cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any service issues?

wyattnorm
Dabbler

Are there any service issues?

I have just lost the service on my laptop.  Trying to connect I am told that it is not possible to connect to Plusnet, via my wifi connection.
I then go to my desktop PC, using the same wifi signal and it connects, as proved with this email.  Earlier this pm, I connected to the BBC news site, via the desktop and most of the pages opened, but not all.  Again saying connection was not possible, check the web address?
I know the obvious thing for someone to say is the laptop is u-s.....but the service via desktop pc is not as it usually is.
I have always been a very satisfied Plusnet customer....just a bit puzzled at the moment.
Kind regards
norman
9 REPLIES 9
Stumpy21
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Are there any service issues?

Hi
Fairly obvious reply/question I suppose but have you tried rebooting your router?
Derek
wyattnorm
Dabbler

Derek
It might well be obvious, but no.  I didn't even know that you could reboot the router.
Could I ask how this is done?
As much as I use the Internet, I still know precious little of the workings.
I rely on people like your good self to enlighten me.
Kind regards
Norman
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The easy way is to unplug it from the mains and plug back in again but there is probably a better method if you wait for someone who knows his way round your router which I assume is a Plusnet supplied one
bewick
Grafter

Not familiar with the plusnet supplied router  but on my 3Com  there is a menu obtained by www.192.168.1.1. (some routers may have slightly different address.
After that "system tools" gives access to "router restart" (NOT reset which is rather different and to be avoided) which reboots the router.
. Different routers have different menus and different terms. An alternative is to close down the computer or "disconnect" from the internet before down- powering the router. To do anything else will be interpreted as a dropped connection which will then, for a while, reduce speed.
With certain computer problems such as incorrectly displayed pages I think choosing to clear the browser cache may help. Can't tell you how (always have to look it up) but google something about bad pages and the answer will be there,
You also may find that the FREE Advanced System Care (google that and download from the CNET site) will help keep your registry clean. There is always the chance that something odd in your registry can be the root of your problem. Worth a try and ASC is a smooth well behaved and quick  program
jim:quote
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

To restart the Thomson TG585v8, login to the router (http://192.168.1.254) and click Thomson Gateway in the left hand navigation menu.
In the centre of the page under Pick a task… click Restart my Thomson Gateway, then confirm you really do want to do that.
A strip will display to show progress - it takes a couple of minutes. Along the way you will probably lose your connection to the router.
After restart it should automatically reconnect to Plusnet.
David
wyattnorm
Dabbler

Many thanks for the replies, but so far no solution.
My brother did suggest looking into the 'Control Panel' on the laptop.
The icon entitled 'Dell Wireless WLAN Card utility'.......when opened just say's  'Radio disabled'!    Nowhere is it obvious how it is enabled, if it indeed needs to be. 
Could this be my problem or a red herring and nothing at all to do with the lack of connection.
Tried to restart the Thompson router, but was asked for my password? 
Kind regards
Norman
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Does your laptop have a switch (or a key combination to press) to turn on wireless?
The username to login to the router is admin, and the password should be the serial number CP... which is on the product label on the underside of the router. All letters in the password should be uppercase (capitals).
David
wyattnorm
Dabbler

The laptop does not have a switch...just turn it on and away it goes.
I will try the password and username.
Many thanks.
Norman
wyattnorm
Dabbler

Problem solved, many thanks for your help.
Norman