Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus N66U Users Thread

MorthosDBC
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: Asus N66U Users Thread

Hey N66U users.
Anyone able to help me with the following please? I have an ASUS DSL-N66U but I'm having issues getting it working stable on my Plusnet FTTC install.  Any other DSL-N66U users able to post screenshots of their config or a step-by-step of what you configured for either direct on the DSL port using the device as a VDSL modem/router or if you've had any luck getting the DSL-N66U configured successfully leaving the BT Modem in place and connecting via the WAN port? (Currently on the stock ASUS firmware, latest once available).
If I use the VDSL capabilities of the N66U I see much better upload speeds than the supplied BT Modem (18mb vs the 14mb I get otherwise) but I seem to lose the connection a lot.
Tried setting up via the WAN and leaving the modem in place and I just cannot get it to connect this way (the WAN icon indicates cannot get a response from the remote server). (Would be happy leaving the BT Modem in place even with the lower upload speed just for the better wi-fi and features, otherwise this device is just an expensive doorstop!)
TIA
PS: I've attached a screenie of the line stats from when it was on the DSL port in case anyone sees anything interesting that might indicate why a lot of disconnects (not sure noise margins I should be looking for on FTTC).
redbull2k14
Grafter

I have the same unit as you. i left them feedback through the router gui told them that its rubbish and they needed to sort it out. i did have an email back off them and they wanted me to run some test for them to analyze maybe you can do the same and with at least 2 of us helping with information maybe they can get it fixed in a firmware update. the last email i had off them was to - Please go to Administration->DSL Setting, set Stability Adjustment to 10dB. i have not tried this yet.
darklight
Grafter

I have a Asus rt-n66u just wonder as the latest merlin FW got better wifi range than the stock Asus FW, i'm using the latest stock 3.0.0.4.374_5517.
darklight
Grafter

If anyones interested new firmware out
2014.06.27  update ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.376.1071
shure
Grafter

cheers darklight.  When I check the firmware status page it's a bit misleading as it says "you have the latest firmware."  But after clicking on the "check" button that changes.  Probably better to have no message at all unless you click (or better still, check automatically for you)!
Downloading now Smiley
anniesboy
Rising Star

Asus rt-n66u , Can anyone who uses one tell if it can be wall mounted?
AndyH
Grafter

Yes it can.
Are you considering buying it?
anniesboy
Rising Star

Possibly ,though I have been pleasantly surprised with the supplied FTTC router.
Wired I get around 34 Mb/s , wireless on ground floor of my 100 year old house,with brick walls its around 13 Mb/s.
Outside on a deck area 3-6 Mb/s  I use it here to watch Sky Go which is OK most of the time but I do get some buffering.
As we are nearing autumn I wont be using wifi outside too much.
If I do go for the Asus a tidy installation will be required (my wife insists)
AndyH
Grafter

The N66U is a little bit old now, although a very good router still.
Asus are in the process of having a bit of a revamp of their routers and router firmware.
The other option would be the DSL-xx range (it's a router/modem in one) that supports VDSL2 - this would mean you would not need the Openreach modem.
Edit: This one - http://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/DSLAC68U/ but I am not sure on the cost (is around $200 in the US).
anniesboy
Rising Star

Thank you for your suggestions,I will see how things go, fibre has been installed just over two weeks.
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Ive had fibre installed for one week now and all is looking good, after reading some reviews here about asus I decided to give them a try after always using netgear products. Im using this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DYT2MPK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00
Router seams to be holding upto its job, it offers standard 2,4ghz wireless and 5ghz... ive tried the 5ghz and don't see much difference so ive reverted back too default 2.4. Apart from that this router I have no issues with Smiley

Above is my wired connection, my wireless gives me 50 meg down and 17 up.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

I'm in.
Let's see if that solves my daily disconnections. Modem to PN up for 10 days solid but I kept losing connections about 3 or 4 times a day for about 30 secs a go.
Let's be careful out there !
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

I've had my Asus running for quute some time now and I've noticed that the 5g signal is up and down like a yoyo most days. 2.4g is smooth but slower.
Up till this week, according to android wifi analyser, I was alone on the 5g spectrum. One of my neighbours has now got a BT Homehub and I can see him on channel 36. The Asus has now moved me to 48.
His signal is rock solid at a constant 30db, through a party wall, whilst my Asus fluctuates from 30 to 70 and when it hits 70 I lose my tablet connection which is only about 8 feet away with all 3 aerials in line of sight and set at the 45/0/45 as recommended.
Also on the latest firmware.
Who makes the homehub as it does seem to be a good unit and worth considering.
Let's be careful out there !
Birchy6

Sorry to reopen an old thread but I have just bought an RT-N66u to replace my technicolor TG582n and I cannot get it to work. I just get a time out error in the connection wizard. I have tried putting PPPoE and my full plusnet username and password. I have also tried applying all the settings such as ip address, subnet, default gateway, DNS servers and concentrator manually but to no avail!?
Any ideas? Thanks
cedlor
Grafter

@Birchy6
Hi -  Are you on ADSL connection?
Are you aware that unlike the 582N which is a combined Router/modem that the RT N66u  is ONLY a Router and needs a Modem to connect.