cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using a Zyxel p-660Hw t1 with ADSL2+

ramidoodle
Grafter

Re: Anyone using a Zyxel p-660Hw t1 with ADSL2+

Just logged the fault with BT wholesale for you, will keep you updated with what's happening
sinewave
Grafter

It is very good to know (and see) that something is being done.
Thank you Rami
sinewave
Grafter

It seems my line was put through some sort of test or re-training over night between the 9th and 10th of this weekend. I note my router suddenly re-connected to ADSL2+ as opposed to its more typical ADSL2 state, and synced to a more reasonable speed of something around 5Mb. Constant disconnects followed (perhaps one an hour or more) until Sunday daytime where the connection went back to ADSL2 and sync went back to 2489.
So it looks like I'm back to square one - where I've been since before Christmas. A super stable line syncing at 2489 on ADSL2, with a high Up/down SNR of 21 and 22dB (currently).
There's been no ticket update yet.
Perhaps I'm being impatient but it would be nice to know what the state of play is with my problem.
ticket ID: 31333197
djsi
Hooked

Quote from: grahamt
Not exactly the same model - mine's a P660HW-61, which is (I think) a bit older than yours but shouldn't be very different.

Sorry to diverge slightly from the original query...
I've had a 660HW-61 for 4 years, and it's worked pretty reliably. Since recently isolating the bell wire my typical downstream stats are:
sync speed: ~7500kbps (up from ~6500)
attenuation: 8dB
SNRM: 11dB
(I'm very close to the exchange.)
Since I've recently been considering switching to the PlusNet Premium package I e-mailed Zyxel support for confirmation of whether the 660HW-61 is ADSL2+ compatible. They replied today:
"Since the P660HW-61 model is now end of life we have no further firmware updates with a latest modem code so unfortunately it is not ADSL2+ compatible. The only model of our router which are ADSL2+ compatible are the P660/661/662H/HW-D1."
So according to Zyxel, the 660HW-61 shouldn't work with ADSL2+!  Shocked
grahamt, could you please confirm that you ARE successfully using a Zyxel Prestige 660HW-61 in ADSL2+ mode? And also, which version of the firmware is installed? (Mine is on the latest 3.40(PE.11)C0 dated 22-May-06.)
I know PlusNet offer the Thomson ST585 v7 for just the cost of P+P, but I've read mixed reviews about it. So if my trusty 660HW-61 really CAN support ADSL2+ then I'd rather stick with that.
TIA,
Si
sinewave
Grafter

I don't know about grahamt - or indeed your specific model of Zyxel router but I thought I'd add my findings to this thread. For some reason I was not notified that there had been further postings here until the thread got moved.
I have a Zyxel P660HW - T1 (version1) and it works with ADSL2+
There is an update to the firmware (dated Dec 2009 I think) but this is not necessary to use ADSL2+. Indeed there I am running an older, more obscure version sent to me by Zyxel support...
I emailed Zyxel when was having trouble with connecting to ADSL2+ following my switchover from ADSLMax. Zyxel told me that they had seen some issues with some equipment that BT was using in some exchanges. It was all rather vague. The firmware they sent for me to try V3.40(ACI.7)C0_20070801 (dated 08/01/2006, believe it or not!) did seem to make a difference in some way but my main problems had nothing to do with my router. (I so very nearly bought a new router during this and I'm glad I didn't!).
Since my connection has settled down bit now, I find I have a more reliable connection using this firmware Zyxel sent to me, rather than the one on Zyxel UK website.
If anyone has a Zyxel P660HW - T1 (version1) and have connection issues of some sort I think it would be worth while trying this version of firmware

As for the Thomson router that PN supply, I have tried one out and can confirm it works perfectly well. Indeed I would be comfortable using one as a general home router. If you are a bit of a "tweaker" though; you want control of a firewall or you want to read logs from time to time, or you want to do anything other than just switch the thing on and surf the web, I'd say keep away from it and buy something better. Its just very clunky to use. The UI is a bee-atch to navigate around. And quite frankly I just don't trust half the info it does provide you. It works though 😉
grahamt
Rising Star

