Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Plusnet supplying me with an acceptable 'service'

James
Grafter

Re: Are Plusnet supplying me with an acceptable 'service'

Hi there,
We haven't broken your contract.  We have continued to supply you with an upto 8Mbps service.
You are paying for a resold BT Wholesale product.  As such you are bound to the terms of which we are bound to with them (no SLA, service deemed acceptable when above 400Kbps, etc).
The fact of the matter is that you are paying for a service delivered over a copper telephone line.  Copper telephone lines are subject to interference and noise on the telephone line.  It is not uncommon for lines to experience additional noise when new developments are built and so.
Listen, I do fully appreciate the issues that you are experiencing, but unless we book an engineer visit, then we cannot resolve your fault.  You have to be aware that there would be a potential charge of £144+VAT should the problem be as a result of your own equipment or if there were no fault present.
s29feb
Dabbler

I'm pretty sure Plusnet are informing me that the fault lies with BT?
"Due to either the length or quality of your telephone line it isn't possible to provide you with an Up To 8mb connection using the IP Stream Max technology that BT have been using for some time now. However, it is possible for us to provide you with a fixed 512k or 1Mb service in order to resolve the connection problems that you have previously been experiencing. As previously stated this is down to a physical issue with your telephone line and there is very little that can be done to change this."
Why was it fine until July?

I'm sorry but that is not my problem, it is Plusnet's as I directly get my service from BT or how do I call the "no such department to call" to complain about my line?
The problem is not even with speed it is with a usable internet connection, which I do not have.
The connection drops more than a one legged drunk at a free bar! I therefore do not have  a usable internet connection.
BT have visited three times. Everything internal has been tested and checked okay.
Plusnet now want to move me to a fixed 512k service - that is different to what I signed up for?. I did not and do not want that. I want a usable/stable up to 8meg service that I had pre-July.
Can Plusnet, irrespective of the speed, supply me with this? If they are telling me my line won't allow this then what am I supposed to do, who is at fault, and why should I pay for something outwith my control?
I'm extremely frustrated  Angry
James
Grafter

Can I ask if you have tried rebooting your router since roughly 9am this morning?
Your speed profile went up by about 1Mbps at that point.  It's the highest your profiled speed has been since September.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: s29feb
I'm extremely frustrated  Angry

s**t happens.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

s29feb
Dabbler

Quote from: Jameseh
Can I ask if you have tried rebooting your router since roughly 9am this morning?
Your speed profile went up by about 1Mbps at that point.  It's the highest your profiled speed has been since September.

I was up really early and from about 3:30am the connection dropped consistently and was allover the place.
I will reboot it when I get home to see what it is like  Huh
rascom
Grafter

Spent a while reading through this.
S29feb, Like any ISP, PlusNet are not responsible for the actual phonelines.  If there is a problem with them then they can only go back to BT and do their best.
I've been with PN for almost 4 years now, have referred loads of customers to them and also have friends and family using them.
One family member had a similar problem develop for no apparent reason and in the end BT sent an engineer out and they found something wrong with the external phonelines/junction box.
I'm not saying this is the problem in your case but everything I have read sounds like some sort of BT equipment fault. You cannot rule out that they have some technical issue on your connection.  I've not spotted anything in the thread about if you've had a look to see what sort of connection any of your neighbours have - always worth asking but for what its worth, PN technical support do a sterling job and on the very few occasions I've ever had to speak to them they have always been v helpful - whether its a problem at their end or BT's.
s29feb
Dabbler

Welcome to my world  Huh

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

bloody hell !!!!!
s29feb
Dabbler

You should see it now  Shocked
Told you it drops more than a one legged drunk at a free bar!
Try playing online games with that  Cry
I'll post what I get overnight tomorrow.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Could you post a graph from something like routerstats instead of a recording of white noise from an oscilloscope. Roll_eyes
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
VileReynard
Hero

Those "noise margin" values can't be trusted when you've got so little signal Smiley

s29feb
Dabbler

Overnight:

James
Grafter

Are you certain that you're not a Seizmologist?
Listen, would you like us to try moving you on to a fixed rate service to see if you notice an improvement in line quality?  If it doesn't work out then we can have you changed back pretty quickly.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Did you realise that when making a post, under Additional Options you can directly attach a jpg without having to upload it to somewhere like imageshack first?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
VileReynard
Hero

Did you realize that sending a big jpeg at a slow line speed constitutes a linespeed test?