cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are 1-2 dropouts everyday Normal?

Woomarch

Are 1-2 dropouts everyday Normal?

I have over the years had pretty reliable broadband from Plusnet. There is undoubtedly some throttling at busy times but generally its been OK with very few dropouts. In the last couple of months this has changed and we get 1-2 dropouts most days. I have called them this morning and been told that that is perfectly normal and this constitutes a solid connection. This seems a change of policy to me, I am right?

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Are 1-2 dropouts everyday Normal?

@Woomarch Welcome to the forums.

I would say daily dropouts are not normal. Are these Wi-Fi drops or actual DSL/connection failures? What router are you using?

John
Woomarch

I am using the standard Plusnet router, but with wifi off and then through three google wifi pucks. I am looking at the data from the Plusnet router though and that shows the drops. Drops aside, I am wondering if the Plusnet Hub is worth keeping and whether its worth shelling out for a dedicated wifi router from someone like D-link or Netgear.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

A member of staff may be able to look at your logs.
I wouldn't say they are normal either.

Check for noise on your landline and disconnect as much equipment as you can.

I would do that first, rather than the worst case scenario where you spend some money on different equipment to find it doesn't fix your problem.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Which version of the PN router - TG582N, 2704N or Hub 1?

If you could post a recent router log and/or connection stats, that could be helpful.

Depends on the router as to whether a different one would be better. The 2704n/Hub1's are not the best, and many users have switched to the BT HH6.

EDIT I agree with @Alex  - a basic phone check would be a good idea, too.

John
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Good point @jab1 

I forgot to mention going through the logs, post what you can just remove anything personal first such as external IP's. I am not sure if the Hub One gives that away. I am not around my sisters right now (reminds me I need to set up remote access to there just in case). If there is anything personal then either remove it or keep it to PM's. That's what I do.

My sister uses a Hub One (not sure what model as I am not there) and if her line dropped like yours did, I would soon (read that as very soon!) know about it. Her not complaing to me about anything is unprecedented, put it that way. 🙄

PlusNet might be able to see if the dropouts are at approximately the same time, or just at random. I would note them down yourself, maybe on a quick Excel sheet as there could be something within your property interferring with it.

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hello @Woomarch If you haven't already done so, I would first advise having a run through our troubleshooting steps here:  https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ and getting your router connected into the test socket for the time being as shown here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If the issues then persist, please log a fault here with us: https://faults.plus.net and someone from our Faults Team will run further testing whilst in the test socket and provide you on an outcome about the drops. Smiley

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team