djsi - many apologies for neglecting this thread. I've only just now seen your query.
Yes, I can absolutely confirm that I'm using a P660HW-61 and that it's running ADSL2+ with no problems. Here's an excerpt from the system status page:
System Name: P660HW
ZyNOS F/W Version: V3.40(PE.11) | 05/22/2006
DSL FW Version:TI AR7 05.01.03.00
Standard:ADSL2+
(OK - it doesn't say '61', but that's definitely what I've got.)
I'm guessing the ZyXEL people didn't want to bother checking and just referred you to what in-production models can do. I think you can still go to their download site and look at the specification sheet, though. This does say that ADSL2+ is supported.
As you can see I'm using the same firmware version as you - the last version to be issued for this model, I believe.
Unless something goes wrong with it, I'm planning on keeping my current router until I need a new one for VDSL2/FTTC. In the meantime, I envy you your low attenuation - you should be able to get a really good ADSL2+ speed with that.
Graham
djsi
Hooked

sinewave, Graham - thank you both for your replies. It certainly looks as though my P660HW-61 should work then.
Meanwhile, fyi, here's some info that Zyxel Tech Support sent me regarding my P660HW-61 and INP (Impulse Noise Protection) with ADSL2+:
--
"If you are looking to move to BE internet then this router will work on Be but if you find the speed is limited to 7.1Mbps then you should ask Be to reduce the INP to 1.
We feel that the -61 router may have the same problem of speed limiting to 7.1Mpbs on 21CN because BT do use INP on 21CN. So I guess it all depends on what ISp you will be moving with and what ADSl; service you will be using."
--
I subsequently found this DrayTek page which explains INP:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_inp.html
So it seems that, if I switch to PlusNet's "Premium" ADSL2+ service and then find that my speed never exceeds 7.1Mbps, it'll probably be because my INP value is too high, so I should ask PlusNet to set it to 1.
However, for the moment I'm going to hold off switching over to ADSL2+ because whenever you change things there's always the possibility that it might go horribly wrong, and currently I just can't afford to be without my broadband connection. And when I do switch, I'll probably pay the P&P for the Thomson router - it's always good to have a backup, just in case!  Wink
Si
sinewave
Grafter

Hmmm...
That advice from zyxel could well be correct but I suspect it is confusing the issue somewhat.
INP settings are directly related to how your connection copes with sudden short bursts of noise (or impulses - ie "spikes") on your line. Such noise bursts typically occur from electrical interference caused by switches or motors etc. Stuff that is usually out of your control. Its the same things that can make your (analogue) radio go pop or crackle sometimes.
If your INP setting is turned down to make your line less resilient to such noise then you may get disconnections. Get enough disconnections over a period of time and you'll find your sync speed dropping like the proverbial as BT's gear tries to provide a reliable connection. Having said that your line may be free from these spikes anyway, in which case you don't need "Impulsive Noise Protection" switched on at all, and this brings advantages to your connection (faster ping times - good for gamers).
I find it astonishing that Zyxel do not know for sure what their own router can do! But there you go.
I think you are wise to get the thomson router for back-up. If its just for the price of P&P then you can't go wrong.
grahamt
Rising Star

Thanks for the info. The best source I have for INP levels is the list of profiles posted by Dave at the start of the line management trial in January. It looks like anyone who is not on a 'banded profile' has INP=0 or INP=1 downstream and INP=0 upstream. For people on banded profiles INP could be 2 or even 4, but as the banding limits your speed anyway it's probably not going to make a big difference. Here's the table:
INP (down)0124
Unbanded6700
2-4mb/s0001
3-61010
4-90010
7-142000

(This doesn't include everyone on the trial. I only saved the first page of the post. A larger sample would be better, but I don't have the data.)
I remember having INP=4 when my line was in the 2-4mb/s band. The fastest sync speed I've ever got was 9094 kb/s, so the ZyXEL certainly can sync at over 7mb/s using standard Plusnet settings. My line's attenuation is 38, so I won't get very much more than that, but it's not a router limitation.
Graham
djsi
Hooked

sinewave, I agree, it's astonishing (or should that be "pathetic"?) that Zyxel aren't certain about what their own products do! And yes, at the moment PN offer the Thomson router just for the price of P&P, and since it's one PN supply, it must be capable of working with ADSL2+. My many many years working in the IT industry have taught me you should always have a backup plan!  Wink
Graham, thanks for the additional INP info. When I get round to making the switch to ADSL2+ I'll see what speeds I get, then get in touch with PN if it looks as though my INP setting may be limiting my speeds unnecessarily.
Btw, have you guys isolated your bell wire or fitted a BT i-Plate (aka "Broadband Accelerator") to your BT master socket? After I isolated my bell wire at my BT master socket a few months ago, my Zyxel's sync speeds increased by 1Mbps, and then a few days later the BT exchange realised that my router was consistently synching at a higher rate and thus increased my BRAS profile to 6500kbps. So for just a few minutes' work with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers, my actual download speeds increased from 5Mbps to 6Mbps.  Cheesy
If you haven't done this (and you have the right type of master socket AND at least one extension socket), it's worth a try. Fitting a BT i-Plate has the same effect as isolating the bell wire, but you usually have to pay for the i-Plate, whereas pulling out the bell wire is free!  Smiley
(Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know, but this info may be of benefit to other readers.)
There are full details here:
http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/broadbandspeed.html
Si
Update: I was looking at the earlier posts and noticed both you guys have either isolated the bell wire or fitted a filter at the master socket. But I'll leave in my earlier comments since they might benefit someone else!
grahamt
Rising Star

