cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another post on speed problems

ukpalanga
Grafter

Another post on speed problems

Hello, so I was just wanted to ask if there is something going on with the speed limiting at your end? Right now my p2p download speed is completely restricted to 50kb/s and it doesn't go over it or above it. This started last month when I went over my "allowance" and hell, then I though thats fine, I went over the limit I agree my speed got cut down. Though it wasn't suppose to be cut down from 9AM in the morning... The only time when my p2p goes over 50 right now is after midnight till ~9AM in the morning. And before that time when I went over the allowance it would go at ~400-600kb/s until 4PM easily, my own scheduler kicks in at 4 and prevents downloading. On 22nd of January my billing month started from the beginning and I assumed that my speed problems will disappear but they didn't. I'm certain that there is no problem with my router or PC since I checked and rechecked it.
So yeah just to clear this up, why is my p2p speed limited to 50kb/s? 
17 REPLIES 17
James
Grafter

Re: Another post on speed porblems

Hi,
I'm not sure if you've noticed the other threads, or the open service status message regarding Broadband Network Capacity, but we're currently looking into speed issues being reported on "download server" traffic, which will also include P2P.
It's not that we've added more rate limitations, it's just that the amount of Gold traffic is higher and with P2P getting a lower priority, speeds are lower.
ukpalanga
Grafter

Re: Another post on speed problems

Hmm... Guess its a matter of time then.
Thanks for the quick reply anyway.
ukpalanga
Grafter

Hello, its been over a week since I posted this, is there any work being done on it? Since I'm still stuck with 50kbs max speed all day.
James
Grafter

Hiya,
What sort of speeds are you getting on your P2P applications during off peak times (such as 1am).
Any ideas or are you actually not awake then?  You did manage to download 10GB offpeak yesterday, so it's certainly running at some speed.
ukpalanga
Grafter

Thats weird, it shows me that I downloaded 8gb during peak time since my bill reset which was 22nd of January. So yeah, I downloaded 8-9gb in 2-3 weeks.
The speeds only go numb in the morning till ~12 o clock at night. So at 1AM p2p goes up to 700kbs. The 50.0kbs limiter seems to appear ~8-9AM in the morning.
Oh yeah, 10gb off peak was at night I bet.
PS - At the moment my friend made a large torrent just to see how far my speeds will stretch so he's the only seeder, his maximum upload speed is 400kbs, he isn't uploading or downloading anything else neither am I and at the moment I'm stuck with 35.0kbs and as it happens in doesn't go over that even by 0.1kbs which I find extremely amusing. Reforwarded my ports too so it should be fine.
James
Grafter

I don't know enough about torrents, but don't you need multiple seeds to get any form of speed?
There's no rate limits applied during the times that you're referring to, but last night was probably our busiest evening *ever* so it's quite likely that P2P speeds will have been lower.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Are you getting 35kBs not 35kbs, 400kbps is approx 50kBs so given overheads etc that sounds about right to me.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ukpalanga
Grafter

35kbs as in kb = thousandth of an mb for me.
And not so long ago(a month ago last time) we used to share files between each other via torrents and the speed was fine.
And I don't know if it was 700kbs last night I'm just saying as in it can go up to my "maximum" download speed after midnight.
James
Grafter

Ok, so 35KB/s, which is 280Kbps.
That's just down to the volume of traffic hitting our network at that time of the day.  If you think about it, that's when everyone gets into work and turns on their computers.
ukpalanga
Grafter

Okay I think we have a misunderstanding here.
1 kilobyte (which I call kb) is 1024 bytes (which is comparably nothing) so 35 kilobytes (which I marked as 35kbs) is roughly a 25th part of a megabyte and that makes 35kbs a very low speed. haha Writing this was actually a good fun.
James
Grafter

Hehe.
The problem is that generally with broadband speeds, we'll always refer to megabits per second and klobits per second.
ukpalanga
Grafter

Thats why I thought that we had a misunderstanding.
Anyways so 1 kilobit is an 8th of a kilobyte so 35 kilobytes is 280 kilobits. Which is low. So now that we got to a conclusion is there anything that can be done about this? ha
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
280Kbps is not far off the expected speed of P2P on your product during peak times, have a look on this page for the rest of the information.
Hope this helps.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ukpalanga
Grafter

I understand that it can be low during peak times and I don't mind, I usually don't even download during peak times, but I mean 9AM in the morning is definitely not a peak time. High speeds only exist between midnight up to 9AM at best.