cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At wits end!

JayChan
Dabbler

At wits end!

I'm aware that many people stated the TG582n router is a pile of rubbish. So I wasn't expecting it to perform miracles. I've tried running tests on every channel hoping that I'd get a more stable connection. Channel 1-2 is out of the question as the router disappears off the grid completely and the rest from 3-13 kicks me off now and then?
When I tried to connect using ethernet cable it gives me such a varied speed that it's driving me insane. Sometimes it gives me up to 39mb which is still a drop of 10mb from the estimated line speed of 50mb. Sometimes it gives me a line speed of 17mb or less via ethernet? Which practically is unacceptable to receive such huge variations and drops.
Don't even get me started with wireless as I used the broadband speed test/fault checker (http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/) it can drop to down to less than 1mb. So my question is aside from plus net trying to fob me off by telling me to check every channel like last time (which I have thank you very much). Can someone actually do something about it? As this is pushing my limits of my patience when this problem is re-occurring  Angry
15 REPLIES 15
Finguz
Grafter

Re: At wits end!

We picked up a used BT Home Hub 3 from ebay for £8 delivered, and it works perfectly. The TG582n box hasn't been opened, and won't be unless the BT Hub dies before I buy myself an all in one solution.
It's maybe not what you want to hear, but it will fix your issues and you won't have to wait long  Cool
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If the speed tests when connected by Ethernet were done at peak times, it's a known problem that many people on these forums are complaining about.
Regarding the wifi performance of the 582n: some test results. I doubt anyone can do anything about it, besides you getting yourself a better router.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@JayChan
There's a long thread about the latency and speed problems http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111170.544.html is the current page.
You need to Gateway hop if you are getting large slow downs by logging into the Router and Clicking Disconnect in the Internet box, wait about 30 seconds and then Click Connect.
JayChan
Dabbler

While I do appreciate the help. Gateway hop hasn't entirely solved the issue. I still get a too far of a drop of about 75% reduction while on wireless speed in comparison to Ethernet which is ridiculous. I probably will have to invest in a better router.... -.-
Bright
Grafter

Or a Faraday cage  Wink
Are you suffering these wireless speed problems with a computer that is several walls away from the router (ie the wireless signal has to travel through lots of masonry) or with the computer parked right next to it?
If it's this bad with the computer and router quite close together then there might me something more problematic going on. Which might be a problem with the computer or its wireless card (anti-virus programmes have been known to screw up speed tests, for example), with the router itself, or with the "radio environment" in your house (eg a source of radio interference).
I'm sure everyone here appreciates how frustrating this kind of problem can be, so hopefully we can help you figure out what's actually causing the problem and get it fixed.
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: Bright
Or a Faraday cage  Wink

Now that's getting technical  Grin Grin
Try downloading a free program called "inSSIDer". You can run it to see what local networks are on what channels and pick the clearest channel.
JayChan
Dabbler

I've installed the inSSIDer and according to that channel 1 would have been the best bet. As no one uses it. However everytime I try channel 1 the router just drops off and vanishes out of existence. As for the router's physical location. It's underneath the staircase right below my bedroom. So essentially the distance is only one wall away. I've tried uninstalling the wireless drivers on my laptop and reinstalling them to no avail. Excuse my lack of knowledge but what is this "faraday cage" ?
Bright
Grafter

Faraday cage.
I thought I remembered reading that you had tried some empty channels earlier (that's the problem when details of a fault are split across more than one thread!).
The fact that there are no wifi users on channel 1, but there is apparently so much interference on that channel that your computer can't even see the router, led me to wonder about whether you have a problem with RF interference in your house.
Before moving to Plusnet, did you have a different router, and if so, did you use the wifi on it? If so, did it work ok?Huh
So are you saying that you get GOOD speeds when connected by an ethernet cable, when you test outside of the evening peak busy period? You implied that but I don't think said so explicitly.
Sorry to be pedantic, but finding faults usually means eliminating things one step at a time, so it's important to be clear about exactly what works and what doesn't.
Anotherone
Champion

Don't forget that because the 582n has in-built antennae, orientation can make a difference. Try moving it a bit - even 6" can some times make a difference, especially if it's near any metal or lots of cabling, and try turning it as well. But make sure it's ventilation isn't obstructed.
JayChan
Dabbler

Thanks guys. I understand the whole pedantic thing. You're only trying to help so it's appreciated. But yes I used to use a Netgear dg834g and the wireless worked perfectly fine to be honest. I never remember having a hiccup with it. Yes I get relatively good speeds or at least I think it is. Around 30-35 mb via Ethernet cable. Although I'm not sure if it's normal for it to be 10-15mb less than estimated download speed?
Anotherone
Champion

It's what the BT IP Profile for the Line is, that is initially the most important thing. That should be close to your estimate. If download speeds are then slow, there are other issues.
Bright
Grafter

Thanks for the clarifications, JayChan.
So a Netgear DG834G in exactly the same location worked OK wirelessly to the same PC in the same location? I guess there are two issues: first you're trying to push more data through the wireless link now with your FTTC internet, compared with previous ADSL, and second the previous Netgear router only used 802.11g wifi, compared with 802.11n on the current router. In a difficult radio environment, the slower data rate of 802.11g would be more robust than the faster rate of 802.11n (you can force the TG582n to just use 802.11g, but that will also limit throughput!).
To be honest, it looks to me like you're either going to have to buy a different router with better wifi performance (which should help unless you really do have a lot of RF interference which is blocking the wifi channels), or run an ethernet cable upstairs from the router, or use homeplugs to run a data link upstairs over the electrical wiring (but be aware that some FTTC customers have found that homeplugs create interference which affects the FTTC modem and reduces the broadband sync rate).
As Anotherone says, it's your BT IP profile that is more important - you should get throughput a bit less than that rate (using ethernet). Your original estimate is a whole different issue - which particular crystal ball or witch's cauldron BT used to come up with that, nobody is quite sure Wink
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You can't see any other networks on channel 1 for the same reason you can't see your own router on channel 1 - interference of the non-wifi kind. If the interference is widespread, other routers might be avoiding channel 1, if it's local to you, others might be using channel 1 but you just can't detect them through the interference.
JayChan
Dabbler

Thanks guys. At least I more or less understand the situation better now and know what I have to do. *thumbs up*