cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I heading for a problem with my Fibre installation?

Dalvado
Dabbler

Am I heading for a problem with my Fibre installation?

Hello everyone,
I've taken the plunge and decided to upgrade to fibre and it's due to be installed tomorrow. I thought I had it all planned out with where the modem and router will go and I'd be able to sort it all out by then. I have hit some snags though and it's worrying me.
To start with, I felt I had to do some work to do beforehand. My master socket is in the ground floor hallway and has no power outlets nearby. Due to other restrictions given to me by the lady of the house I have to locate the modem and router upstairs and in a different room to my existing broadband modem. The current room where my existing broadband modem is located is now occupied as a bedroom and I have to move it to another upstairs room. I can't put it in the living room or dining room downstairs as any visible little boxes with flashing lights wouldn't go down well and there's nowhere to hide them out of sight.
Due to all this, I thought there'd have to be a hole drilled through an inside wall for the data extension cable to get into the new room for the modem. That would have been fine, as I'd do that seeing as the engineer wouldn't be able to. Except that the drill I had didn't have a drill bit long enough to get through the whole wall. Which I just found out today as I tried to drill the hole and found it didn't go all the way through. I can't see the cable being stapled through the space between the door and frame - like I saw a Sky engineer do with a phone cable in another house that I've seen - as it seems rather tight and possibly not recommended due to wear and tear similar to sticking it under the carpet.
Am I going to face a problem when the engineer arrives tomorrow or is there another solution I'm missing out on?
The other, simpler issue is that I've just had the chance to look into the package for the router and there's no data extension cable included. Was that supposed to be in there or will the engineer bring it tomorrow?
Truth be told I'm tad embarrassed by how I've gone about this. I thought I'd read all the details thoroughly and planned it all properly, but it seems so poorly done now that I look back at it. I should have sought advice rather than let the difficulty of the situation put me off asking.
Thanks for reading through this post, it's not an easy read - it wasn't easy to write - and it's mostly my fault for the way things have gone. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10
anniesboy
Rising Star

Re: Am I heading for a problem with my Fibre installation?

If your drill bit is too short,cant you use a old screwdriver or something else,if it is brick it will be hard going .
bsanotrun
Grafter

Quote from: Dalvado
Hello everyone,
. Except that the drill I had didn't have a drill bit long enough to get through the whole wall. Which I just found out today as I tried to drill the hole and found it didn't go all the way through.

DIY shops like B&Q do long drill bits, open till 8pm ish
or have you tried drilling from the other side to meet up with the hole already drilled.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Dalvado
The other, simpler issue is that I've just had the chance to look into the package for the router and there's no data extension cable included. Was that supposed to be in there or will the engineer bring it tomorrow?

Supplied by the engineer at the time of the modem installation, nothing to do with the router or its connection to the modem.
Dalvado
Dabbler

Quote from: bsanotrun
DIY shops like B&Q do long drill bits, open till 8pm ish
or have you tried drilling from the other side to meet up with the hole already drilled.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to make it to B&Q by then. I'm not even sure about tomorrow morning either.
Quote from: anniesboy
If your drill bit is too short,cant you use a old screwdriver or something else,if it is brick it will be hard going .

I think I've tried either poking a screwdriver or trying to meet up the hole on the other end and it ended in disaster with bits of wall crumbling away on one side. Even trying to cover that up, it looks like a mess. I'm fairly useless at DIY and wouldn't have tried it again myself, but I've had a bit of bad luck getting someone more competent to do it. I'll give it another go tomorrow if it's what I have to do, but I'm not looking forward to it
Thanks for your replies bsanotrun and anniesboy.
Quote from: KevinG
Supplied by the engineer at the time of the modem installation, nothing to do with the router or its connection to the modem.

Thanks, I couldn't find that anywhere.
WWWombat
Grafter

I'm not speaking from experience of the data-extension install here, but I could have sworn I read an installation story the other day that implied the BT engineer *would* have drilled the hole if necessary. There the person had pre-prepared, in the same way as you have been doing, so didn't need to take the guy up on it.
We had a second line installed a few years ago, and the engineer was perfectly OK to drill through the wall from the outside, one floor up, to get the cable into one of the bedrooms. That was for a voice line with ADSL, rather than an FTTC install, but do they really shy away from drilling holes?
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
WWWombat
Grafter

Ah yes - found the other thread over here.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Dalvado
Dabbler

I'm not sure if I saw that thread or not, but thanks for linking to it. Before I went ahead with booking the upgrade, I went through this forum (including the FTTC trials) and the BT forums so I knew what to look forward to. There were conflicting answers; with some engineers happy to drill holes and others not. I simply took the assumption that they wouldn't, so not to be caught out on the day.*
The Plusnet Fibre Setup guide supplied with the router also states: "If required, the engineer can pin the cable to a skirting board or door frames but may not be able to drill holes in your walls or run it under carpets"
There was also a video on the BT site that I believe someone on this forum linked to: Getting ready for BT Infinity

I was sure it mentioned no drilling, but it just states no going under the carpets and only running along skirting boards.
*i.e. The BT engineer saying "Sorry pal, no can do here. That'll be a £130 callout charge." Yes, that might well be extreme when I think about it.
Dalvado
Dabbler

Just an update; all is fine. Nothing to worry about at all. My fibre is up and running very nicely and it's currently around 33Mb/s.
Thanks everyone.
anniesboy
Rising Star

What happened about drilling holes etc?
Dalvado
Dabbler

The engineer I got was wiling to drill a hole. He used the one I had started and it turned out I was just about through, as he barely had to do any drilling. He said I could have probably just used a hammer to knock the drill bit through. I pointed him to my previous handiwork and I think he got why I didn't try it.  Smiley
The rest of the job was simple enough, he just stapled data cable from a long reel upstairs, up and around door frames, through the hole above the door into the room, along the skirting board and set up a data socket.
In the end - as most of you would probably have thought - I was worrying over nothing.
I'll blame it on having a bad day yesterday and it inflaming the anxiety a bit.