cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any support reading..?

Kwak
Rising Star

Any support reading..?

Last few days my speed has been ***appalling***. I've just raised a ticket but it says it'll take 15+ hours to be handled so ..
After reading I see I'm stuck on the lowest profile (250?) and getting speed that seem lower than my modem would give?! Sad
Router is rock solid on:
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7.008
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,0 / 19,5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 13,0 / 24,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21,0 / 15,0
- I've had broadband for years with pn and this is first time this has happened.
Beginning of week router was dropping a bit, I picked up phone and heard crackling and wondered if it was weather. After unplugging and replugging everything it went away, probably something loose somehow when I moved stuff recently(?!). Anyway, not had problem since - I've read up on your sync help and that was certainly more than 3 days ago mentioned. I get horrible feeling some clervur algorithm somewhere is ignoring X years of good connection and current good connection, deciding a short period of crap means I'm now permanently on a sub 1980s style modem speed until I hassle a human. ?.:(  Pity I can't ask over web to re-check best profile myself. Anyhoo. Can someone just rejig my profile back to what it was please?
25 REPLIES 25
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Any support reading..?

Nobody can rejig the BT ipProfile - you will just have to wait impatiently  Sad for it to happen automatically and pray that you don't have a low sync in the meantime 
Kwak
Rising Star

"seem lower than my modem would give"
Ok slight exageration now I delve into history and remind myself model is 56 kbps versus 27.8 kBps Smiley But still.
It's slowest setting and noticably much slower - especially if steam or something has decided to download something in background, you're at a crawl.
Kwak
Rising Star

Nodoby can rejig.? Not even GANDALF?
That's very annoying. Help said something somewhere about  3 days and being 'stuck on a profile' though .. there must be something someone can do.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

With a big change like that it should happen much quicker - but don't hold your breath as often it doesn't.
All you can do is the occasional BT speedtest and the moment it increases as Plusnet to match it (could save up to 12 hourd)
Kwak
Rising Star

GRR just typed up a post and had timed out so lost it Sad Anyway ..
Anyway bt result (in IE as it doesn't like firefox!)
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
201 Kbps  <----------------- argh
0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 201 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7008 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6000 Kbps
This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your ISP to investigate the fault.
----
So what's up? I had a good speed up until now, **BT** says my profile is 6000bps, yet I'm getting 200? My upload
speed is rock solid on other test sites at faster than my download speed! Is it the PN profile throttling me?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

So the BT profile has recovered - has this one increased https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
if it hasn't a phone call asking them to match the ipProfile would help
Kwak
Rising Star

Current line speed:
Kwak
Rising Star

Ok now a much more respectably 5200ish. PN went to 6000 an hour or two ago but it didn't improve. I needed to disconnect/ reconnect router again (even though it had connected at full 7008 speed itself) to finally kick it all into life.
Dunno if someone at PN pressed a button or if my hassling them was just a co-incidence Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If it was done manually then a reboot would be required
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I can't see that anyone changed it manually, so it just updated via the scripts we use. Good to see your profile has increased and you're getting much better speeds now.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Kwak
Rising Star

In the name of GOD what is going on?
Was wondering what was up as net has slowed to a crawl, (router has been rock for weeks), ROUTER says connected at full speed,
and once again, plusnets settings say they have dropped me back to
Current line speed:
For absolutely no reason that I can see, no warning, just done it.. I should NOT have to spend my time chasing this sort of thing up!
Not happy!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

and what does a BT speed test say
Kwak
Rising Star

I've not tested!
I'm not about to run bt speed test every couple weeks in order to tell me the line I've had ADSL on for X years is still ok, in order to (through some magic in the background) jiggle plusnets system action to make the sync rate normal again! That's just getting silly  Shocked
My router has been rock solid last weeks, in fact I can't think of a single disconnect I know about. This seems compltely out of the blue. The router says it's connected fine and stable, and my line when I pick up the handset is click and rustle free. All I knew was when I had something updating, i couldn't really do anything else over link, so went to check it all, and lo - screwed again.
God knows... Angry
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Your profile was updated yesterday morning, following an update from BT. What does a BT speedtest say?
We don't just change your profile on a whim, it takes a report from BT that your line profile has changed.
I can see a few early morning drops, but nothing too severe.
I'd suggest raising a fault if the BT speedtest profile matches ours.