cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus N66U Users Thread

TBag
Grafter

Re: Asus N66U Users Thread

Don't know much about AC66U. How is your download speed on 5ghz?
The Asus RT-N66U that I have resides on the second floor, and I also have an Apple Airport Extreme, very powerful wifi router having both 2.4ghz & 5ghz signal. That is located on the ground floor. The idea being that 2nd & 1st floor to be served by Asus and ground floor by Apple. Now even on the ground floor the Asus 5ghz wifi matches and sometimes exceeds the Apple performance as exhibited by the download speed.
Bright
Grafter

I have just updated my first post at the beginning of this thread with some useful resources that might be of interest to people considering this router (I thought it would be more useful to have this info at the start of the thread rather than buried in the middle). If anyone has additional useful resources, let me know and I can add them.
Also, I've reverted my firmware from Merlin 270.26b to 266.23b as I was suffering from wifi drop-outs again on the later firmware (it uses different drivers for the Broadcom wifi radios). I will test out the latest Asus beta firmware shortly, since this is supposed to fix the problem.
TBag
Grafter

Top work.
Surprised about  the wifi drop-outs on Merlin 270.26b. Never but never have I had any, but then YMMV  Smiley
thomasjc1
Grafter

Quote from: Bright
I have just updated my first post at the beginning of this thread with some useful resources that might be of interest to people considering this router (I thought it would be more useful to have this info at the start of the thread rather than buried in the middle). If anyone has additional useful resources, let me know and I can add them.
Also, I've reverted my firmware from Merlin 270.26b to 266.23b as I was suffering from wifi drop-outs again on the later firmware (it uses different drivers for the Broadcom wifi radios). I will test out the latest Asus beta firmware shortly, since this is supposed to fix the problem.

Thats brilliant thanks very much for that bright
kelvin
Grafter

Having bought myself an ASUS because of lack of wireless connectivity with the PN supplied router I am considering returning it as my modem has been behaving very well for the last 3 or 4 day. Download speeds have been around 5 or 6 (which is fine for my wireless use) but this evening is up to 16Mbps.
I really don't understand why this has happened as I had virtually no connectivity for the first 2 or 3 days after fibre connection. I bought the ASUS from Amazon so have 30 days to continue reviewing before making a final decision
AndyH
Grafter

@ kelvin Do you mean you ordered the Asus and haven't received it yet (and are currently still using your Technicolor router)?
kelvin
Grafter

@AndyH. I am indeed still using the PN technicolor router which is in the same place as originally (when I got no or very poor wireless connectivity) and I am now getting useable speeds (although nothing like the 64Mbps I get wired).
I received the ASUS on Monday but have not yet unwrapped as time pressures and wireless working consistently since last Thursday meant there was no need to.
I am on the wired desktop at the moment so cannot post details of wireless speeds but technicolor router was giving me between 10 and 16Mbps last night.
I will test on a daily basis for the next week or so but I am tempted to return the ASUS for a refund
TBag
Grafter

As Asus router is dual band, ie along with the normal 2.4 ghz wifi signal, it can also provide 5 ghz signal, which is very fast, so unless you have devices that are capable of receiving the 5 GHZ wifi signal, the Asus router would probably be a bit over the top.
Having said that, Asus is a very capable router, and in every department it ticks the boxes as a replacement for the PN supplied Technicolor router.
thomasjc1
Grafter

i was just looking at the clients section and didnt recognise a mac address i clicked on it and found this. is it something to do with the router? if so its confused me cause says samsung
Here are the results of your search through the public section of the IEEE Standards OUI database report for 00-16-6B:
00-16-6B   (hex) Samsung Electronics
00166B     (base 16) Samsung Electronics
416,Maetan-3Dong,Yeongtong-Gu
Suwon-City Kyeonggi-Do 443-742
KOREA, REPUBLIC OF
Your attention is called to the fact that the firms and numbers listed may not always be obvious in product implementation. Some manufacturers subcontract component manufacture and others include registered firms' OUIs in their products.
AndyH
Grafter

Do you have a Samsung TV with Smart?
TBag
Grafter

@thomasjc1
Unless you have set your wireless without a passcode, the only devices that would be connected should be within your own LAN. As AndyH says a samsung TV, perhaps a samsung mobile, laptop, printer any thing really.
thomasjc1
Grafter

i know what it is sky box is samsung god that was bugging me thanks chaps
TBag
Grafter

Ah ha, so Lord Sugar is using Samsung parts then  Smiley
thomasjc1
Grafter

there are a few a few makes of sky boxes amstrad, samsung are the most common
TBag
Grafter

Ok, I didn't know that Samsung also made sky boxes.