cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any idea if plusnet will uncap 12am-8am p2p speeds

scootie
Grafter

Any idea if plusnet will uncap 12am-8am p2p speeds

every other account r on unristricted p2p speeds between 12am-8am. so why do u see fit to cap option1 to 32kB/s.
surely option1 accounts make more profit than other accounts due to we only use 1gb for £10 plus 75p/£1 for more.
plz cut us abit of slack and up overnight speeds to somthing useable plz.
22 REPLIES 22
Jovetic
Grafter

Re: Any idea if plusnet will uncap 12am-8am p2p speeds

If they unleashed all the accounts for full speed during the ngiht their servers would probably blow up.Just pay a tenner extra, its still cheap for what you get.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

BBYW option 1 is a budget account with associated budget (i.e. limited) capabilities. All bandwidth costs money including off-peak so there is a limit to what PlusNet can offer at such a price. Margins are also very tight at the budget end thus limits are imposed to try and make it economic.
The more you pay the more features you get including allowances and speeds.
scootie
Grafter

pay £20 and still hav to worry about how much i use no thanks 8mb or 24mb B UNLIMTED still cheaper than £20 and people download 200mb with no slow downs on the network and no one has ever got fair usage  warning . roll on the end of 12 month contract.
i dont want unlimted speed for overnight p2p speeds on option1. just a speed that will make p2p useable.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You dont have to pay £20, you can get unrestricted off-peak P2P on BBYW option 2 @ £14.99/mo. Is Be cheaper than that?
Like I said, BBYW option 1 is a budget account and not designed for P2P use. If that is what you want to do then you need to be on a suitable account.
Ianwild
Grafter

Quote from: scootie
every other account r on unristricted p2p speeds between 12am-8am. so why do u see fit to cap option1 to 32kB/s.
surely option1 accounts make more profit than other accounts due to we only use 1gb for £10 plus 75p/£1 for more.
plz cut us abit of slack and up overnight speeds to somthing useable plz.

Have a read of this page Scootie - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adsl_cost.htm
I think you may have misunderstood how much it costs us to provide ADSL.
Wehn you consider we provide free activation and subsidised hardware too, you will appreciate just how tight the option 1 product is for us already.
Ian
scootie
Grafter

read it and yes its expensive but does ofcom stop BT FROM NOT CHARGING PLUSNET (THAT IT OWNS) TO USE CENTRAL PIPES(THAT IT OWNS) OR AT A VERY REDUCED COST. charging your self to use your own pipe line seems madness to me.
£40 activation fee how come an LLU provider can charge £24 activation fee.
and like it says on that page how come people in the 3rd world get a better broadband service than r selfs?
do we need to get rid of ofcoms meadling and let bt take over by being able to lower there prices fo central cap?
Any one any ideas or knowledge of what should be done to improve u.k's broadband network. what is this 21cn yadda yadda stuff going to do is it cheaper for bt to run or will it improve the network so we will not be left behind by japan and france (and probally iraq in a few years time)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

BT wholesale is not allowed to subsidise BT retail.
It's daft - but not as daft as denationalisation. BT still owns the network.
As a result they have to be so careful about "discriminating" against other private companies.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

scootie
Grafter

well g brown acted on r behalf and spent r money on a dodgey bank.
so personally i would want him to butt in and sort the broadband network out spend sum of r billons on something we will see.
jobs depend on us being able to out smart the rest of the world on the I.T front.
probally come a point when r network is so poor that banks will not be able to transfer data to india (ie phone calls ect) because no one in this country has got the guts to rip up the roads and lay fibre.
any one heard that bt went to number 10 and said to  the iron lady that they would pay to install fibre and she repiled get lost your not diging up my roads ive just put across the country side. in  her mind £££££££ im going to privatise u and cash in
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

read it and yes its expensive but does ofcom stop BT FROM NOT CHARGING PLUSNET (THAT IT OWNS) TO USE CENTRAL PIPES(THAT IT OWNS) OR AT A VERY REDUCED COST. charging your self to use your own pipe line seems madness to me.

All the charges that Plusnet has to pay are to BT Wholesale. BT Wholesale does not own Plusnet, BT Retail own Plusnet.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chillypenguin
Grafter

roll on the end of 12 month contract.

When did you sign up to PlusNet?
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: axisofevil
BT wholesale is not allowed to subsidise BT retail.
It's daft - but not as daft as denationalisation. BT still owns the network.

Actually I beleive thats wrong. If memory serves correctly, they lease the network. It was apparently purchased from BT a few years ago by a large organisation called Land Securities Trillium.
They buy most government buildings properties and then lease them back with a maintenance contract. Same for the BT tower in london - Also owned by Land Securities Trillium.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
scootie
Grafter

Quote from: chillypenguin
roll on the end of 12 month contract.

When did you sign up to PlusNet?

signed up early oct 07 service up running 2nd of nov 07
chillypenguin
Grafter

You could try BBYW Option 2 @ £15 per month, and go back to option 1 at any time.
scootie
Grafter

im not paying extra £5 to get unristricted p2p speeds on overnight usage. im going to stick with option 1 and if i find i cant wait intill nov then i will pay the £70 to move to be unlimted and pay them just an extra £4 to use what i like when i like with no speed caps.