cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are IKEv2 VPN connections blocked?

psheld

Are IKEv2 VPN connections blocked?

I've recently switched from an OpenVPN to an IKEv2 VPN service. iPhones only really play nice with the latter.

The Plusnet router is playing nice for the Macbook VPN but not the iPhone VPN.

Any ideas?

The VPN provider has told me to look for "IPSec/IKEv2/VPN pass-through" option, and enable it. I can't see anything like this in the router configuration.

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Re: Are IKEv2 VPN connections blocked?

Hello @psheld

In this circumstance we would get you to log in to your router and go to advance settings.  Go into VPN under the broadband tab at the top, and set port clamping to enabled. By doing this you are forcing all VPN traffic through a specific open port.

Please let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
psheld

Thanks, I've done that. No change.

One thing has occurred to me though. I use my VPN service on both my Macbook and iPhone. The Macbook has no problem connecting over wi-fi, but the iPhone refuses. Does that help narrow down the source of the problem here?

Thanks again.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @psheld

Sorry to hear this hasn't worked. We would recommend de-syncing your 2.4 and 5Ghz wireless bands. You find find assistance in the thread below.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
psheld

Thanks. Which one am I renaming, 2.4 or 5?

I guess that's the same as asking which one should remain on the current SSID and therefore be the only band through which devices should connect?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

You can re-name whichever one you want although personally I added 5ghz at the end of the 5ghz band so I could tell which one was which easier.

With regards to which band to connect to I'd try it on the 5ghz band first and if it's still not working then the 2.4ghz one.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team