cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appalling download speeds of less than 200kbps/intermittent dropouts

Pillar_Rock

Appalling download speeds of less than 200kbps/intermittent dropouts

I've been a Plusnet customer for around 3 years, but the internet service provided has become so poor that I have to make this post to see if I can get some assistance/vent because I've had enough/let potential customers know before changing provider.

I've never been able to get download speeds over 2mbps since I took this standard broadband package, despite BT Speed Test stating I should have a minimum of 11mbps. I haven't been overly chuffed about that but it hasn't got in the way of gaming/streaming etc. However over the last 6 months I've regularly been getting download speeds of less than 1mbps, with wildly fluctuating speeds during extended downloads of game updates etc, tonight dropping down to a pathetic 156kbps while downloading a graphics driver - it never got over 200kbps. It took about 20 minutes to download a goddam graphics driver. This is simply unacceptable for a service I'm paying £35 a month for. Is anybody else getting such low speeds? I'm in the East Lancashire area. I'll ring support tomorrow.

Additionally, I regularly get intermittent random drop outs of service.  Presently I cannot recommend PlusNet to anybody.

3 REPLIES 3
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Appalling download speeds of less than 200kbps/intermittent dropouts

Welcome to the forum.

I trust one of the Plusnet Customer Support reps will pick this up shortly.

I assume you have no issues making calls using the landline, no crackling or noises?

You are connected to the master socket, with a micro filter installed wherever there is a landline phone handset connected?

Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Pillar_Rock

Do you by any chance have a Plusnet Hub Zero (2704n)? If so be aware that the wireless performance on these is poor. Can you can confirm that your speed tests are conducted via an Ethernet cable? 

Also be aware that you can only have your download bandwidth once. You can't expect a speed test to give sensible results if there is a large download in progress at the same time. Also with a Hub Zero upload speed is clobbered under these conditions. If you want sensible results then speed tests should only be undertaken when there is no other broadband activity.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Pillar_Rock

Thanks for getting in touch.

We're seeing sync speed of around 18mb/s from our side, so I would recommend a wired speed test as @Baldrick1 has suggested.

Feel free to post the results here.

Best wishes

Dave