Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any problems today?

colintivy
Rising Star

Any problems today?

Hi folks,

After a torrid time with disconnects and slow speeds recently which resulted in a BT visit and a new cable to our pole, cable damaged by gales and an adjacent tree. Today it seems that rain must have got into something (perhaps not local) because things have been getting better with DLM gradually lowering the noise margin ( 14-16 db from 18-20db but 8-12db before). Belkin N Router gives downstream data rates of 3500 -2500 Kbs(which agree with BT). But today, trying to connect with all the Plus.net addresses has been like walking uphill through treacle. Even MBS failed to run its Test, just sat there with the dials not moving for many minutes!
Is this widespread or local?
Shocked  Angry
34 REPLIES 34
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Any problems today?

I imagine that the rain will cause many issues over this period but there's no saying if yours is affected by that. There's nothing widespread, I can say that for certain. Your SNR is currently 17dB with a 15dB target. It's been pretty consistent around that mark for the past 14 days from what I can see.
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Jo Jo,
Thanks for quick reply,
It must be a coincidence but things have been restored to "normal" since going to lunch. I had been considering suggesting that you might try resetting  things from your end to see if I can get back to the type of speed and noise margin which I had before the cable-break. DLM has not seemed to have got much further on my behalf. Is this premature?
C.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

What do you mean by 'normal'?
colintivy
Rising Star

I have had download speeds of around 3Mbs and Noise ratios of 8db at best. I am on 2KM overhead cabling to exchange with attenuation of 40db. Present figures are about 2.3Mbs and 14db.which have been maintained for some days now. Any improvement would be welcome! Last year you did work wonders with a resetting and I would hope for a repeat performance.
Attached is a recent MBS printout, not that really helps  I guess.
C.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Obviously your recent line problems have pushed up your Target SNRM. The variations you've been seeing since are just the variations that your installation normally sees. What you need now the line from the pole has been replaced is an SNR reset. Did they replace the Master socket in the garage at the same time?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI colintivy,
If you're confident the external issue has been fixed then I'll be happy to to reset it. I'd much prefer it to be in the test socket though.
Jojo Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

It's is his garage loft! It's best if we don't go there  Shocked  Roll_eyes
colintivy
Rising Star

@ Anotherone,  The master socket is an NTE5 (in the garage roof as you remembered), but it was not replaced.  I have not got round to starting another thread but hope to do so before long (with a PM).. Thanks
@ Jo Jo,  the cable seems to be fine, it ought to because it was a complete replacement from a new reel. I have not had any noise or drop-outs since. Please try a reset of noise db if you think it worthwhile, I have had 8db in the past. I also note that it has been 10 db but today gone it has up to 20db with a line speed of 2176 Kbs which looks ominous (DLM having a bad day?)
Anotherone
Champion

Have a listen with a phone Colin and make sure you can't hear any crackling or other noises.
20dB isn't such a big change from the 17dB the other day.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi colintivy,
ok, I'll be happy to give it a go, but just bear in mind that your line will be in the 10 day initialisation period so you'd have to wait if there were any issues. Just let me know if that's ok and I'll go ahead with it.
Jojo Smiley
colintivy
Rising Star

@Anotherone,  Phone is absolutely clear of any crackles, which is what it was when the engineer left and subsequently. I have read in some threads that occasional disturbances from kitchen appliances like washing machines, dishwashers and immersion heaters which come on and off and which could not be detected except by luck, are a possible source of trouble. The appliances seem to be fitted with internal filters to reduce this but immersions do not. Is there a recommended source of one for a 3KW version, which could be fitted externally? I could easily do that.
Also when I have sent you the photos you may be able to suggest better cabling as well.
@Jo Jo,  I will await Anotherone's reply before putting you to the trouble of asking for a reset  now. He mentioned that the Master Socket is in the garage roof space, it would be possible to put the Belkin N Router up there temporarily but not easily to connect a computer to it. Would this be any good for your checks when the time comes? This would mean that I would be incommunicado until I get it back to the house for proper checks at this end. 10 days would be a bit much I think. Perhaps you can advise please.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No worries, thanks for letting us know. Regarding the test socket, ideally it should be in there for the duration of the training period because that way the line will train to its best possible speed.
Would it be at all possible to use homeplugs or similar to carry the connection from the router to the house?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Would one of these help the situation? http://www.adslnation.com/products/xtf.php
Have a normal socket in the garage with nothing to ever be plugged in. Run a high quality twisted pair cable to where you want the router and put the XTF there. Any other sockets to be run off the back of the filtered side of the XTF.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

@jelv
He needs a re-wire, we've been part way through the issue a while ago.
@colintivy
I'd let Jojo or Matt go ahead with the reset as you are, then at least you'll get back to the previous performance you had or maybe better now the outside cable has been fixed.
Regarding the other queries, I'll drop you a PM later on today.
Edit: But post back here and request the reset.