cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are BT Wholesale stalling on exchange capacity upgrades?

mgillespie
Grafter

Are BT Wholesale stalling on exchange capacity upgrades?

My exchanges virtual path status has been red for many many months now, and the fix date is constantly being put back.
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Preston%20(dorset)&exact=2002&plugin=vp
I notice the go live date for WBC is October 2009 to March 2010.  I am wondering if BT Wholesale are intentionally stalling the VP upgrades, so rather than putting upgrades in now and then having that kit obsolete in a year, they are just hoping they can get away with it for a while.
All the time our exchange is congested, and data transfer speeds are at busy times abysmal...  At work, I hear people moaning all the time about how broadband in our area is really slow, and they talk about changing ISP's  I remind that there are no options and BT wholesale still have a monopoly here for broadband connections.
10 REPLIES 10
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Are BT Wholesale stalling on exchange capacity upgrades?

That would come as no surprise to me! I'd suggest you speak to PN with a view to them complaining to BTw about the lack of progress.
Speak to as many others on the same exchange that are affected, obviously if any of them are with BT Retail get them to have a jolly good moan and also perhaps compile a list of people and which ISP's they are with. It might be an idea for each customer to mention to their own ISP that friends/neighbours with "named" ISP's are also complaining, so maybe they can all speak to each other and have a concerted moan at BT.
Failing any of that, multiple complaints to the BT Chairman and OFCOM!
You might wish to note that unfortunately the PN exchange checker is a month out of date!! , but even so Nildram's exchange checker shows " provisional date of Nov 28, 2008" for upgrade, so obviously they not exactyly been making an effort to fix this.
itsme
Grafter

Is it down to equipment or a lack of cabling from this exchange to the next. If it is the latter then it will be time consuming and expensive to fix.
Anotherone
Champion

Cabling, Fibre or Microwave Link? Still going to be needed for 21CN? But is that any justification for providing upto ~3600 customers with a rubbish service for more than 15 months?
itsme
Grafter

That's why the VP may stay red until the exchange is upgraded as cabling could be part of the upgrade.
We do not know whether the service from this exchange is rubbish. If P2P speeds are being affected then it's not a problem in may opinion. But if BT vision and other streaming services are affected then I agree that the service is rubbish.
mgillespie
Grafter

Raised a ticket with Plusnet in the past, as the result was, it's it BT's hands, and they arn't telling when/how they are going to resolve it.
All the time, consumers are paying full rates for a sub-par service.  (not Plusnets fault, but not everyone will realise this).
Ultimately, the bottom line, because there is no LLU, or any cable in our area, BT have a monopoly, they know it, and that surely is a deciding factor when spending money on capacity upgrades.  You can bet money Virgin had cable down here, then the ADSL services would be top notch.
itsme
Grafter

BT have not got a monopoly. They may be the only supplier in your area but BT can't stop any other operator supplying telecom's. The reason that your area have no alternatives is that the other operators don't believe it will be cost effective.
mgillespie
Grafter

The frustrating thing, is BT are keeping quiet, it seems even Plusnet (part of BT) can't even get me an answer as to when it's likely to be fixed, or what the problem is.  All I have is a ETA fix date that is now 3 weeks overdue, and I would bet money when the VP status is updated, it just moves the ETA fix date further out, rather than going green again...
Consumers are mushrooms in BT Wholesales eyes...
Anotherone
Champion

Raise another ticket and request that BT are pressed for an update.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Try this link for a full picture of what's been happening at your exchange - not a pretty picture.
Have you had any news?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

I see the exchange checker is upto date not  Roll_eyes