cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody here use a Billion Bipac 7800N ?

andysen
Grafter

Anybody here use a Billion Bipac 7800N ?

I've been using a 7300N for the last 5 months and though the router is able to keep the sync up for up to 4 days at a time, I've found that the TrendChip chipset it uses is unsuitable for long lines. Researching has led me to believe that the 7800N (broadcomm chipset) will fare better.
Is there anybody here with this particular router and what has your experience been with it ?
Is there another router you'd recommend ? Line stats below.

Operational Mode ADSL G.DMT
Upstream 448 kbps
Downstream 3200 kbps
SNR Margin (Upstream) 18.0 db
SNR Margin (Downstream) 12.0 db
Line Attenuation (Upstream) 31.5 db
Line Attenuation (Downstream) 56.5 db

thanks
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Anybody here use a Billion Bipac 7800N ?

Unless you need the gigabit LAN then the 7700N would be a better bet as it is the same chipset and much cheaper
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Gigabit LAN, IPv6 support and also a WAN port as well as ADSL port seem to future proof the 7800N more than the 7700N.
I have had a 7800N for 19/20 months now  and have found it to be an excellent router, had in excess of 30 days uptime.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
AxeMurderer
Grafter

I bought mine at least as long ago as Dvorak did. I bought it for future-proofing reasons, thinking that the gigabit ports would be handy when I expand the wired side of my network. Some time later I've still not done much with the wired network, but I am now using it with FTTC and IPv6, neither of which I would have anticipated when I bought it.
It is also well-supported by Billion. I'd buy another.
I can't comment on how it performs with any particular line. It does have user-adjustable SNR; I have no opinion on whether meddling with that is wise/useful.
brueton
Grafter

I too have a 7800N and am very pleased with it.
I seem to get the best sync by disabling ADSL2+. I tried reducing the SNR Margin but it always seems to be forced back to approx. 6 dB.
My line stats are:
Operational Mode ADSL2
Upstream 826
Downstream 3502
SNR Margin(Upstream) 5.1
SNR Margin(Downstream) 6.3
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 37.0
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 59.5
SteveArnold
Dabbler

Hi,
I have a Billion 7800N running 1.06b firmware and generally I'm very happy with it although I am currently trying to track down the cause of a disconnect every few days between 0100 & 0200.
My stats are:
DSP Firmware Version A2pB025f.d22k
DMT Status No Defect
Operational Mode G.DMT
Upstream 448
Downstream 8128
SNR Margin(Upstream) 21.0
SNR Margin(Downstream) 9.6
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 25.5
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 49.0

Steve
robbo6
Dabbler

Also very happy with my 7800N.  Currently 10 days uptime & the wireless connection is very solid when compared to the Netgear it replaced.  Stats as follows (not that they mean much to me)
DSP Firmware Version A2pB025f.d22k
DMT Status No Defect
Operational Mode ADSL2+
Upstream 443
Downstream 12203
SNR Margin(Upstream) 27.4
SNR Margin(Downstream) 7.4
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 14.7
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 26.0
andysen
Grafter

Thank you all for your inputs.
Oldjim - yes, while it may seem that the 7700N is about a third of the price, there's been some issues over its NAT table size (whirlpool au forums).
After going through 3 routers in as many years, i am willing to take a more expensive bet at this stage in return for more assured results.
Double_Six
Dabbler

Hi Guys,
Got meself one of these recently, mainly for the Gigabit wired connection for my home network - having now upgraded all other adapters to Gigabit. What a difference the Billion has made to my ethernet speed - plus better wireless coverage and speed over the old PlusNet supplied Thompson!
One let-down is my NAS device. I was hoping uploads to my Aero-NAS (Gigabit - it says)  would speed up, but no such luck. Seems like NAS units in general are very, very slow and the speeds I'm getting are typical. I think the best bet is to use another computer as a server.
Back to the Billion. I'm on a long line from the exchange, but my Internet connection speed is better, just not sure by how much as PlusNet's speedtester is down. Prior to the 7800n, my old router started dropping frequently and caused my speed to be capped. Since installing the Billion, I've had the connection dropping problem (as suffered by other owners). I upgraded to the latest firmware (1.06d) but it didn't help. I then changed from PPOA to PPOE with the other associated changes (listed elsewhere) and the router now restarts automatically. Seems to have done the trick, but s'pose I'll have to wait for ages to find out while PlusNet hopefully raise my speed profile.
The user interface is a bit daunting - especially the advanced version! However, I'm a habitual "fiddler" and just had to look at all the things available. I just don't understand most of it though! I've looked at the Billion site and forum, but it seems to raise more questions than give answers!
Can anyone out there put together a dummies guide to "tuning" the thing for the best connection with PlusNet - I mean for example, what is PhYR and how do you adjust the SNR. What is SRA and do I need it. Should Ipv6 be enabled, etc., etc? 
Anyway, despite these insignificant issues, I'm very pleased with my purchase. TIA for any advice,
Double Six   
AxeMurderer
Grafter

