cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are VPs causing my 300kbit download speed?

CapnAngry

Are VPs causing my 300kbit download speed?

I've run the BT Speedtester and gone through the PLusnet usertools, this suggests that my local phone exchange has a Virtual Path status of RED.
I'm only getting 300kbps download despite the IP profile suggesting ~6.5Mbps which is what I used to get, the BT exchange info gives an ETA of 31st Jan for the VP fix but that's a week ago.
Is it likely that the VP status is causing my extremely slow internet connection, and who can I speak to regarding fixing this, I've had a bunch of problems with my telephone line that BT fixed recently but the internet connection hasn't been working properly since late december, with this and a bunch of recent hassle I've had lately I'm on the verge of going postal.
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Are VPs causing my 300kbit download speed?

I assume the IP Profile you mentioned came from the BT speedtester. Is the same value shown as Current line speed in the Member Centre here?
Having VP status on Red at your exchange could cause slow speeds at busy times. Assuming Current line speed matches the IP Profile do the speeds increase at less busy time? Have you raised a low speed fault at http://faults.plus.net (I think the troubleshooter checks VP Status and will terminate the checks if that is Red).
You could raise the VP problem with the CSC on 0800 432 0200. Or the Digital Care Team will be here again in the morning.
David
CapnAngry

Yes the IP Profile came from BT Speedtester, the current line speed on member centre shows as 0.35Mb
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

In that case your low download speeds will be caused by the Current line speed setting which is 350kbps in smaller units.
That figure should automatically increase to match the IP Profile within 12 hours of the latter being set - which will give you your speed back. If it doesn't increase you might need to raise a fault or a staff member might manually fix it for you depending on what line diagnostic results show.
David
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi CapnAngry,
I've raised your profile to 6500 as your BT IP profile has now lifted. When there is a low sync event this will cause your BT IP profile to drop, which changes the one on our system. I think this is what happened in your case. The VP being red is more likely to cause slower speeds in peak times but that would affect your speed rather than your IP profile or sync rate. I hope that explains it a bit for you.
Jojo Smiley
CapnAngry

Thanks it's faster now.