Did you mean: 

Apple TV and PlusNet

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Apple TV and PlusNet

Quote from: gilesc
Could it be I picked the only movie coming from a ip not marked as gold?

I doubt it works that way to be honest. It's highly unlikely that specific movies map to specific IP's. I tried the RED trailer for what it's worth but not the full movie.
Quote from: gilesc
I could borrow my friends and give it another go. If so what should i look for. My router is a vigor 2700

Just to see if it works I guess, unless you consider yourself technically able enough to packet capture the traffic? There's no possibility that there was any other Internet activity on your network when you were trying to stream the movie was there? That could certainly have impacted your ability to watch content on the ATV.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

godsell4
Rising Star

Bob,
To help GilesC rule out the Ellanoya traffic management completely, PN could do one fo two things.
[1] arrange a time with them to monitor their connection while they are streaming
[2] put them on the PRO profile for a couple of days until they can do their own testing. And GilesC lets you know if doing this resolves the problems or not.
I know 1 seems to have t obe during office hours, which is not practical for most people. So suggest 2 is the simplest for both parties.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
gilesc

Hi Guys
Last night Sunday 9pm I did exactly what I did the previous Sunday and it worked without a problem. My router showed the traffic was being streamed at about 1.2MBs, so I am at a complete loss to explain the previous failure. There was no other traffic on my network that evening, all the cables and connections are the same so nothing other than the Apple TV unit itself has changed.
It would appear that I may have wasted peoples time, which I apologies for. On the positive side, it shows that the support that I recieve from Plusnet and its community justifies my loyality to PlusNet, I cannot imagine other ISP's going to the lengths that PlusNet have.
Many thanks for your help and assistance.
Giles
gilesc

One interesting point that might explain something is I have just looked at my usage page, and yesterday streaming the HD movie was obvously quiet heavy, but when I ask for the breakdown by usage it has be catagories as Web not streaming? I am not sure if this graph is linked into the traffic profiling, but thought I would mention it.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

It's not unusual for streaming to be classed as 'Web', the priority of the traffic is the same after all. As an example YouTube traffic is currently classed as 'Web' as opposed to 'Streaming' (although we're looking to change this during the next batch of Ellacoya changes).
Anyway gilesc, glad to hear all is well, shout up if you come across any further problems.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

neilpickthall

Hi Gilesc
You are not alone with this problem as I've been experiencing the same problem since I bought my new ATV2 (black) in January. If I try and stream a purchased movie from iTunes between the hours of 6pm & midnight it shows anything between 3 and 20 hours to play. If I try the movie between midnight and 6pm it plays within seconds. I've tried my own diagnosis by using different routers, wired / wireless but no joy.
In fairness PN are doing their best to resolve the problem but no joy yet - I've run numerous wireshark captures at different times and they always show gold prioritisation. They've made another change to my profile settings so I've got to try again and see if it has solved the problem - only problem is that it's costing me a fortune to buy movies every time to test the system - pretty much all of which I haven't been able to watch!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will work this time.....
Neil
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Bob
I tried the RED trailer for what it's worth but not the full movie.

Bob,
The trailer for RED as I could find was only available in SD. Which is a 1Mb stream I think, so not really taxing anything.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed