cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking for a MAC

Griffo
Grafter

Re: Asking for a MAC

Even after you've weighed up all that PN can offer and are still happy to leave, is there a simple way to request your MAC rather than have retentions trying to keep you?
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Just tell them that when you talk to them.  They aren't very pushy, and will respect your request to leave if you tell them so.  There are quite a few other companies that will try their hardest to talk you into staying no matter what you say to them.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

James
Grafter

Yes, absolutely.
If you talk to one of our Retentions Agents, just tell them that you're decided and that you just want your MAC Code.  They're not going to withhold it.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

James,
So why can't a customer raise a ticket saying something like:
I have decided to migrate to another ISP. My decision is final and I don't want to discuss it with PlusNet. Please issue my MAC ASAP or faster.
Why not?
adie:quote
James
Grafter

I think in general, most people would prefer to be able to talk to someone to make sure that it was being actioned.
Because of that, we've got a full team of people answering calls, which is more efficient - if people are calling about concerns over the service, or they want to discuss possible pricing or recontracting options, then it's much easier for us and them to be able to talk to someone about these sort of things.
From that perspective, it's better for both ourselves and our customers to have all the lines staffed, rather than what would be less time efficient measures with the tickets.  Now - for technical support issues, that doesn't apply, for example, with faults, as the faults guys can have 5 accounts open at the same time, testing issues.
Certainly, we've stanced ourselves on calls and letters (which are few) because ultimately, it's a more time effective (for both sides) way of doing things.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Kelly
The reasons quite simple.  If you talk to someone, we are more likely to be able to retain you with a product more or an offer, or fix your problem so you don't have to leave.   It's nothing sinister at all.

Does this mean that I should ask for a MAC code every few months, on the principle that I might get a few quid knocked off?
If you gave me a MAC code - I could just let it lapse.  Smiley Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Griffo
Grafter

Quote from: Wheel_nut
James,
So why can't a customer raise a ticket saying something like:
I have decided to migrate to another ISP. My decision is final and I don't want to discuss it with PlusNet. Please issue my MAC ASAP or faster.
Why not?
[Moderator's note by Adie (Adiewoo):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]

I'd have to second this. All I want is a simple answer with my code and bob's your uncle. No mucking around waiting in telephone queues. Just my two cents.
techguy
Grafter

Errr thirded, like I said earlier, should be automated.
James
Grafter

Ok - A theoretical.
Let's say that someone writes into the BBC and makes a massive complaint about us (say they have a reallly really long line and they're complaining about speeds and they haven't spoken to us about it) and the BBC runs an article on their website, or a news programme.
If we had automated MAC Code generation, then we've just potentially lost thousands of customers.  We need to be realistic, we are a business afteralll.
I do understand that there are people who may prefer to get a MAC Code via the website, but we're trying to cater as best as we can for our entire customer base.  Calls to our Retentions Team are also generally answered very quickly.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

But you said ....
Quote from: Jameseh
If you talk to one of our Retentions Agents, just tell them that you're decided and that you just want your MAC Code.  They're not going to withhold it.

So why can't I do just that by raising a ticket?
I am thinking of the case of my referral who had decided to move to O2 and knew what he was doing .... and yet, he couldn't get his MAC until four days later when he gave in and ploned the Retentions team.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Dont want one yet, but it costs nothing to raise a ticket, it does to phone
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

My neighbour rang up Plusnet to get his MAC because he was sick of slow speeds and thought he'd do better with another ISP.
He was persuaded to take the free modem and his speed to be investigated.
He had a Sky box unfiltered.
He's now a very happy Plusnet user again.
It he had been given a MAC by ticket he'd have been a lost customer and probably still unhappy with his speeds until the new ISP sussed it out (if they did). Then he'd be unhappy that he'd gone through the hassle of changing (including email addresses) for no good reason.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)