cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using multiple public IPs here?

mrmann

Anyone using multiple public IPs here?

Hi,
I've been having a long discussion with support about my config as I'm trying to get the best speed out of my connection. I was really surprised to find out that using multiple public IPs is very rare for Plus customers so they can't support it. I had always assumed that plenty of people would be using them, so I'd be really interested to hear from anybody who has such a set up and what routers you are using.
I have posted a similar topic and apologise for partially repeating but I think I poluted the other post with too much info as I didn't get any responses. Or maybe I am the only Plus customer using multiple public IPs left! Nice to be so rare!
8 REPLIES 8
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Anyone using multiple public IPs here?

HI mrmann,
It's not rare for customers to have IP block. What is it you want to know? When you say get the best speed out of your connection, I'm not sure this has anything to do with the multiple IP's. I'll run some line checks and let you know what I think.
Jojo Smiley
avatastic
Grafter

I'm using an IP block currently and my set up is this:
NetGear DM111P Modem -> FreeBSD router
Router receives 84.92.17.xx3 as part of PPP negotiations, assigned to tun0
Statically and manually assigned as part of the system config I have 84.92.17.xx2 and .xx4 on fxp0
In the past I have had these external IPs assigned to different internal machines which meant adding a route for 84.92.17.xx3/30 on to fxp0
On a router only or windows based system, I've no idea on how you'd go about it.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
knowdice
Rising Star

On ADSL I used a Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v2 this was configured effectively as a "bridge" and then used a second router WRT54G (from memory) to do NAT and WiFi.
Being a long way away from the exchange my speed was pretty poor 60dB of attenuation and download speed of 1.5-2mbs.
I'm currently on FTTC with Plusnet using a Vigor2130n which does public IP bridging & NAT & WiFi all in one box  Cheesy
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI mrmann,
With such a long line I don't really see how we could improve the speeds you currently achieve.
Sorry.
Jojo Smiley
mrmann

Hi avatastic & knowdice, thanks for that info - interesting ideas there.
Joanne, interesting to hear that it isn't that rare. When I asked via a ticket for any recommendations for routers to use with multiple IPs I was told "Unfortunately this is not a very common setup, I don't know any people here who would be able to advise you on this setup, it is more likely that some of our other customers have gone through this previously and have posted on the forums or may reply to your post with some advice." Hence why I'm here! I did ask some other questions early on in the ticket so I think I confused them!
To explain my situation; I was getting about 1.3meg on the very poor line. So tried a Netgear using the DGTeam firmware, which allowed me to adjust the SNR getting me up to 2.3meg (woohoo!). The issue I had was that the firmware can only do DHCP on the connection (it does allow static IP to be set but not the subnet mask). When I use DHCP I get the first usable IP in my range - .185 but with a /31 mask. With my old router I was able to set the /29 mask and then use all the IPs in that range on various boxes. So I'm in a tricky position, a slow speed but with my routers / Linux boxes getting public IPs or faster speed and just one IP address! Ideally I'd love to use the IPs as one /29 range, any ideas on how that could be done would be appreciated!
(btw I'm resigned to the 2.3meg speed until FTTC finally appears in my area)
Thanks
itsme
Grafter

Do you need to use public static IP's to your devices? Can you revert using a single static IP then use port forwarding?
mrmann

I do, I run a few different boxes with similar services. If I could just make do with one IP for all services I'd have a whole world of ISPs open up to me and I could save some money. But that's far too easy and sensible  Smiley
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Most home routers don't support a block of public IPs unless you put it into bridge mode, which then means you lose the NAT and firewall capabilities. Other uses have their own set-ups as describe above.
If you are looking for a suitable router then I would go for a Draytek vigor 2820. This supports both NAT and multi-nat allowing you to configure routing of each public IP separately as well as still allowing a local network to use NAT to get on the internet. It's expensive but it does the job... 
I was using an old draytek 2600 for my block of IPs but since going to FTTC I have not got around to buying a suitable WAN router to use them properly (PN don't have a suitable one yet).