cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any suggestions or advice?

paulby
Grafter

Re: Any suggestions or advice?

If you haven't ever tweaked RWIN it'll be set to the Windows default which can be returned to by deleting the value in DrTCP (i.e.having a blank box).  It is worth giving it a go as it can make large changes to poor download speeds - especially as you are synced at 8128.
If the MTU is 1458 and that's set on the router and you haven't changed it in Window to be either the same or less than your router setting you can run into problems (Windows default MTU is 1500),
If you don't want to tweak too much you could try altering the router to 1500 and see how it goes.
It is important that the PC's value should be the same as or less than the value in your router.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I am having the same issues as baba, I know my RWIN is ok, but ran the tweak test anyway to be sure, and all OK. My speeds are very laggy, see post here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,69058.16.html
Seems to be some issues with the network, but odd as i am on RIN at the mo, which is a little better, but still woefully poor.
BaBa
Dabbler

Quote from: Paul03
If you haven't ever tweaked RWIN it'll be set to the Windows default which can be returned to by deleting the value in DrTCP (i.e.having a blank box).  It is worth giving it a go as it can make large changes to poor download speeds - especially as you are synced at 8128.
If the MTU is 1458 and that's set on the router and you haven't changed it in Window to be either the same or less than your router setting you can run into problems (Windows default MTU is 1500),
If you don't want to tweak too much you could try altering the router to 1500 and see how it goes.
It is important that the PC's value should be the same as or less than the value in your router.

Sorry about that Paul03 - I re-read your first response and noted that I could restore defaults by leaving the boxes blank - I really should pay more attention.
Anyway, I did as you and spraxyt suggested, and then run a series of tests and the best result was 2903kbps - so it was a vast improvement.
Penfold - I agree, as even though my speed has increased enormously with those tweaks, I'd still expected more with a sync rate of 8128 and profile of 7150. Line attenuation is only 25dB and SNR 6dB aswell, so I'd hoped for nearer 6Mbps.
paulby
Grafter

Try another test round about 11pm if you're still on-line.
Your speed can vary over the day and especially so in the evening when everyone's on line (ADSL is a contended service).
My speeds go from around 3000kbps at 8pm to over 6000kbps after 11.
Results of a couple of tests here and here.
My sync is 8128 with a 7150 profile.
BaBa
Dabbler

paulby
Grafter

Good stuff!  That's a bit more like it!