cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another question on the Netgear fibre router (WNR1000v3)

mapletree
Grafter

Another question on the Netgear fibre router (WNR1000v3)

Does the PN supplied router have custom firmware for PN?  I have a problem with the router and PN tell me to contact Netgear and Netgear tell me to contact PN!
10 REPLIES 10
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Another question on the Netgear fibre router (WNR1000v3)

HI mapletree,
On the left hand menu under advanced you should just have to go to LAN setup  and then add a device from there.
Jojo Smiley
mapletree
Grafter

Huh?  I know the UI.  The router does not work properly.
Martha
Grafter

Hi There,
Just thought I'd let you know I've replied to your ticket Smiley
mapletree
Grafter

Thanks .... but ....
I don't need advice on how to set it up or be "guided" through the process.
I thought this would be perfectly clear from my ticket and the posts I have made to the forums.  (I've set up loads of routers and other network hardware without encountering any similar problems.)
I am certain that these routers have one or more bugs preventing me from achieving the desired outcome.
There seems to be two main problems in this area:
  • It's difficult to get the router to accept DHCP reservations in the first place.
  • Now I have managed to enter the details into the router's UI it ignores them and assigns IP addresses as if there were no reservations.
    Netgear won't support the router as it has custom firmware and you also don't want to do so.  So I have a router which has a problem for which no-one will accept responsibility.
    EDIT: I have added two files to the ticket which clearly show the problem.
  • Chris
    Legend
    Fixes: 169

Does this only happen with Wireless devices?
    It seems strange that it's not picking up the Device name either (I've got IP reservations in my Netgear and they're working), but then again I haven't adjusted the DHCP range from the default (if I remember tonight I'll give this a test and see if it keeps the reservations).
    Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
    mapletree
    Grafter

It happens with wired devices too.
    orbrey
    Plusnet Alumni (retired)
    Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mapletree,
    Unfortunately Chris isn't in the office today so I don't know if he's been able to test as above, I'll check with him as soon as I can and let you know what's going on.
    mapletree
    Grafter

Thanks for the update.
    Another thing; not only does it not allocate the correct addresses as shown on my ticket but it may decide to allocate a "reserved" address to a different device.  Therefore it seems to behave as if the reservations were not there at all.
    Chris
    Legend
    Fixes: 169

I've tried this over the weekend on my Netgear and altering the DHCP range from default didn't alter the behaviour, the IP addresses stayed correct (one of them is hardcoded on the actual PC itself so that won't change). I'll grab a router from the office and do some more testing but I'm struggling to replicate this at the moment.
    Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
    mapletree
    Grafter

Thanks for looking into this, Chris.  I have had DHCP problems with two different routers (and with different versions of the firmware) so I do believe the problem is a bug in the firmware.  I don't know but you may get the "right" IP addresses coincidently if the relationship is cached in the router or requested by the device itself.