cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any ideas why my connection is now slower?

ScottJames
Grafter

Any ideas why my connection is now slower?

Hey everyone
Had my FTTC connection since the 7th of Feb and it has been rock solid. The HHub5 is indicated that the line is synced at 78.12 Mbps, and when I have done speed tests I would get back any where from 70-73 Mbps (Wi-FI) and on downloads I would get a speed up to 8.6 MB and it would stay around there. Everything has been great but on Friday evening my connection dropped and wouldn't sync at first. When it finally did the speed was really slow. Since then the connection has been back on for 3 days and 23 hours, but now on speed tests I get around 60Mbps (Wi-Fi) and 72Mbps (Wired) (that is also on BT speediest site) but on downloads I can't get anything higher then 6.5 MB, and even then it slowly creeps back down to 4.5 MB and sometimes goes lower. Any ideas why I can't get back to the normal download speed?
My monthly usage so far is 305GB, with my next bill due in the next few days. So I am guessing it will reset on the same day. Is this heavy usage, and would Plusnet throttle my downloads?
Thanks for any help and suggestions  Smiley
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Any ideas why my connection is now slower?

Quote from: ScottJames
My monthly usage so far is 305GB, with my next bill due in the next few days. So I am guessing it will reset on the same day. Is this heavy usage, and would Plusnet throttle my downloads?
That one is easy - no it won't have any effect and you aren't being throttled
ScottJames
Grafter

Cool. Thanks Oldjim. So I wonder what is causing the sudden decrease!
Also it looks like I have a double post.
ScottJames
Grafter

OK. I did some more testing last night and could not get a download to go higher then 6MB and again it slowly drops down to 4MB and sometime slower. This is quiet a drop from the 8-8.6MB that I had before Friday.
I did some more speed tests over Wi-Fi and Wired, and they came back at 65 Mbps (Wi-Fi) and 72 Mbps (wired). There has got to be some sort of management here because it doesn't make sense why my downloads have slowed down so much.
If someone at Plusnet could look in to this their end to make sure that everything is correct, then that would be great.
Thanks for any help and suggestions
Oldjim
Resting Legend

which download sites are you getting those results from
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

If you could let us know where you're downloading from as Oldjim has mentioned that'd be great. Also, what other applications were being run on your computer at the time? Were there any other devices connected to the network too?
ScottJames
Grafter

Hi Oldjim & Chris
I have tried a whole host of sites. One site that always gave great download speeds is Apples Developer site which I would get any where from 8 - 8.6MB. Now I get around 4.5MB. I just don't understand why I get the results on the speed checker and the router is indicating that it is synced at 78.12 Mbps, but my download does not reflect this. I have tried to download items at different times of the day as well to rule out peak time issues, and it doesn't seem to make a difference.
When testing the line I have tried with all other wired and wireless devices disconnected and it doesn't seem to make any difference. The only other thing I can think of doing is to reset the HH5 back to factory settings. I just don't like to disconnect the line if I don't need to.
Thanks for the help  Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

which gateway are you on http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/
ScottJames
Grafter

I can't be 100% at the moment as I am work, but I believe when I checked the other night it was 04.
ScottJames
Grafter

Ok just got the wife to check it for me and we are connected to: ptn-ag04.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I think that rules that out as it is ptw-ag01 which is having trouble at the present
ScottJames
Grafter

So is there anyway to find out if I was on ptw-ag01? At least then I would know why the line disconnected!
I am going to reset the router back to factory settings and see if that helps at all.
ScottJames
Grafter

Hey Oldjim
Just reset the HH5 back to factory settings and things seem to have returned to normal. Speed tests via Wi-Fi are hitting 71Mb, and just downloaded a large file from Apple Developer, and it went up to 8MB, and stayed there!
Hopefully that is the end of those issues for a while!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

You were connected to PTN-AG04 at the time.
Glad things are looking up now. Let us know if we can be of any further help.