Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I going to be unhappy ?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Am I going to be unhappy ?

This afternoon it really out to be pretty flat with only small fluctuations either similar to the attached of my line a couple of days ago or similar to your last one posted. That filter you've taken out, mark it a suspect for the time being - I'm not saying it's faulty because if we see similar behaviour to the 3pm graph again (except at dusk/dark) then its probably fine. Talking of dark, last night - did you have any RouterStats graphs until late?
Back to ten past one. Any idea what may have been going on around then, did you use the phone, and electrical equipment in use that may have caused a spike or burst of noise?
jjaycee1
Grafter

Bit confused regarding the reference to ten past one. Where are you getting that info? Is it from something I have submitted to you? My first post today was at 14.55pm having had the PC on for maybe 15mins. I have checked the phone and there was a call at 13.03 which I let the answer phone handle as it was probably someone telling me about PIP claims !!
I am getting the feeling you are leaning towards electrical interference as a serious contributor but again, not a thing has changed since I was with AOL right upto 20th April. The fridge and freezer would kick in, the washing machine would run, the phone would ring, Sky would be on same time as PC etc. I understand things can change but I do not believe that much in coincidence, that my DL transfer speed has only been effected since I have had replacement ISPs and routers. The only difference has been those two factors plus a more relative factor of being on a stabilsation/training period. BT would not act, but thankfully PN are responding magnificently. My albeit brief experience with the settings going to IP 1 mbps and DL of 0.93 indicates to me that my line is capable of achieving the same kind of results as with AOL......but maybe that is just me clinging on to hope ! I discount peak times as  I am paying for a no reduction at peak times premium. I am seriously looking at the router as a potential difference, but again, I am just not qualified to know for sure and maybe leaning that way due to the fact that I know it DID work well.
Anotherone
Champion

Let's be a bit more precise - reply #89 @1532 stats posted, although you did label it 3.28pm. Uptime on stats 2:23:07. so 3:28 - 2:23 = 1.05 rather than the ten past one, so the phone call may have been the trigger, another reason to mark the filter you took out as suspect. Was this a new filter that came with the new modem/router?
I'm not especially leaning towards electrical interference, I just haven't been ruling it out, because as yet we've had no other identifiable cause of the problems, and as you accept, things can change.  A change of ISP on the same exchange equipment and wires will not be the reason, but as you rightly point out the other change is the modem/router. It's unusual, but it does happen, for a new modem/router to be/go faulty or just not perform as well as another one.
It could just be that a particular combination of modem/router, long line and exchange equipment give an unstable or poor performance. This is not unheard of, and you may just be unlucky that this may be the cause. The new modem/router may be more sensitive to spikes or line noise. It's a process of elimination and can be somewhat tedious, annoyingly.
There's one thing you could do which will help with all future graphs, every time you start RouterStats and now if you wouild, can you maximise it's window - the screen captures will be bigger and show more detail.
There are 3 or 4 things that perhaps we can move forward with.
First, as you've changed the filter, we can see what difference that makes - first to this end especially as we've had a resync, can you post another Bitloading Bits/tone graph.
Second, can you leave Routerstats running this evening until as late as you can, midnight-ish would do, it will give a better feel for how you line is behaving and it's quality.
Third, tomorrow morning early-ish can you start Routerstats and leave it running as long as you can.
Fourth, have a look for the latest standard firmware for your Netgear and down load it. Don't disconnect the new modem/router or anything else yet. We need to see if things will improve as they are.
jjaycee1
Grafter

Attachments as requested. Already downloaded netgear firmware update and stored it. Will keep PC/RouterStat running until about 9.30-10pm and start again tomorrow a.m.
Anotherone
Champion

Later if you can manage it one evening, with the lighter evenings 10pm is barely late enough.
I see you get a very strong Radio 4 lLW signal where you are, there is also something quite strong around the 300 kHz frequencies as well.
jjaycee1
Grafter

I will leave it on all night tonight. Regarding the radio 4 signal does that effect me if I dont listen to it? Also what else would give a 300 KHz frequency... phone, router, fridge, sky box ? Should I try wrapping my leads(the wires from the filter in tinfoil?
Anotherone
Champion