I more than doubled my speed after I got my bell wire snipped. However, I have non-standard phone wiring (a 'star-wired connection' according to one of the pages on the Kitz site) so I may have benefited more than the average user. My wires had to be removed manually as I don't have a standard master socket. For the same reason I didn't feel competent enough to do it myself, but luckily I was able to find someone who was.
Pre-snip, the fastest I ever connected was around 5000kb/s, though most of the time after moving to ADSL2+ I was on a banded profile, syncing at 3069kb/s and with an IP profile of 2500. Now I sync at around 7500-8000 (fastest was over 9000, but that wasn't stable) and have an IP profile of 6500 or 7000.
Graham
djsi
Hooked

Graham, based on your attenuation and IP profile on ASDL2+ I'd guess you're not that close to the exchange. I must admit I'm very lucky in that respect - I can see the BT exchange from my window!
It'll be interesting to see what speeds I get when I switch to ADSL2+, though to be honest, part of the attraction in switching is the much higher monthly data quota compared to the old PN package that I'm on currently.
djsi
Hooked

Thought I'd just post an update since I recently took the plunge and switched to the ADSL2+ service PlusNet Extra.
Prior to requesting the upgrade I raised the matter of INP with PN Support. They confirmed that on my line, INP would be set to 1, meaning that my Zyxel 660HW-61 shouldn't have its sync speed limited.
Sure enough, as soon as my line was switched (around 10 days ago) to ADSL2+, the sync speed leapt from 7.6Mbps to 15.2Mbps, and has consistently synced at 15.2 on every reconnection since. Ping has increased a little (now 32ms instead of 28), and downstream the router is showing an SNRM of 15dB and attenuation of 7dB.
However, it seems that on the day of the switch to ADSL2+ PN Support manually raised my bRAS profile to 21Mbps so I could benefit straightaway from the higher speeds. In practice I'm now getting actual download speeds of at least 10.5Mbps (compared to 5.9Mbps on the standard ADSL service previously).
FWIW, I had PN send me the Thomson router just in case (only cost a fiver!), but so far my old Zyxel 660HW-61 seems to be working quite happily.
So following my switch to PlusNet Extra, my monthly quota has risen dramatically, my download speed is more than 75% faster than before, and the monthly cost has also dropped by a few quid. It's no wonder PlusNet keep winning awards! Wink
Thanks again to Graham & sinewave for your advice in recent months.
Si
sinewave
Grafter

As we're in update mode...
I'm now using my PN Thomson router. After longer term testing I found my zyxel would sync around 1Mb/s slower (at around 5Mbps)  than the thomson and it would hardly go for a day or so without a diconnect-reconnect. It was reliable and much better to configure but in the end the thomson router provided a much faster sync (6500+) and download speed (around 5Mb/s) and zero disconnects.
Thats on my line of course - others experiences I'm sure will vary. My "average" line seems to suffer from bursty noise so although my margin can be a healthy 6 or 7dB I'm still at risk of disconnects. The thomson seems much more resilient to this.
I'm about 1Mbps faster on adsl2+ than on plain adslmax. using my zyxel I had little or no increase in speed between the two types of connection.
So all in all, I am now enjoying reliable 5Mb downloads. Hardly super speedy but perhaps I shouldn't moan too much - there's plenty of folk that would kill for such a connection!
I am totally envious of anyone who's getting speeds like you djsi !
Force9Original
Grafter

Hi sinewave
Is your local exchange MSAN a  Huawei with the  Infineon  chipset? (  Vendor ID IFTN )
I ask because Certain Zyxel's have know issues with Huawei's MSAN's
If it is, then pairing a router chipset  to the exchange chipset can improve things when dealing with the dreaded Huawei on longer lines.
Some of the  later Netgears use Infineon's like ( DGN1000, ect ect) and of course the 2Wire's that Bob likes.