cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are PN throttling Streaming software?

tywyn
Grafter

Are PN throttling Streaming software?

Tonight I have  tried to connect to various streaming software and other sites only to find that I cannot connect to any of them
I haven't been able to use http://pages.tvunetworks.com/downloads/player.html# for well over a year despite the channels on there being perfectly legal.
http://tvants.en.softonic.com/ is another piece of software that is unusable, none of the channels connect
Tonight I can't even access Sopcast as on every channel im getting 'cannot retrieve data' or 'connecting'. It uses P2P yet is streaming.
Yet other people are having no such problems accessing these services, are you throtting or blacklisting these services?
It's not a problem with my router as I have rebooted several times, have also tried on a modem and even dropped the firewall. Sopcast is occasionally usuable but often unaccessible, although it was fine at the weekend, but TVAnts and TVU are never ever accessible, and tonight also I have been unable to use Veetle. Tvcatchup is fine though.
I would rather know if you throttling or blacklisting software so that I can choose another ISP which best suits my requirements.
6 REPLIES 6
James
Grafter

Re: Are PN throttling Streaming software?

Hiya,
We actually prioritise streaming traffic to make sure that things like P2P and Usenet don't drag it down.
If you use Wireshark you can see exactly how we're prioritising your streaming sites.
There's a link showing to how to check here:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark_video.shtml
tywyn
Grafter

Hi James
I've just run that packet capture program on TVU and is seems that it isn't being classed at all due to the 0x00 value
Differentiated Services Field: 0x00 (DSCP 0x00: Default; ECN: 0x00)
I'll run the software on other software I can't use. Should I then post the results in a ticket?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Are you sure you're checking the *inbound* packets and not the outbound ones?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

tywyn
Grafter

I just checked that it was my IP again and I can now see Differentiated Services Field: 0xa0 (DSCP 0x28: Class Selector 5; ECN: 0x00) that's for TVU
As soon as it hit 10pm Sopcast started working again and the stream is fine, shame that the game is over now though Sad
I'll run a test on TVAnts but it never works so I suspect it's unclassified.
[Moderator's note by Adie (Adiewoo):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]
Be3G
Grafter

I'll throw this in just in case there's a connection: I recently had problems with poor performance on iTunes, which were eventually found to be caused by a problem in the traffic management profile PN had set for between 9-10pm. The fact you say Sopcast starts working again at 10pm makes me wonder if perhaps the error affecting iTunes wasn't the only one...
tywyn
Grafter

You could well be right, the problems I was having with Sopcast were from when I tried from 8-10 pm

I ran some more tests with Wireshark

Sopcast
Differentiated Services Field: 0x40 (DSCP 0x10: Class Selector 2; ECN: 0x00)
It will connect but it looks like the priority is Silver even at off-peak

TVU
Getting a mixture of
Differentiated Services Field: 0x80 (DSCP 0x20: Class Selector 4; ECN: 0x00)
Differentiated Services Field: 0x40 (DSCP 0x10: Class Selector 2; ECN: 0x00)
It never connects to any channels on TVU, it used to a while back, and the one I tried with the above data is running a stream of 389 kb/s