Arley Cheshire Exchange

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Arley Cheshire Exchange

ejs,
Do you have a inky please?
These are my back yard - they are not exactly next door to each other and Weaverham is massively bigger than Arley and has had FTTC for some time.  I guess that must be in-fill work, whilst Arley is first foot fall.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Go to: https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/help-and-support/network-information.htm
Click on "National Service Migration Schedules & CP Forecast Templates" to expand that section.
The list of exchanges and dates is in the "WBC National Service Migration Schedule" files.
antrobus
Hooked

Hi,
Can anyone tell me whether this upgrade to the Arley Cheshire exchange has happened? Plusnet told us in August that it should be "soon" but I can see no evidence of anything taking place (either by searching for information online or by an improvement to our pitiful broadband speed). We are served by Cabinet 1 btw (if that's any use).
Thanks in advance.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Antrobus,
A warm welcome to the forums.
Take a look at what this - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php - says is available.  You are looking for 21CN and or FTTC services.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

The BT wholesale availability checker should be the most up to date: https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
A phone number I found on Google maps says WBC ADSL2+ is available on Exchange ARLEY.
antrobus
Hooked

Thanks for the welcome.
I checked the links posted previously in this thread. Seems to be conflicting information.
Kitz ADSL Checker gives me this . . .
Exchange: Arley BT Code: MRARL
Distance:- Direct: 2.97 km
(appx)* By Road: 4.3 km
Status
ADSL enabled: June 22, 2005
DSL Max enabled: March 31, 2006
21CN WBC (Broadband) Not available
21CN due : (PSTN) info N/A
FTTC Not available
SDSL enabled : Enabled
Broadband Access Market Broadband Access† Market 1
BT price band BTw Pricing Band Band E

whilst the BT Wholesale links gives me this  . . .
Telephone Number 01565xxxxxx on Exchange ARLEY is served by Cabinet 1
Featured Products
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 2 Up to 0.5 1 to 3.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 1 to 2.5 Available
Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available
Hence my confusion. If anyone can throw some light on the situation I'd be very grateful.
Cheers

ejs
Aspiring Hero

The kitz checker looks very similar to the https://www.samknows.com/ one, which I assume hasn't been updated with the most recent 21CN / WBC upgrades. Perhaps because there's relatively little interest in ADSL2+ these days, as it's not superfast.
If Plusnet haven't already transferred you automatically, they should be able to place an order and get you switched over. It may be several (working) days before the change happens. Unfortunately, mostly due to the length of your line, you will gain little if any extra speed, but the different IP Profile system will allow you to use more of it. You can also get more upstream speed for free, which shouldn't usually cause any problems.
antrobus
Hooked

Hi ejs,
Quote from: ejs
Unfortunately, mostly due to the length of your line, you will gain little if any extra speed, but the different IP Profile system will allow you to use more of it.

I don't profess to be any type of expert in these matters but the above is interesting.
These are my speed test results (which I would be more than happy with if they bore ANY resemblance to what is actually happening.)
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.91 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4.06 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps
In actual fact however I am not able to download anything at a speed greater than 230kbps and upload speed is restricted to just 40kbps. Every source, UK or overseas, the speed max's out at the same level. Is there a way this can be addressed?
As ever, any help would be greatly appreciated. Having recently returned to the UK from Asia where we were getting a 1G local service, this is frustrating to say the least!!
Cheers

cedlor
Grafter

I am thinking if you are moving away from the original thread topic it would be better to start your own thread,
Read the  Speed sticky at the top of the forum and post your test results. Perhaps someone can spot something.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

1. You are clearly still on 20CN.
2. Your IP profile is at 2Mbps for some reason, someone from Plusnet might need to look into it, 2Mbps is a default value which it may get stuck at.
But if someone from Plusnet reads this thread, they'll probably arrange to transfer you to WBC / 21CN first, rather than try and fix the stuck IP profile (unless it can be fixed quickly and easily, which probably isn't possible on 20CN).
I also feel like mentioning that I don't think there are any higher BTWholesale costs in Market A (previously Market 1) areas for WBC, but if Plusnet want to keep people on WBC paying extra outside of low-cost areas, that's down to Plusnet.
At least your speed is better than the estimates.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: antrobus
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.91 Mbps
In actual fact however I am not able to download anything at a speed greater than 230kbps and upload speed is restricted to just 40kbps. Every source, UK or overseas, the speed max's out at the same level. Is there a way this can be addressed?

Where do those latter figures come from?
Are you sure that they were not 230kBps and 40kBps?
Speed test reports tend to be BITS per second, where are data transfer rates reported by data copying / downloading programs report in BYTES per second.
1 BYTE = 8 Bits but you also need data check bits too.  As a rule of thumb, I'd work on 10kbps will deliver 1kBps data transfer.

antrobus
Hooked

Sorry, yes. Apologies for the confusion.  Those no.s should read kB/s. (i.e. see attached for current example)  Is that the best I can expect then under the current set up?
Cheers
P.S. I'm attempting to contact support no re: a transfer to WBC/21CN. Have to say, I'm rapidly my interest in the "Sheffield Sound".
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Antrobus,
If your are fortunate, someone from CRT might pick up your statement of desire here and action the regrade for you.... you could also try to do it via chat.  There is no charge for a swap to 21CN, it requires no engineer visit to your home.