cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti Spoofing measures

ewelmestore

Anti Spoofing measures

We are a community store, recently moved to Plusnet for faster broadband to enable our card machine to take payments using our internet connection rather than the phone line. 

I am completed our PCI DSS compliance questionnaire and need to know if there are anti-spoofing meaures in place on the Plusnet router?

This is to detect and block forged sourced IP addresses from entering the network. 

It is critical to our PCI DSS compliance, which is already overdue. 

If there are no measures in place, what can we do instead? Can we use a different router (with anti spoofing measures) and still have our contract with Plusnet?
Thank  you!

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Anti Spoofing measures

I believe the same question has been asked before https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Anti-spoofing-on-router/td-p/1422512

As indicated in that thread , you will need to use a different router to provide those facilities.

Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ewelmestore

Thank you. I saw that thread but as it was from last year, thought I would start a new one in case the situation had changed. 

I've managed to speak to someone in the Plusnet business team on this matter today. They've advised that the router does prevent spoofing, but isn't "officially" anti-spoofing compliant for some of the card machine providers, so it depends what question they ask on this matter and whether the cost of non-compliance here is less than the cost of introducing a new router which officially ticks the boxes. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

If it helps, then something like a Draytek 2862 , which has the anti-spoofing facility and is ADSL/VDSL compatible will cost between £185 & £230 depending on whether you need wireless or not https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/store/fibre-routers/bt-infinity-routers/ .

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ewelmestore

Thank you, much appreciated. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@ewelmestore actually if you don't need the performance of the 2862 or the VPN capability

then from what I can see the 2762 also has the anti-spoofing ( BLOCK land ) option on it's firewall settings and is £125

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/31965-draytek-v2762n-k/