cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are these uncorrected errors excessive?

grahamn
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Are these uncorrected errors excessive?

Thanks guys.
Quick post for updating.....What can I say, just setup a 2580vn and it's like chalk n cheese. 18Mbps sync, lightning fast performance, but just about need a Phd to set the darn things up LOL I'll be learning this thing for weeks to come.
But yes, with same wiring, so far, so good, will continue to monitor.
I'm already wondering about using the 2800 for WDN...if I understand that right about increasing Wireless reach...
Graham.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hmm, been splashing the cash eh? and I expect you mean a 2850vn  Cry
Do you mean WDS http://www.draytek.com/user/SupportAppnotesDetail.php?ID=118 ?
grahamn
Rising Star

Yes on all counts, unfortunately....it is rather pricey when all said and done, but the capability is pretty darned good and the VOIP carries on as before.
And no, I shouldn't type when in a hurry, 10x more typos than normal and that's going some.
So yes trying a 2850, with sync now approaching 20Mbps!, SNR of 2  - this bit has me nervous  Wink and so far good throughput....except on speedtest.net where my uploads seem to have dropped back from .82 to .44, not sure if this is due to anything in particular, as the wife "enjoyed" th extra upload speed when uploading the merchandise pics for the website ...so a shame if that's changed.
and yes I was thinking of the Wireless WDS....depending on range we now get.
So, keeping an eye on this beast and see if it behaves any better...
G.
Anotherone
Champion

You are going to like this - it seems your 2800 isn't the only thing with uncorrected errors  Cheesy
Have you noticed how far away the N key is from the S key  Grin
But don't worry about it, I do it all the time, when I look at what I typed you'd think I was dyslexic  Shocked
I'm especially good at putting ; instead of '  but the annoying thing is FF spell checker doesn't always find errors with [ or ] in.  Lips_are_sealed
Blim
Grafter

"« Last Edit: Today at 22:15 by Anotherone »"
LoL  Roll_eyes
Anotherone
Champion

Tongue LoL
grahamn
Rising Star

Tongue is all I can say to that!  Cheesy
I cannot help the fact my fingers cannot type at the speed of my brain....I this amazing ability to proof read before hitting send and seeing nothing wrong.
The minute I press "send", there's thousands of 'em.......I think thats what those uncorrected errors really are, it's not my typing at all (guv)  Roll_eyes
So back to work  Sad why's my upload halved in speed ?!? D/load speeds are no prob at all but the upload is a tad pedestrian now (no offence to pedestrians you understand)  Cool
G.
grahamn
Rising Star

Quote from: Anotherone
FF spell checker doesn't always find errors with [ or ] in.  Lips_are_sealed

There's a spell checker in this thing?!? I don't think mine's working in that case. Either that or I have worn it out!  Roll_eyes
Anotherone
Champion

How about some stats then for this super box?
And you need https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/british-english-dictionary/?src=api
It has words missing that it shouldn't have but you can add them to the dictionary.
WWWombat
Grafter

(Whoops - I typed this reply in this afternoon, and obviously forgot to hit the 'post' button then  Embarrassed . It looks like things might be getting sorted out anyway.
Still, this is useful background info)
To follow-up on this aspect:
Quote from: grahamn
Which kind of brings me onto Jelv's question as well. To my understanding one wants as much clear air between noise and data as you can, given the trade-off against throughput. To my mind, having gone from 6 on ADSL1, to 3db on ADSL2 is fine, but when it dips to  2 and even 1 at points yesterday, delays etc are apparent - which to my mind is packet resends to be corrected, due to corruption (uncorrected). So I don't (maybe wrongly) regard 2.5 db margin as necessarily good. That says to me , your data is b***** close to the noise  Undecided Do please correct me if this is wrong.

