cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any ideas from anyone?

MikeyM
Grafter

Any ideas from anyone?

I am hoping someone can help me before I have to move.
I was with SKY broadband and got speeds of 4mb, constant, based on SNR of 5db. The line never dropped connection.
I moved to plusnet as I binned my Sky tv.
When I first connected I got a good sync speed of arond the 3800 mark.
Over the next week or so the sync speed went down as the DLM system forced my SNR up.
I have had to move to using a Netgear router so that I can tweak my target SNR to get the most out of my line.
I want to use the router that Plusnet gave to me and be able to connect and disconnect as I like without having to wait unitl the system catches up to my speed. By that I mean that if I turn off my netgear router I have to wait until is connects before I can then resync my SNR, during this time when my sync is lower BT will lower my ip profile , I then have to run a few bt speedtests before my ip-profiel goes back up and then wait again until plus net catches up.
The whole thing I find very frustrating.
I know my line is not the best as I am a fair way from the exchange but I know what kind of speeds I have had in the past and know what I can get today when I put in the work to get there.
Can anyone assist me in getting this target SNR under control, it is ruining my service.
Thanks.
Current stats using Netgear router, with SNR hacked to give me decent connection

Router stats showing that connection has been stable for way long enough for me
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Any ideas from anyone?

From my experience the 75 minute rule seems to work so a low sync for less time than that doesn't affect the IP profile
newthing
Grafter

respectfully - remind me/us of the 75 min rule?
sounds like a solution to a frequent issue,
Thank-you
Toby G
--  MikeyM >>looks to me like a goodish connect for 53dB attenuation, ++low SNRM is the speciality for Netgears with broadcom chipset
but they have a limit and 6dB might be healthier for long term stability in m h o
if its the netgear 'uptime' we're looking at, my own has a habit of displaying an uptime for PPP link, skipping that there may have been disconnects aplenty from the DSL signal, as would be seen by plusnet/ BTWholesale Dynamic line management system/ the exchange systems. (could be - or not - only PN will be able to tell)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm#IPprofile_increase_time
Basically what I do is to resync within 5 or 10 minutes and it doesn't seem to hit my profile
What is "Adaptive Max Logic"?
    * Decreases in sync speed will still reflect in the IP profile within 75 mins.
    * Increases in sync speed will depend on the percentage of the increase and will vary between a few hours and up to 5 days.

MikeyM
Grafter

That does not seem to be the case for me.
If I disconnect for just a few mins and then reconect at lower Sync the IP profile frequently goes down.
This aside I want to be able to use the router they gave me and not have to "butcher" the target SNR!
I know they had a trail program where people could request what their SNR was to be, maybe this will be rolled out.
If not then I guess it is back to LLU for me as this is not the service for me or I suggest anyone who is pretty far from the exchange.
spock
Grafter

@MikeyM  I suggest you try alternative firmware on your Netgear, DGTeam (http://dgteam.ilbello.com/) allows you to set the Target SNR tweak to persist over reboots and sounds like it would be beneficial to you.
AFAIK SNR Tweaking is not possible using the PN supplied Thompson router.
I was on the trial you refer to, and for me it was a resounding success.  I too hope they roll it out as a production service.
Good luck!
Spock
MikeyM
Grafter

The ticket I raised does not seem to be going anywhere, just find the whole thing pretty poor.