cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I still on ADSL1?

hangover
Grafter

Am I still on ADSL1?

I was told by PlusNet that I had been switched over to 21CN on 19 February and I changed my package from BBYW Option 3 to Premium on 2 March to take advantage (my line stats led me to believe that I could expect a significant speed increase). However, my line speed has not yet improved, in fact it seems to be slower. I know I should expect some fluctuation in speed over the first 7-10 days but having reset my router and checked my line stats (below) I am wondering if I am actually still on ADSL1.
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.5 / 16.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 11.0
7 REPLIES 7
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Am I still on ADSL1?

People moved onto 21CN remain on ADSL1 unless you ask to be moved to ADSL2+. So raise a ticket and ask for your connection to be changed to ADSL2+. At the same time ask for the upload cap to be removed so you get a faster upload speed as well.
ramidoodle
Grafter

@hangover just placed the order to change the modulation and uncap the upstream.
hangover
Grafter

Thanks Peter, and sorry for the delay in replying. Yes, as Rami says, I raised the ticket and it was actioned today (I do find it strange that I had to ask, given that I had migrate to Premium with the express intention of taking advantage of ADSL2+ ... I had even asked for an ADSL2+ compatible router ... oh well). My new line stats are below. However, it does not seem any faster yet and when I run the speed tests on various sites I am only getting results in the range 1.5-2kbps (I have been getting this sort of result since the 21CN switchover - previously I always got in the range of 5-6+kbps). Is it just a case of waiting a week or so for the speed to settle down?
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 855 / 15,323
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 21.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.0 / 19.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 9.0
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I suggest checking your IP Profile by carrying out a BT speedtest (http://www.speedtester.bt.com). If that shows as 13000kbps check Current line speed in the member centre. The latter should match the BT value. If it doesn't posting here to say so should help to get it fixed. Then disconnect from Plusnet and reconnect and you should see higher speeds (the latter actions are also needed if you haven't disconnected/reconnected since a Current line speed profile change).
David
hangover
Grafter

Many thanks spraxyt. I've done as you suggested: the 'IP Profile' for my line is 13000kbps (see below) but my 'Current line speed' in the member centre is 2000. Do I need to raise a ticket to get this amended?
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1623 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1000-99999 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :15320 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 852 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 13000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 24.09:33.64:42.27 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi hangover,
I've updated that on our side now, you may need to disconnect and reconnect to pick up the new speed. Sorry about that.
hangover
Grafter

Thanks Matt. I tried the thinkbroadband speed test first and got 1.7Mbps. Then reset router and tried again and got 11.4Mbps - big improvement!
Still puzzled as to when and why I got capped at 2Mbps, and why I was not told this had happened. And in particular, why it didn't come to light when I requested the upgrade and the ADSL2+ router. But very happy that it is finally sorted.