cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else on thn-ag1 experiencing MAJOR slowdown?

Moominfish
Grafter

Anyone else on thn-ag1 experiencing MAJOR slowdown?

I've noticed trying to load websites like nvidia.com and downloading drivers from them and other sites it's taking forever, and downloading at a really pathetic 24 kb/s yet apparently according to mybroadbandspeed.co.uk I'm getting a decent speed?Huh

Anyone else on thn-ag1 having issues?
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Anyone else on thn-ag1 experiencing MAJOR slowdown?

Those downloads are subjected to throttling - look under download sites http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
Moominfish
Grafter

Yeah I know all about the whole throttling thing but my god only being able to download them at 24 kb/s is a joke! I've abandoned it for now.....
Oh and the other night even at this time I could download drivers and most other things at a much faster rate than 24 kb/s so I really don't understand it, nothing should be throttled back to 24 kb/s!
I'll try again after 10pm see if anythings changed as no way am I waiting over an hour to download 106 megabytes of drivers.
I have a question for Plusnet though, why the hell throttle downloads to such a poor speed, theirs no need for it.
Moominfish
Grafter

Time to download 15 megabytes of an update on a PS3, 20% downloaded after 3 minutes.................
Oh and websites keep timing out as well, and coming up with errors, that I know isn't to do with throttling! I'm talking about signing into E-Mail for a start Hotmail to be precise, that can't be classed as a download site surely.....
The error is,
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"
This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
•Internet connectivity has been lost.
•The website is temporarily unavailable.
•The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
•The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
•There might be a typing error in the address.
•If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.
PS) For the record Hotmail's been working fine all day, just not now.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is about 133kbps which I agree is less than the 256kbps limit specified
Moominfish
Grafter

Tell me about it Jim, can't understand it myself why legit downloads like drivers and such get throttled at all! It's stupid, I mean it's supposedly all about bandwidth so if I download 106 megabytes of drivers in 2 minutes that's better than downloading 106 megabytes in 1 hour surely? Because I'd only be connected to NVIDIA's server for 2 minutes instead of an hour which surely must be better for the environment and my sanity lol Tongue
MOGO
Grafter

Absolutely pathetic level of service over the last few days - see graph
Might as well be on the old dial-up!
Think the ISPs are getting like the banks and relying on customer inertia, but this little user is looking at pastures new!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

they had a problem yesterday, but claimed it was solved, it only affected people on ADSL2, I am on THN AG1, but as I am on Value, although 21cn, that package wont allow ADSL2, I dont have a speed problem
see http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1271155985.htm