Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there problems this evening?

hulls
Grafter

Are there problems this evening?

Hi
Am I the only one experiencing problems this evening?
I lost my connection entirely for a couple of hours (It came back just as I got through to Customer Support), but it's still jerky.  I'm getting time-outs and just generally poor performance.
I'm on the Chelmsford exchange if that helps.
Just dropped the connection again, so I'll have to wait to post this, until it comes back.
John
Back on, but still very jerky - it's the only word i can think of to describe it.
4 REPLIES 4
Mand
Grafter

Re: Are there problems this evening?

Hi there,
I've looked at our RADIUS logs and can see a couple of dropped connections last night.
A few things for you to try:
* Unplug all devices except the modem/router from the telephone line and connect the modem/router to the master BT socket.
* Try a different filter
* Try a different modem/router if possible
If none of these help then I'd suggest raising a fault via the Member Centre so that we can get this looked into for you.
hulls
Grafter

Thanks Mand
I've been at work all day, but my wife has said that the connection has been picking up and dropping, off and on all day. (It's going to make a mess of my line speed, I know that!)
Customer Service last night suggested leaving the router unplugged for the night, and if it's still dropping the connection, try it in the test socket this evening.  The problem is of course that, because the problem is intermittent, anything I try may or may not work.  If I still have the problem, then I've proved something, but if it seems ok, it may just be a fluke.  It's very frustrating.
I haven'y made any changes recently, so it shouldn't be the wiring.  I don't have another router to try, but I could dig out my old modem, to see if that makes a difference.
I'll let you know.
John
hulls
Grafter

Hi
I got home this evening, and thought I'd try a long shot before messing about with sockets and wiring.  I connected my son's laptop via a cable, and changed the channel on the router (from 6 to 1), and everything seems to be working now.
Of course it won't let me into the router set up from my computer, at the moment, because it sees it as a duplicate connection, but I expect that to be fixed, when I restart the router.
Is it possible that a couple of extra wifi networks have appeared in the area and were conflicting with mine?
John
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: hulls
Is it possible that a couple of extra wifi networks have appeared in the area and were conflicting with mine?

That can be a problem. NetStumbler (link) can help identify conflicts. Using this tool I identified a neighbour's router giving a weak signal on the same channel as my router. When I changed channels the download speed over wi-fi increased to the same as for a wired connection (albeit only 300kbps improvement).
Of course NetStumbler must be run on a wireless equipped computer.
David