cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are wide variations in fibre speed normal ?

edgeways
Grafter

Are wide variations in fibre speed normal ?

I have been upgraded to fibre 80/20 for about a month now, all seems stable with constant connection, no drops that I can determine,  but BT speed tests show wild variations.
Lots of tests show download speeds in the low 30 Mbs. with pings in the 30s. However repeating the test a few minutes later often gives download speeds more in keeping with expectation, ie. between high fifties and sixties sometimes giving 70 plus Mbps.
My Bt ip profile is currently  77.44 Mbps and has remained constant since the first week. Upload is pretty stable between 14 to 17 Mbs. Does any one have similar experiences and is this normal for FTTC ? ( BTW the cabinet is only about 100 metres away.)
Mike (edgeways)
9 REPLIES 9
njay
Grafter

Re: Are wide variations in fibre speed normal ?

Yep.
Mine was mid April and whilst my ip profile is lisp 77.44 it does vary quite a bit. Worse results at peak times with best results in the morning or before approximately 5pm
paulg123
Grafter

I always get the same results on speedtest.net which is around 63mb down and 17.5-18 up no matter what time of day
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Some variations in download speeds at peak times are quite normal, especially from one minute to the next. However if you are seeing significant and consistent slowdown, then there is either a fault or congestion that you should report.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Mike,
Are you connected via a wired or wireless connection when performing the speed tests?
dannystokie
Grafter

I only see mild peak time slow downs occasionally.
i hit 73Mb on speedtest.net and sometimes at peak times it will drop to 68/69 Mb.
edgeways
Grafter

Thanks to all for your replies.
Re the query from Chris, I am using a wired Ethernet connection when carrying out speed tests.
Interesting that this morning I have done a couple of tests both giving 73 Mbps plus .
Does that seem to indicate that the connection is quite healthy and that the slow speeds are possibly due to some sort of congestion ?
I will continue to monitor speeds for a few days and report .
Thanks, regards.
Mike (edgeways)
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm checking to see the status of your exchange for any capacity issues, unfortunately your exchange hasn't come through on the report we receive. I've requested for this to be updated and if there's any issues I'll let you know and chase this up.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your exchange is showing no capacity issues, I'd suggest running thorugh our faults wizard at http://faults.plus.net and we'll take a further look into this.
edgeways
Grafter

Update to this issue :
The problem seems to have been fixed without referring to support. Speed tests have now become very consistent at around the expected 70 Mbps.
I have no idea where the fix has come from, maybe the exchange?  Nevertheless now a happy bunny again.
Thanks for help and advice.
Mike (edgeways)