cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another router/long line question!

Denzil
Grafter

Another router/long line question!

So, I am on a 63 to 67db line, depending which router figure you believe. I had an Openreach technician in yesterday to investigate some connection problems, and he said I would benefit from going to ADSL2+. Now, an experienced technician ought to know what he is talking about, but everything I have read so far indicates that for my length of line it will actually be worse. Makes sense - a higher frequency signal will have greater attenuation on a long line. What do we think?
Second issue: coincidentally (I think) my hitherto faithful 2700HGV with Singtel firmware seems to have just given up the ghost. I have been given a new one with BT firmware, and followed the instructions here to set it up for a non-BT username, but it can't find an ADSL signal at all. At the moment I am using my old DG834v3, which always syncs lower than the 2Wire.
So, I know it is a big question, but I'm looking for opinions as to what to try. Another 2700? Reflash the new one? Or have something different? DG834 V4s are readily available, as are the PN 585s of course, but with FTTC coming before long I could splash out on a Billion 7800 and be ready for that.
12 REPLIES 12
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Another router/long line question!

Hi Denzil,
I believe a BT homehub3 works well on long lines and am told you can get them at quite a reasonable price on ebay. Alternatively I can send you one of our Thomson TG585v8 for the £4.99 P&P charge (£40 charge if you leave within 12 months) which are also very good on long lines. I've no idea why the engineer would say you'd be better on ADSL2+ because you definitely wouldn't.
Jojo Smiley
JEB
Grafter

Can the BT Home Hub 3 be used with FTTC on PlusNet?  I seem to remember that on the older ADSL models some of the BT login details were hard coded and you had to hack it so it would work on other ISPs.

James
Denzil
Grafter

There is a review here, which shows an RJ45 port (labelled BT Infinity), so it should work with FTTC. Maybe it is still a bit new, but I can't find many comparative reviews about its long line performance. Still, for the £90 or so cost I could get a Billion 7800...
The BT restriction was built in to the firmware on previous models, so you either had to do a bit of fiddling or change the firmware.
My Netgear is now syncing at 1920kbps, which is the highest I have ever seen Shocked :D. Time will tell how long it lasts.
knowdice
Rising Star

Bear in mind that you will still need the BT VDSL modem when you go to FTTC... 
JEB
Grafter

@Denzil
You can find it far cheaper than £90 on ebay.
However I'm not sure from your post if you mean you can use the v3 on any ISP or you are uncertain.  Unfortunately Google is no help, probably because the v3 is new.

James
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The HomeHub V3 definitely works on Plusnet*, and I have found mine a lot more stable than the HH2.
*And should also work on other BT-owned domains such as madasafish, etc.
Denzil
Grafter

Thanks, that's a good start! Did it need any tweaking or did it work setting it up in the normal way? Hmm, yes, like JEB said, there are plenty of cheap ones on eBay - might be worth trying.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Just a couple of gotchas, it reports downstream attenuation wrongly as 24dB when every other router I've tried displays it as 29dB. However, on my (good quality but longish) line I was losing connection about once a day with the HH2. Prior to Monday's power cut DSL uptime was over 3 weeks with the HH3. It clearly calls home from time to time, the logs show "Server URL: https://pbthdm.bt.motive.com; Connecting as user: ACS username" when ever the PPP connection is established, however this also means that the router's firmware automatically updates itself.
Whether that is a good idea or not is left as an exercise for the reader...
JEB
Grafter

Thanks for the clarification.
If it works on ADSL I see no reason why it won't with FTTC.  In any case they are cheap enough, when I can get a good deal on ebay I'll buy one.

James
knowdice
Rising Star

On FTTC it's just an Ethernet to Ethernet router so will work fine...
JEB
Grafter

Just an update in case anyone is thinking about getting a BT Home Hub 3.  I can confirm it works fine with PlusNet FTTC.
It was also a bargain since a brand new one only cost me £22 from ebay including P&P.

James
Denzil
Grafter

All worth knowing. So far my line is holding steady at 1920kbps, so I am going to leave it as it is for now, rather than tempt fate by messing about with it  Smiley