cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus RT-N56U and FTTC - Compatible? Anything I should know?

Chinster
Grafter

Asus RT-N56U and FTTC - Compatible? Anything I should know?

I have both the Technicolor and the Netgear N150 routers, both work ok with the openreach fibre modem but I would like a boost in both wireless and lan speeds.
I was wondering if this router was compatible?  Easy to set up?  Any issues I should know about?  Simply plug and play (after inputting PN login details of course)?
Any help appreciated!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-N56U-Wireless-Hardware-streaming/dp/B004TPWRSK
14 REPLIES 14
pengbo
Grafter

Re: Asus RT-N56U and FTTC - Compatible? Anything I should know?

go do a search for ASUS RT-N56U in the forum search and you will get lots of hits.  Seems quite popular.
Bjn
Grafter

I tried this router of a few days after ordering from Amazon but returned it after encountering problems.
Pros
Looks good ans wife like the style (plus point if on view in living room)
easy to set up and run just put in user name & password when requested and the auto set up takes about one minute and your connected.
wireless good on both 2,4 and 5Mhz but check what channels other nearby routers are using (inSSIDer3 a good program to check, it's free just google) then set channels to less conjested or unused.
Cons
You dont know unless you dig through the logs when your connection to plusnet drops and reconnects, time up is only for how long router has been powered up. Not good to check for any line problems.
After after firmware upgrade user interface changes and does not resemble on line user manual. Also returns router to a factory default which is not good if you have changed settings.
Unless all your wireless equipment very new 5Mhz wireless is not usable. I had to buy a N600 usb dongle for year old laptop (aslo give better speed on plusnet router)
After day 4 line speed dropped through the floor from a steady 51mb dowm to below 4mb. Telpehone call to Asus support not much help, then call to plusnet revealed multiple drop-out of my connection over last 4 days even though router says none. Plugged in my plusnet router and everything went back to normal. Next day call Asus support and they charge for this not free call which can turn out to be expensive as I've found out. Again they where not much help as line speed dropped again when I used Asus router. Luckly I bought from Amazon, returned and got full refund.

Try it out if you want as risk free with Amazon but a few searches on google brings up other people having problems with this router. Maybe I had a bad router from Asus but I'm sticking with the plusnet router for now and using an old Netgear modem/router in wireless bridge mode to allow multiple wireless connection around house. Works better than Asus router and a no cost option.

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I've been using my RT-N56U for over 2 months & absolutely love it because it works & gives no trouble. Set up was easy via the router's GUI via http://192.168.1.1. It picked up the connection type straight away, I entered my PN log on details & away we went. It boots up very quickly & gives a very strong signal. I bought it to replace my PN supplied router because I was losing too much speed wirelessly. Using the 5 Mhz channel & get no loss whatsoever. My wife uses the 2.4 Mhz for her Nexus 7.
The interface is very user friendly with lots of cool options. Firmware updates are very easy & beforehand I save my settings on a file on my desktop in case I have to reinstall them. So far I haven't had to do this. The firmare update installation takes about 3 minutes, the router reboots itself & away you go. 
The router hasn't dropped synch once in all this time & even yesterday after we had a power cut I was back on line within 30 secs of the power being restored. This OAP can highly recommend the RT-N56U.  Cheesy
Sebtomato
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What's the difference between the Asus router and the TP Link TL-WR1043ND costing half the price?
Both seem to have wireless n and gigabit ports.
What's the real benefit of dual band, when using existing equipment that does not probably support 5Ghz... Apart from my laptop and smart phone, I don't think the rest even support n but probably limited to g speed.
tijara33
Pro

What's the difference between the Asus router and the TP Link TL-WR1043ND costing half the price?

Because I tried one before I bought the Asus. IMHO the the "R" in WR1043ND stands for Rubbish. I sent it back to Amazon he following day. It was nearly as bad as the PN piece of junk.
adie:green fixed quote]
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Admittedly, I have only had the WR1043ND for 2 months but I connected it up and it "just worked"*. Wireless is reliable throughout the house even with everyone around me appearing to have devices that auto-select the channel I select to avoid interference  Roll_eyes
* yes, I did make changes to set it as I wanted it immediately it was running.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Chinster
Grafter

Thank you very much chaps.  One poor review and one glowing, food for thought!
Bit confused by dual band wireless, what is it exactly?
markm9
Grafter

Hi chinster, you can make that 2 poor reviews for the tp-link, im sending mine back to amazon, as well, i have to agree with tijara33, sorry  Sad
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Chinster
Thank you very much chaps.  One poor review and one glowing, food for thought!
Bit confused by dual band wireless, what is it exactly?

Have a look at http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wireless80211/f/dual-band-wireless.htm
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
flaminmoses
Grafter

the rt-n56u is decent but i prefered the usage under one of the old firmwares.
the new one didnt seem right.
i now use the new firmware on the ac66u and its a lot better.
2.4ghz has a better signal on the n56u though!!!!
Sebtomato
Rising Star

From what I have read and understood:
* Wireless G and lower speed run on 2.4 Ghz (same frequency as microwave oven, cordless phones, radio remote controls etc)
* Wireless N can work on 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz (less busy frequency). Better if living in a block of flat with many wireless networks around. Network card or device (smart phone, tablet) would need to be able to use the 5 Ghz frequency (some older models don't and are limited to 2.4 Ghz, in which case dual band is useless).
Dual-band routers are able to use both frequencies, although not necessarily at the same time (depends on the models)
Some models with wireless N and Gigabit ports:
TP-Link TL-WR1043ND 300Mbps Wireless N Gigabit Cable Router
£42
Does not have dual band, so all wireless connections to be done on the busy 2.4 Ghz frequency.
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit CABLE Router
£60
Does have dual band, and can run two different SSIDs/wireless networks on the two frequencies at the same time. Therefore, wireless N devices can connect to a specific 5 Ghz wireless network
Hardware NAT (faster routing)
ASUS RT-N56U - 300Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router
£80, 3 year warranty
Does have dual band, and can run two different SSIDs/wireless networks on the two frequencies at the same time. Therefore, wireless N devices can connect to a specific 5 Ghz wireless network
Hardware NAT (faster routing)
The ASUS router has a few more functions and can run custom firmwares, but for most people, the TP-Link TL-WDR3600 is probably also very effective, cheaper and does support dual band wireless.
If your various computers/devices support wireless N but not 5 Ghz, then dual band has no benefits. Same applies if you live in an isolated area, with not many 2.4 Ghz networks around, in which case 2.4 Ghz is fine.
tijara33
Pro

The ASUS router has a few more functions and can run custom firmwares

The best custom firmware is written by a Russian, Padavan. His firmware allows you to allocate a "guest" login on both frequencies which is really useful if you have visitors or if your neighbours want to watch Sky sports!!!
Bjn
Grafter

Quote from: flaminmoses
the rt-n56u is decent but i prefered the usage under one of the old firmwares.
the new one didnt seem right.
i now use the new firmware on the ac66u and its a lot better.
2.4ghz has a better signal on the n56u though!!!!

Maybe this is why I had problems before the firmware update on rt-n56u it was fine then did update and thinking back that's when the problems began. The new interface does not resemble even the newest on line manual on Asus website. Anyway to many line drops for me and was affecting line speed even though router logs says none so it went back. But as I said maybe I had a defective router as it can happens now and again no matter how good the make/model . If you use Amazon you have no problems returning if you have problems of any sort but you pay a premium price for this against the TP-Link router which I may give a try.
Sebtomato
Rising Star

Note that the price of the Asus RT-N56U has dropped a lot today, from Amazon and Dabs outlet on eBay.