I'll only comment on the couple of points I know anything about...
I too have a NAS with a gigabit port connected to the Billion. It isn't very fast; I doubt that the NAS could challenge a 100Mb port. Which makes sense; the NAS box doesn't have a very powerful CPU, and in any case must eventually come back to (single) disk performance.
It doesn't matter what you do with the IPv6 setting. Plusnet do not yet supply you with an IPv6 address on normal accounts so it might as well be disabled. If it is enabled, nothing bad will happen.
matt_2k34
Grafter

I may be wrong.. but i believe that the 7800N doesnt have the SNR 'tweak' in the 1.06d firmware...
(think it was removed in 1.04, but again, I could be wrong.
Using mine currently on FTTC, like the others bought it because of its future-proof specs, on ADSL2 it worked very well on my long line (4 meg), and held onto it much better than anything on the other line at my premises (which is actually, slightly better)
Since installing the Billion, I've had the connection dropping problem (as suffered by other owners)

1.06d fixed this for me (it reduced with every version of the firmware) and by the "end" of my use on ADSL, was *very* stable.
My line has been *very* prone to many many many faults though (being on first name terms with several local engineers, never that good tbh) Smiley
my old router started dropping frequently and caused my speed to be capped

Sounds like a possible line fault? Might be worth someone from PN strapping up a visual radius so you can see whats going on. Smiley
Regards
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

The 7700N does not have a 6358. It has a 6328. I have had it and it was pants. WiFi was poor and it didn't hold a connection well at all.
ajbrown1965
Grafter

I've had a 7800N for about 18 months now and it has always been good. I've had a lot of problems in that time but nothing to do with the 7800N, which actually held its connection when other routers I tried were dropping out. I did have a phase where it would disconnect and immediately reconnect again (without any loss of speed etc.) every 2 or 3 days, but about a week ago I installed system version 1.06d and haven't had a disconnect for 7 days. (Now I've said that it probably will tonight!). With regards future proofing the 7800N had both an ADSL and a fibre connection, and so no further hardware should be needed when the magic fibre arrives at the house. BTW I'm about 3Kms from the exchange. When I was switched over to ADSL2+ I did have a few problems but these seem to have gone now. I don'tr thenk they were the fault of the 7800N anyway. I'd recommend the router any time.
AxeMurderer
Grafter

Matt: the snr page is still there at <router_ip>/snr.cgi . Like you, I'm on fibre so it doesn't do anything for us. I imagine it still works on ADSL
@ajbrown1965: as matt and others would confirm, the 7800N is just fine with fibre and you won't need any other kit (other than the BT Openreach-supplied fibre modem).
Mine was rock solid on firmware 1.05(g?) with an uptime of months. It is similarly stable on 1.06d.
Double_Six
Dabbler

Hi AxeM and All,
I found snr page via <router ip>/snr.html but dunno how to tweak it. My snr was 7 dB and my attenuation is  24.5 Up and 52 down. Connection rate is 6080Kbps downstream and I live about 3 Km from the exchange which is 21CN enabled so I'm thinking (maybe ?) about ADSL2 +  Apparently, the line management is better and any occasional disconnects don't make us suffer for 3 days or more.
The disconnect problem with PPOA and 1.06d firmware was that the router would not automatically re-connect. It had to be manually rebooted each time. Changing to PPOE cured that problem but I don't know if that would cause any other problems with PlusNet wanting us to connect via PPOA? Oh, and VMux (or whatever) needs changing too... see other thread on disconnects.
My exchange is supposed to be going fibre in March, so another reason for me buying this router.
Anyone know anything about enabling SRA and PhYR?
Cheers,