Ask the Boss - Answers discussion thread

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Ask the Boss - Answers discussion thread

Quote from: pierre_pierre
it is against EU law to take personal information collected outside the EU

Afraid not.
There's a presumption that if inside the EU the relevant safeguards are in place. Outside the EU you just have to follow the rules and/or get permission.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well the above mentioned article has another link http://tinyurl.com/3cjfs2 and one part reads  under the Data Protection Act,
Personal information may not be transmitted outside the European Economic Area without your consent or when the data can't otherwise be kept secure

after digging down its here http://www.ico.gov.uk/what_we_cover/data_protection/international.aspx
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If they want to export information gathered within the EU they have to promise that exported information will be held to the same standard as if it had remained in the EU.
However, government institutions in the UK appear to be able to give private information away - have they found those CD collections yet?  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

avollmer
Grafter

All - thanks for continuing to contribute and debate. I am happy to field further questions (I will ask the comms team to coordinate) and I will be as direct as I can be - but as many of you recognise, I am unlikely to rule things out completely, and you all collectively set a high bar for definitive answers!
To reference a recent point, I would add that our plans are definitely not to adopt a "charge for all added extras approach" which seems to be something some of you are picking up on. Happy to field points on any specific examples, and more importantly, take on board ideas for what we can do.
On Phorm, I can honestly say right now that we have no plans (or bandwidth) to even look at it.
Anthony
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I don't think you could be any clearer on Phorm Anthony but there will be those who don't want to hear Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

think he must have said something that made the brain adlers go into over scramble 
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: artmo
I don't think you could be any clearer on Phorm Anthony but there will be those who don't want to hear Wink

I'm very glad to hear it.
But it would have been better said before the EU threatened the UK over it's weak defence of personal privacy.
Should have been perfectly obvious it would never run.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

well why didnt you accept it
VileReynard
Hero

I fully accept that PN (and BT) will not be able to use Phorm - although I suspect that it is a reluctant decision on their part.

glyndev
Grafter

I would like to thank Anthony for asking for and taking the time to answer questions from the customer base. Nowadays it is almost to find any company where the CEO is customer facing. Most hide behind at least one layer of management, are not interested in the views of the customers at all and are only interested in the bottom line of the balance sheet to impress the shareholders.
Santiago
Grafter

I believe in any business the man at the top can and should be the best salesman in the company. To do that they need to be customer facing and take on board the views of the customers. If this is done the bottom line and balance sheet will benefit from the results.
Mr Vollmer appears to going down this route albeit from a slow start.  His presence on the forum is one way forward and I hope it continues.
VileReynard
Hero

I agree - Mr Vollmer should definitely be encouraged in gaining awareness of what the customers want or need from Plusnet.
This should include this forum, and perhaps the PN newsletter could be resurrected to broadcast the latest information.
(well I haven't seen a newletter for the last few months anyway).

avollmer
Grafter

I think the next edition of the newsletter is close to sending. I'll check with Pete.
I'm on leave next week in case anyone wonders why I have gone quiet again.
Anthony
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and can you remind Pete about the missing newsletter Archive on the Portal, enjoy your Holiday
paulby
Grafter

@pierre_pierre
It's moved here.  You need to scroll down to get the older ones.  (Older ones are still on the main site.)