cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another speed fault

katpaw
Grafter

Another speed fault

I have been experiencing very slow speeds since Sunday.
A number of tests on www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk show download speed to be 116kbps and upload speed 1200kbps.
Nothing has changed at home. I only have one phone socket in use and no Sky/fax/secondary phone etc.
I do not have a test socket under that plate of my master socket. I have changed my filter and powered my Thomson router off/on all without change.
I have completed the broadband fault checker and a ticket was raised on Monday morning (ref 33780439). As yet I have had no reponse and the slow speeds are very frustrating.
Having ready through a few other similar threads on here I have been onto speedtester.bt.com and I have pasted the results below:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 117 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2400 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
Tried tests on thinkbroadband.com too:

My local exchange is Lofthouse Gate and I as far as I can determine there are no problems here.
Can Plusnet or anyone help? I feel like I'm in a timewarp on dial-up.
All the best
Paul, Wakefield
15 REPLIES 15
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Another speed fault

Quote from: katpaw

At some stage you have connected below that speed. You need to keep your line totally stable with no re-connections and sooner or later (possibly a couple of days) BT will reset your IP Profile. Some time after that (within 12 hours) you will start to see faster speeds again.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
katpaw
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Quote from: katpaw

At some stage you have connected below that speed. You need to keep your line totally stable with no re-connections and sooner or later (possibly a couple of days) BT will reset your IP Profile. Some time after that (within 12 hours) you will start to see faster speeds again.

Thanks for that. I should have mentioned that as well as slow speeds I keep getting disconnected too (ie the Internet lights goes off on my Thomson router).
How do BT reset my profile - do I have to ask them to do it or is it done automatically?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It won't happen if you're getting disconnections. Best to test the connection from the master socket with everything other than the router removed from the line and if it still drops there then raise us a fault at http://faults.plus.net - please raise it as an intermittent connection fault and not a speed fault though, as it's the connection drops that are causing the slow speeds.
katpaw
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
It won't happen if you're getting disconnections. Best to test the connection from the master socket with everything other than the router removed from the line and if it still drops there then raise us a fault at http://faults.plus.net - please raise it as an intermittent connection fault and not a speed fault though, as it's the connection drops that are causing the slow speeds.

I only have the master socket in use in the house. The filter is connected to this socket, and the router and telephone connected to the filter.
Should I remove the telephone from the filter, and if so for how long?
Should I close the ticket I referred to above and raise a new one?
Will it help if I provide connection logs from my router? If so how do I get these?
Many thanks in anticipation
Paul
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You say the master socket is the only one in use - are there extension sockets? If so it'd definitely be worth trying the connection in the test socket (behind the master socket front plate) with just the router in the filter there. You only need to test to confirm if the connection still drops or not - once you've confirmed that you'll be fine to put the phone back in. Bear in mind though, if your sync speed is significantly faster in the test socket then most likely your internal wiring is causing a lot of interference.
Don't worry about closing the ticket, it'll be fine as is - thanks for that.
As for getting connection logs, we have access to these from our side (as in the disconnections recorded by our server - we're not logging into your router I assure you!) but if you want to grab the details there's information on how to do so here.
Hope that helps,
katpaw
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
You say the master socket is the only one in use - are there extension sockets? If so it'd definitely be worth trying the connection in the test socket (behind the master socket front plate) with just the router in the filter there. You only need to test to confirm if the connection still drops or not - once you've confirmed that you'll be fine to put the phone back in. Bear in mind though, if your sync speed is significantly faster in the test socket then most likely your internal wiring is causing a lot of interference.
Don't worry about closing the ticket, it'll be fine as is - thanks for that.
As for getting connection logs, we have access to these from our side (as in the disconnections recorded by our server - we're not logging into your router I assure you!) but if you want to grab the details there's information on how to do so here.
Hope that helps,

Hi Matt,
In fact, no there are no other sockets  Cool ...so of course no others will be in use because there aren't any, ha ha!
There is no test socket behind the plate (mentioned in my first post). It is a white square socket and I guess it's probably a pretty old one.
I saw on another thread that I could try quiet line tests - I will try this when I get home and report back later.
Can you see the problems in my connection logs recorded on your server? I am at work now, but this afternoon at home around 3pm I had 3 or 4 disconnections (internet light went off on router) in about 15/20 mins, and also a couple earlier today, maybe around 10am ish (didn't note exact time I'm afraid).
Cheers
Paul
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If when you see a disconnection you could immediately check the phone for noise that would be very good!
katpaw
Grafter

If when you see a disconnection you could immediately check the phone for noise that would be very good!

Will do, good idea. Should I check for noise with the phone plugged directly into the socket, ie not via the filter with router attached?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

No keep the phone and router plugged in - changing anything could affect the noise - just pick up the handset and go for the quiet line test as soon as you see the disconnection. If you hear noise then unplug the filter and check with the phone only plugged directly in to the socket to see if the noise is still there.
Who do you pay for for phone?
katpaw
Grafter

No keep the phone and router plugged in - changing anything could affect the noise - just pick up the handset and go for the quiet line test as soon as you see the disconnection. If you hear noise then unplug the filter and check with the phone only plugged directly in to the socket to see if the noise is still there.
Who do you pay for for phone?

Not sure if I've had any dosconnections this evening as I have not been using the net continually. However I have done the line test (dialled 17070).
With just the phone plugged directly into the socket, there is a little noise but it is barely audible.
With the phone and router plugged into the filter, there is a little more noise than on the previous test.
However I have to say that I have always had a bit of noise on this line, especially when the router is on. The phone is cordless, I don't know if this makes a difference.
The line is paid for by BT.
This fault occurred from Sunday. Nothing has changed and it was OK before this.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The phone being cordless could explain the low level noise - that's why we say test with a wired phone if you can.
You now need to catch a disconnection to see if it is due to noise on the line. If you do hear something it will need to be reported as a voice fault to BT - and don't mention broadband.
katpaw
Grafter

Morning all,
PlusNet have done some extensive investigations from the ticket I raised but have found no fault.
HOWEVER, speeds have now picked up to normal (1600kbps on www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk, which is about what I normally get).
I have been using broadband all morning and have had no disconnections so far.
So it appears the fault has fixed itself...I guess if the disconnections are no longer taking place, the speed has automatically picked back up again?
I have left the ticket open for now and will continute to monitor the situation.
Cheers
Paul
katpaw
Grafter

If anyone is interested, my speed is now back to normal and disconnections no longer occurring.
As it happens, on Thursday I noticed BT Openreach vans in the area and noticed that engineers were working in a new green box on the pavement down the road. Then I followed a van to my local exchange at Lofthouse Gate. So it seems likely that they may have been doing some work?
Perhaps even upgrades!! I say this as my download speed is normally 1500kbps. I have just done a check now and it's come back at a whopping 3750kbps  Cheesy
Cheers, Paul
katpaw
Grafter

Just found the following link which confirms my local exchange was pencilled in for upgrade "by Summer 2010". Perhaps this was the work that was taking place last week? Seems that way. Just had nearly 5000kbps on www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk - I'm amazed  Smiley
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4123-openreach-announce-63-exchanges-for-fibre-upgrades.html