Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appalling speed and customer service

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Appalling speed and customer service

Well that's good news.
There is still a lot of Mk2 plates around, so it's good that you have the latest.
Let's hope you get a decent engineer that uses his test equipment properly and actually goes and checks/remakes a few joints at the DP, Cab and wherever else.
Granite66
Grafter

Well certainly got a decent engineer imo. Arrived just after 8am, left around 4pm having spent most of the day back and forth to a junction box about 3 miles away.
Now have no internet at all, a phone line that buzzes like a swarm of bees are trying to get in, and just utter frustration.
Seems there is just no line speed - "long line" issue, and apparently some of the cabling is aluminium, not even copper.
OpenReach/BT need to upgrade the line, but with no way to contact OR directly, and Plusnet saying there is n o way they can push this and are offering a refund of all costs to date and removal of service.
While I appreciate the offer, I'd rather a definitive solution was found. Is there a way to contact OR and find out when or even if, line upgrade is being scheduled?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,
PlusNet have to run with this one, though it does sound like they might be giving up due to BTOR refusal to provide service.
This one might have to go to Ofcom - others may be able to advise if there are any obligations on BTOR to provision a working phone service.  Note broadband is a different matter, as it is an asset on the phone line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: Granite66
Well certainly got a decent engineer imo.

I assume that was all sarcasm  Roll_eyes
There is no way of dealing with OR directly. However Plusnet should be able to get some information.
Now, if I've understood all this correctly, you started with a working service and then a fault developed?
Unfortunately you didn't post any stats or test results as mentioned in my first 2 posts in this thread whilst you still had a connection, so I can't comment on what might be achieved.
However, from what you have just posted, the engineer that attended has left you in a worse situation than before he arrived - that is totally unacceptable, so Plusnet are just going to have to get another engineer out to get this solved. It also sounds like no attempt whatsoever has been made to escalate this.
I don't know who it is that's offering a full refund and going to leave you high and dry, but I'm sure one of the Customer Relations Team (CRT) will pick this up tomorrow (Tony or one of the others with the faults knowledge) and try and get to the bottom of what's going on.
Edit:: meant to add that a phone line that's making noises like that is obviously faulty,  badly balanced, has bad joints etc and no wonder you don't have any broadband at present.  Also add comment re escalation.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Update:  After looking for service provision obligations...
Quote from: http
Provision of a connection capable of functional internet access
1.10 BT and Kingston are required to provide a connection upon reasonable request and at uniform prices, irrespective of geographical location. This requirement is particularly valuable to customers in remote rural areas whom the market might otherwise not serve. Where installation of a new line costs £3400 or less, BT sets a standard charge. Where installation will cost over £3400, BT requires the customer to pay the excess costs (plus its standard connection charge). Ofcom consider the use of a ‘threshold’ to be a sensible approach; Ofcom is seeking further data to help it decide the level of that threshold. In addition, Ofcom intends to publish guidance on the issues to be taken into account in considering whether a request is reasonable.
1.11 The obligation on BT and Kingston to provide a connection upon reasonable request encompasses the provision of a narrowband connection capable of ‘functional internet access’ (FIA). Guidelines on FIA were issued in 2003 which said that users should be able to expect connection speeds of at least 28.8 kbit/s. It also set out measures that universal service providers should take in response to complaints about data speeds. The Guidelines have been beneficial and no significant changes are proposed at this time. In particular, it is considered that the benchmark minimum speed should remain at 28.8 kbit/s for the time being.

So BTOR are obliged to provide a phone service having a narrowband capability of just 28.8kps - truly out of the ark level service which is no darned use given that ISPs such as PlusNet are withdrawing dial up services.  Again, this shows just how useless Ofcom is!
Crazy Sad Huh

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Granite66
Grafter

Hi anotherone, thanks for sticking with me here.
I was simply unable to post those stats, by the time I'd posted on here (from work / now from my folks house) my service had all but gone and I couldnt get the line speed thingmys to work.
My service before last weekend was 0.2Mb up and down speed.
I'll see what they have to say tomorrow then as they'll have had the engineers report back by then.
What I dont understand is this http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/
That shows my postcode is now "Accepting Orders"  for fibre optic, surely this is up to Plusnet to push for? Our row of cottages alone has 16 properties some going through the same pain, others long since given up, plus add in other properties in the area, there's new accounts up for grabs to the right company.
Anyway thats me till tomorrow, I'm off home to my internetless home.
Anotherone
Champion

Anyway thats me till tomorrow, I'm off home to my internetless home.

The one with the swarm of bees on the phone line  Shocked Crazy
What I dont understand is this http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/
That shows my postcode is now "Accepting Orders"  for fibre optic, surely this is up to Plusnet to push for? Our row of cottages alone has 16 properties some going through the same pain, others long since given up, plus add in other properties in the area, there's new accounts up for grabs to the right company.

This sounds like a case of each of you writing a letter and sending them all in one envelope recorded delivery to OFCOM.
Granite66
Grafter

That shows my postcode is now "Accepting Orders"  for fibre optic, surely this is up to Plusnet to push for? Our row of cottages alone has 16 properties some going through the same pain, others long since given up, plus add in other properties in the area, there's new accounts up for grabs to the right company.

So, on further investigation, this is even worse.
The firbre optics apparently go from the exchange right through my village to the next village 2 miles further west. Seems their "long line" issue is solved.
I'd appreciate a response on the AO status here from Plusnet, or if they could supply contact details for where at Openreach I can query this?
Anotherone
Champion

I hope you are pursuing the ticket regarding your fault with the objective of getting another engineer to sort your line out.
With regard to availability use https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html and enter your number.
I also note that this thread was NOT picked up yesterday by CRT Roll_eyes
Granite66
Grafter

Thanks anotherone, yeah up to 0.5Mb which I knew, but also on the Openreach site fibreoptic is available under "Accepting Orders", and indeed the fibreoptic line goes right through the village, but we are not on the network, properties further down in the next village are however  Crazy
Anotherone
Champion

If the ADSL checker doesn't list FTTC, then there isn't a Fibre one for you Sad
Granite66
Grafter

Says Fibre multicast is available.
Anotherone
Champion

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Hi there.
Fibre is available at your cabinet however it looks like you are too far away from it to receive it.  Our suppliers records are showing your line is over 8 kilometres long which won't be helping your current situation.
We need to look at getting another engineer out ideally to get the service working.
If you can let us know when your available we'll get that booked in for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Granite66
Grafter

Matthew, Sunday please which Openreach are working at present in my area. Can't do Saturday this week.