cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another month same old problem

phyhhe
Grafter

Another month same old problem

Almost a month after previous speed problems it's happening again.  Router is connected at over 7000kbps but current actual speeds in the region of 700.  Have been getting speeds of 5-6000 and above and have changed nothing setup wise and I mean nothing.  I do understand about Maxdsl and sync speeds but even taking that into account i should have much better speeds as Connection settings page currently showing 4000kbps.
problem is I'm not sure that changing ISP would help if it is the Maxdsl fluctuations causing the problems and I'm foolishly loyal to plusnet as I've been with them 5 years and when it's good it's really good.
Just wanted to vent...
25 REPLIES 25
James
Grafter

Re: Another month same old problem

Hi there,
You actually had a resync event yesterday, whereby you connected to the BT Exchange at 4544Kbps, hence the profile change to 4000Kbps at both our and BTs end.
You're now syncing at 7104Kbps and should you maintain that speed, you should see a profile increase in the next couple of days or so.
phyhhe
Grafter

I understand that james, but that does not account for the actual throughput speed around 600kbps.  Surely even with a sync speed of only 4000 I should be getting higher actual speeds than that?  This is my point, i know that maxdsl sync speeds will occassionally drop but when it happens to me my actual speeds fall much much lower.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Where / whith what are you measuring this speed? What does the BT speedtest say your data throughput is - post the full results?
phyhhe
Grafter

As follows:
IP profile for your line is - 4000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  7104 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 670 kbps
See the problem....
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

And does High Speed broadband (under connection settings on the portal) say 4000 or something else?
phyhhe
Grafter

My a/c is PlusNet Broadband Your Way Option 2 with included 8GB bandwidth
Two days into new month and used less than 3Gb last month.
Unless I'm missing something I'm nowhere near any limits
dougrice
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

phyhhe,
Sorry to barge in. I have been having loads of problems with a MaxDsl'd line for over two years.
My modem would report 3600/448 downstream/upstream, but the Plusnet and BT Speed tests report 136kbps.
I have written up my tests @ http://www.dougrice.plus.com/Erlangs/adsl.htm
My ADSL has been ticking over at 4000 for over a week now.
In the past it has dived down to 136kbp.
All I can say is the high channel performance of my ADSL modem was rough, while the low channel numbers were high.
It was like trying to drive down teh road with one wheel on the road and one on the verge. You cannot do 70mph for long.
best wishes,
Doug
James
Grafter

Quote from: phyhhe
I understand that james, but that does not account for the actual throughput speed around 600kbps.  Surely even with a sync speed of only 4000 I should be getting higher actual speeds than that?

Ah, thanks for the clarification.  Can I ask if you have tried tweaking MTU/rWin settings for your current sync speeds.  A number of people here have had a good level of sucess when doing so.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/rwin_video.shtml
phyhhe
Grafter

James
Can't get the checker to run, get the message:
* Downloading file of size 1024000: Failed to download: Read timed out
Is that just really slow connection or is it firewall or something causing problems?
Latest speed check is:

so it's getting worse...
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The problem with the DSLreports tweaktester is almost certainly due to the low speed - it doesn't expect broadband to be that slow.
Do you see excessive latency when you ping www.bbc.co.uk (average 41ms), www.plus.net (average 49ms) and www.dslreports.com (in the USA, average 116ms)?  The numbers in parentheses are my current values.
Assuming you have eliminated your internal wiring as an issue, have you raised a speed fault ticket which resulted in PlusNet doing tests on your line?
David
phyhhe
Grafter

Spraxyt
Afraid I don't know how to test the latency, I've reached the end of my technical ability Sad  Can you explain please?
Thanks
phyhhe
phyhhe
Grafter

Now I've had the ticket returned telling me that everything is fine...
Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
James
Grafter

Not quite, the ticket was returned to you because we weren't able to find the results of any speedtests.
Regarding the MTU/rWin tweaking
So for an 6Mbps connection the RWIN would be calculated as:
6 * 10 * (MTU - 40)
Try going with an MTU of 1500, so if you set your rWin to 87600.
Does this help the situation at all?
You'll need to input these settings using drtcp:
http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@phyhhe
Apologies if you fully understand what James suggested but …
First - what version of Windows do you use?  If it's Vista tweaking with DrTCP will have no effect.  In this case doing the ping test could give useful information but I suggest you stop then.
To do the ping tests
Click Start->Run then enter cmd in the box and click OK.
In the command window that opens type
ping www.bbc.co.uk and press Enter
You should get 4 lines of tests followed by a Ping statistics summary which gives Minimum, Maximum and Average round-trip times in milliseconds.  These 3 values are of interest.  (I quoted only the average since in my case the variation was very small.)
Do the same for
ping www.plus.net and
ping www.dslreports.com
Then type exit and press Enter to close the window.
Assuming you use Windows XP (or earlier) you can download DrTCP from the site James quoted (i.e. here).  I suggest you select the ".exe" file rather than ".zip", it's only 52.5KB.  Save it to your Desktop (or other preferred location).
For comparison purposes please run a speedtest now using mybroadbandspeed.
To run DrTCP double click its icon - it doesn't install on your computer.  Note the value shown in the top box labelled Tcp Receive Window (which might be around 17500).  Ensure your network connection is displayed in the Adapter Settings box at the bottom and note the MTU setting shown on the right.  If it is blank that's fine.
Type the value James suggested (87600) into the Receive Window box at the top, then click Save then Exit.
Now - most important - restart your computer.
After restart repeat the speedtest and post the before and after results here.  Of course I'm hoping you'll also post the other numbers referred to above.
David