The Radio 4 signal is being picked up by your line and is very strong, which is why there are no bits allocated to tone number 46 which is on 198.375 kHz. Radio 4 is on 198kHz.
There are two other badly reduced bits/tone, one around 302kHz and the other around 319kHz.
It won't be any of the items you mentioned and you would need a lot of tin foil for your long line to the exchange Roll_eyes
jjaycee1
Grafter

Morning has broken ! Kept the PC running thru to 3.30am and have attached the Noise Margin graphs. Current .755a.m. Noise reading is 5.8. RX Sync has and is a constant 1120 (unfortunately)
jjaycee1
Grafter

I just looked at Router Events Log and noticed the entries made for 13.05 pm yesterday which was around the time I said I used the answerphone on my cordless phone. Also I think it was the time that I got a resync back down to IP 0.75 & 0.69 DL speed. It is listed as a firewall incident.
Any comments?
Anotherone
Champion

Those noise margin graphs don't look too bad at all for a long overhead line.
RX Sync has and is a constant 1120 (unfortunately)
 Actually not unfortunately we don't want unexpected drops and resyncs.
Apart from maybe a slight line imbalance that's causing strong pickup of the Radio signals I mentioned before, so far the line doesn't seem too bad.
I don't imagine the Router log entries are anything of significance other than the fact there was a sync change. Click on the Green "i" button to see what info it gives. I don't use that router so I can't be certain.
What';s the current noise margin graph looking like?
jjaycee1
Grafter

I was wondering if the resync was anything to do with the answerphone.... again another "coincidence" ?
I have clicked on the green " i "  in the Router Event log but it does nothing. I also note there was an exact same incident..xDSL linestate down... at 16.16hrs which was when I changed filter. That incident is to be expected but not the first one as I had done nothing.
Latest Noise graph attached.
jjaycee1
Grafter

I have switched router to Netgear and updated Firmware. Connected fine but unable to get RouterStats working as I could with the Technicolor router i.e to show via graphs the Noise margin and Sync speed. I have however used the Router Stats page and it shows as per the attached Grab. You will see at the top of the attachment that it does not show the Rx Noise or Rx Sync "live " information and is drawing the graphs at 0 (zero).
Does it work with a Netgear router as it did with the Technicolor?
jjaycee1
Grafter

Got RouterStat working. Will post later on the capture details. Currently showing Noise Margin 6db & Rx Sync 1344kbps.
jjaycee1
Grafter

Need to turn off PC now so am sending the latest graphs covering time since I switched router to Netgear. Notice the complete drop off to zero at 16.30hrs of both Noise and Sync. Was this another resync ? I just did a BT speedtest and IP still 0.75 and DL speed is 0.69, so if it was a resync it has only gone back to what it was.
Note my Download connection speed on the router is at 1344kbps, would have thought this would have enhanced my download transfer speed ?
Got your PM thanks, so the posts will await your return.
Thanks
Anotherone
Champion

That's all looking quite good. There was going to be a point at which I would have said "right do you want to bite the bullet and put the Netgear on?" And, well you have done it.
Try the BT speedtester again, as the Line is still in training I would have expected the IP Profile to have picked up by now to 1Mbps, if not give it time. Check the Current Line speed at the member centre as well.
The spike down to zero at about 1630 appears on both graphs and as the sync speed was exactly the same, it looks like it is what is called a "polling issue" - either the router or cpu was busy when RouterStats wanted data and couldn't get it. You can confirm a resync didn't occur by looking at the Router Stats page, the WAN and LAN Up Times should still be 24 seconds apart.
If you go onto the Graphs tab - Common Settings tab - make sure the "Pause graphs when router doesn't respond" box has a tick in, and then click Apply & Save.
Whilst you are on the Graphs tab, go the the Y-axis Limits & Colours and Adjust the Rx Noise Maximum value to 10 and the Rx Sync Speed Maximum value to 2000. Then Click on Apply & Save.
The only thing I'm not so keen on is the Noise spikes down to 3db and the periodic steps down to 5 dB, but as long as there aren't loads of errors, we'll just see how things go for a while.
Edit: On the Graphs tab - Extras tab check that the Plot average Rx noise margin value of the previous ... has a tick in it. Click Apply & Save.