It is the right thinking, theoretically, but we haven't seen enough evidence to back it up in reality, and indeed some evidence to discount it. The path of consequences is something like this...
- A drop in SNRM would normally mean that noise has gone up (rather than signal dropping down).
- This in turn would normally imply that there is more risk of interference on the received data.
- Actual interference of data would then normally lead to an increase in errors in the blocks of data being received.
- If interleaving is turned on (and the FEC process is therefore active), you'd expect to see the FEC counter increasing at a faster rate than before.
- And whatever the state of FEC, you'd expect to see the standard-error counter increasing at a faster rate (This goes under many names, CRC and HEC are common counters). If FEC is turned on, the standard error counter would normally increase at a lower rate than when FEC is turned off - but this is hard to quantify for any one line.
- When the actual error rate (standard, not FEC) starts to get too high, you'd normally see intervention by DLM - which would increase the target noise margin and/or turn on interleaving.
- An increase in the actual error rate would normally also be reflected in packet loss - visible to any higher levels within the computer (such as when transferring files, or browsing the web) . However, ICMP packets, like "ping" packets or some DNS lookup packets, will be dropped.
- A loss of ICMP "ping" packets will be visible on the TBB BQM "ping graph"
- Once packet loss becomes too high, the knock-on effect becomes " slow browsing" as failures occur in DNS requests, and in the completion of downloads of individual components (html, js and image files)
Alternatively, the other effect of a drop in SNRM would be
- The drop in SNRM is sufficient to not only cause errors in user data, but also in the framing data used to show the modem where blocks start & end
- Or it obliterates the signal entirely
- The modem detects these kinds of problems, and chooses to disconnect from the far end, and re-synchronise.
- When re-synchronising, the modems will apply the target SNRM to establish an overhead. If high noise is still present, this will result in a drop in speed.
- While resynchronising is in progress, the user's computers will see slow-loading pages, and failure to contact DNS. A single resync will take the connection out for perhaps 30 seconds.
- While disconnected & resyncing, and ping packets will be lost - and will be seen as a red spike on the TBB graphs.
- If resyncs happen *very* regularly, the user will see protracted "slow browsing" problems
- Resyncs occurring too often is another trigger for DLM to intervene, with the same symptoms as above.
In the first case, the "slow browsing" goes hand-in-hand with noticeable packet loss - which would be visible on the TBB ping graph. We don't see this.
The problem would also show as an increased error rate when the "slow browsing" event occurs. We've seen individual error count values (both high and low), but alone they are meaningless. Single values do not show us whether the error rate has increased at any particular time. So, evidence might be there, but it hasn't been shown yet - we need to see the counter values over a period of time, to see how they change over normal periods & bad periods.
In the second case, the "slow browsing" goes hand-in-hand with many disconnections. These would be visible on the TBB ping graph too, and would show low "uptime" figures in the router. Again, we've not seen this.
Both cases would trigger DLM to intervene - causing slowdowns, interleaving, higher SNR margins, and further resyncs - and we've not seen these either.
The conclusion has to be that, although you are seeing your connection run at under 3dB, it seems to be working - packets are getting through from outside, and being responded to (certainly within 5 seconds, and likely to be a lot less). RouterStats graphs look good for a 3dB margin - there is some float, but not excessive.
And yet the slowdowns still occur, so an apparent coincidence - and yet, on multiple machines at the same time. That implies the problem is somewhere common - ISP, exchange, router or LAN. Empty TBB graphs would tend to discount the ISP and exchange. And, to some extent, the router.
My ongoing investigations would include router and LAN. I'd try to check the interaction between the two PC's when a period of slowdown was experienced externally - to see how fast files could be transferred internally. I'd try a new router; borrowed if possible, even if I had to do without VoIP for a while.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for that excellent post WWW, I knew you'd come up with something, I couldn't have put it better myself - in fact I have bookmarked it. It's that good, so if it's needed again anywhere I can plagiarise it to save me doing a lot of typing  Wink
As you noted, things have moved on since this evening, so we'll know a bit more in due course.
grahamn
Rising Star

Stats and pics you asked for...yet to read WWW's post, but I will in a mo.
grahamn
Rising Star

WOW! Thanks WWW too for that comprehensive explanation. Not seen any slow down yet on new router, just the upload speed reduced from about .81 to.39/.44 ish.
Will keep the new router on and checking on it,
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

& here's a graphical view of what WWWombat describes.
i.e. 2 days of a connection's stats, the first day with interleaving OFF & the 2nd day with it automatically switched ON via DLM.
The increases/decreases in various error types can be clearly seen immediately Interleaving was switched on & the connection resynced.
These graphs are from a VDSL2 connection, but the principles are exactly the same for ADSL.
Similar graphs can be generated using various Broadcom based ADSL modem/routers such as Netgear DG834GT, Zoom X7n, Huawei HG612.
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for that Bald_Eagle1, it's a really good analysis.
@graham
Not sure why your upload speed is down, the sync is showing as 888. Run the BT "Diagnostic" speedtest periodically http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and/or http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ . This latter one requires JRE installed. Which ever Diagnostic Test you use, you have to wait 10 minutes between tests and maximum 3 per hour.
Post up the results from the first test.
As far as the pictures go, the socket should be OK as long as it isn't a master type (has it got the yellow capacitor inside?). Picture 071.jpg I assume is the flying socket on the end of the extension lead. But, how far is the physical distance of the modem/router from the socket on the wall? (not the total lead+extension length).