cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are my ADSL stats ok?

CWatters
Grafter

Are my ADSL stats ok?

I've been having some connection issues recently. Can someone comment on my line stats below. Thanks.
Status Up
Link Power State L0
Downstream Upstream
Line Coding (Trellis) Off Off
SNR Margin (dB) 2.8 13.0     (Downstream SNR Varies from 2.8 to about 9, typically 7 or 8 perhaps . Have seen negative numbers like -2.3 !)
Attenuation (dB) 24.5 15.0
Output Power (dBm) 20.0 11.9
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 8004 756
Rate (Kbps) 7616 448
Is "Link Power State LO" relevant?
It's a BiPAC 8800NL if that matters. I've also tried a Draytec Vigor 2500V but that gets lower line rates.
I can hear some noise on a BT quiet line test but it's not very loud.
Modem is plugged directly into a filter in the master socket.
If I need collect evidence of a line problem. Is the above all I need to log? or is there a program PlusNet recommend I run? Something like JD Auto Speed tester ?
Occasionally when I run JD Auto test I get high packet loss - 18-40%.
4 REPLIES 4
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Are my ADSL stats ok?

Negative Noise Margin figures indicates problems.  If the line is noisy when you make phone calls, it might be best to get that checked and fixed first.  Have you tested from the BT test socket, with only the phone plugged in?  And preferably with a different phone as well to completely rule out your equipment.
CWatters
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.
Modem is plugged directly into a filter in the master socket. Ditto a DECT base station so no long extension leads or anything like that. The problem and SNR doesn't seem to change if I unplug the phone totally. I tried increasing the target SNR in my modem to >6 (eg 8 and 10) which dropped the line speed a bit but didn't stop the disconnections.
It seems to have started after Openreach did work in the area (new cabinet added on the main run between our village and the exchange in next village). Looks like I'll have to get BT involved.

cedlor
Grafter

Test socket is  (if you have one) inside the master socket  ,using that eliminates any extension wiring you have  ( may cause a problem even if not in use.
Quiet  line test should be carried out with a corded phone.  Is computer to router connection via ethernet or wifi.
Are there any more stats for errors or time on/up
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'd be inclined to address this from the point of view of the noisy phone line.  So to keep it simple, check that the line is still noisy with nothing but a phone connected, no microfilter and no router.