cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are 80MB FTTC connections speed capped depending on time/day at all?

phil7w

Are 80MB FTTC connections speed capped depending on time/day at all?

Hi,
Switched to FTTC a couple of weeks ago, a couple of days before going on holiday. Initial speed was great, seeing 70MB+ on speedtest.net ;D. On returning home and performing another test this afternoon, my speed is now down to around 13Mb  Sad (the speed swings around to this almost instantly and then just sits there for tthe remainder of the test) Broadband has been in use while we were away by daughter. I've also reset the router and the BT modem, no difference and the  PC is plugged directly into the router.
I've checked my details on the plusnet site:

Telephone number:
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone exchange:
    SPENCERS WOOD
Estimated line speed:
    80Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2012-08-29 19:36:58
Current line speed:
    14.6 Mb

and I can't see why my Current line Speed would be set so low? Unfortunately I didn't check this before I went away.
A BT speedtest gave the following results:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 13.34 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 12 Mbps-77.43 Mbps . (a bit of a large range???)
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbps

Anyway, it is Saturday afternoon... just wondering if the speed is limited or should I be raising a fault for this to get my IP checked?
Cheers,
Phil
3 REPLIES 3
houlton23
Grafter

Re: Are 80MB FTTC connections speed capped depending on time/day at all?

Quote from: phil7w
   14.6 Mb

Does this happen to be close to what you used to get on ADSL? It can happen that a delta report from your old ADSL connection can arrive after you have switched to FTTC, causing what you are seeing here. Not 100% this is what has happened, but it is certainly a possibility.
Anyway it should just be a quick phone call to CSC and mention your BT and PN profiles don't match and they should be able to get you back up to speed.
Alex Smiley
phil7w

Hi Alex, thanks for the fast reply.
Yes, it is pretty much spot on what I was seeing before I switched. The switch was done on a Friday, and we flew on the Sunday, so for all I know the speed might have dropped on the Monday after the install!.
Thanks - I'll log a call.
Phil
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Phil,
I can see that you spoke with a colleague and they have adjusted your profile, so you should now be seeing increased speeds.
Please let me know if this is not the case.