Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask the Boss - Answers discussion thread

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Ask the Boss - Answers discussion thread

Plusnet's reputation would suffer.
It would be bad enough installing the Phorm spyware - but to attempt to lock people in would gain them so much bad publicity that it would be suicidal.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Dodgydog
Grafter

Hmm ok i know this is off topic but since phorm seems to dominate the latest posts i have a question : Since what i have read  i believe phorm is spyware which collects your browsing habits to sell to advertisers so you can be targeted with "spam" advertising etc , how many people who are against it have store loyalty cards eg Tesco clubcard , nectar card , Boots advantage card etc because you are paid in points etc in return for the card issuer tracking what you buy where and when to target services and offers which you might be interested in . What is the difference ?
has anybody had any actual experience of it in action ?
oh by the way a big comet is going to hit earth in 5 to 10 years time, should we a) fire the missiles now or b)wait to see if it will hit us and how big it is before we fire  Roll_eyes
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I've had experince of Tesco clubcard passing on personal details without permission, but as you say a bit off topic.
Laser
Grafter

Quote from: Dodgydog
What is the difference ?

This is off-topic but...
1) The Phorm user gets no reward.
2) Supermarkets don't force you to have a store card.
3) Nor are you required to use it, or otherwise identify yourself, for every purchase.
4) Supermarkets don't pretend it's anonymous.
Such discussions are probably best held on the Phorm thread, before a friendly moderator has a "quiet word". Wink Lips_are_sealed
ctech500
Grafter

I have my made my thoughts on Phorm earlier in this thread but those of you who are strongly opposed to it
the following link may be of interest you you.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7998009.stm
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Time Gentlemen Please!
Back on topic if you wouldn't mind...
VileReynard
Hero

Can we have some more specific answers to criticise first?
Seems "the boss" wasn't even prepared to rule out using Phorm software - even though it's illegal (in Europe). Angry
Perhaps a few more hard facts for us to get our teeth into. Grin

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Maybe a good old fashioned QA session is called for like the morning after the Product Refresh. But I don't think Anthony has the teeth and stamina that Mand displayed. Wink
Why do anything else but lead from the rear with front line troops like those. Smiley
Management is a bit like politics as far as straight absolute answers are concerned.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Several points:-
1. I do not accept Chemical Brother's apparent view that all the messages here should be sanitized, creepily polite, sycophantic agreement with everything Mr Vollmer says. If that is the level of moderation that is to be enforced, then this whole process is pointless.
2. Many of the answers are meaningless. Putting "Currently" in the Phorm answer could mean "until someone walks into my office and says different"  - which could be in 2 minutes time.  If Mr Vollmer had said "Phorm will not be introduced for at least one year and we have no plans at the moment to introduce it at that time", it would have been a stronger  answer that would have left Plusnet reasonable business freedom and satisfied more customers.
3. Similarly, the answers about retaining legacy products and additional features left plenty of room for manoeuvre. You want CGI, sure, its £10 per month extra. Its the BT way - charging extra for every minor add-on that their competitors include as part of package
4. Finally, with regard to the 03 number for support. I am happy with this answer providing the 0114 number continues to function. However, I saw no commitment that it would. Plusnet Home phone is not much of a bargain when compared with 18185 and the like, so I do not see myself joining just to get free support calls.
I suppose the answers ruled out my worst possible nightmares but they were very much at the level of business press release speak - emphasise that the glass still has beer in it but don't point out that half of it has already been drunk!
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: EnglishMohican

2. Many of the answers are meaningless. Putting "Currently" in the Phorm answer could mean "until someone walks into my office and says different"  - which could be in 2 minutes time.  If Mr Vollmer had said "Phorm will not be introduced for at least one year and we have no plans at the moment to introduce it at that time", it would have been a stronger  answer that would have left Plusnet reasonable business freedom and satisfied more customers.

I disagree. "At the moment" means the same as "currently" so there's no difference between the answer you are criticising and the one you propose.
VileReynard
Hero

Where does it say "At the moment"?

geewizz
Grafter

After "we have no plans", and before "to introduce it at that time".
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@ The Legend
Quote from: EnglishMohican

My Bold See the red bit
VileReynard
Hero

Anyway - it looks like PN aka BT have been overtaken by events.
Our regulators are poodles - luckily the EU have a bit more backbone.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

have a look at this  http://tinyurl.com/5jdbv6 its from the Information Commisioners Office about
There is a big article in the latest Personal Computer World Mag, Jun 2009/  Voln32 No 6.
Another throw away comment it is against EU law to take personal information collected outside the EU and since Phorm is out side the EU ........ Roll_eyes