cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I going to be unhappy ?

jjaycee1
Grafter

Re: Am I going to be unhappy ?

Did the quiet line test and can hear noise, but don't know what to compare it too. Should it be absolutely silent if all is ok?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

What type of noise, a sort of crackling noise or a quiet gentle hiss or mush - is it varying at all? Remind me who you pay line rental to?
jjaycee1
Grafter

No crackling I guess "mush" might be description and no variation. Line rental to BT
Anotherone
Champion

Bummer it's BT, how loud would you say - barely perceptable or easy to hear? Is that using a cordless or corded phone?
jjaycee1
Grafter

Cordless and I had it on speaker but had to hold it close to my ear to hear anything.
Any opinion on my question regarding clicking on Disconnect on my router page? You say that this would not let the DLM think one was having probs or something similar.
Anotherone
Champion

Right, to clarify, the Disconnect on the Router page just drops the PPP Internet session to the ISP, it doesn;t affect the sync. There's not point in doing that and then power down and back up again to cause a resync because the noise margin isn't good enough at the moment, you may lose more speed.
If you've got to strain to hear any hiss or mush, then the line is probably ok.
Now as it's a cordless phone, you could try this as long as RouterStats is running and you can see the graph. Switch off the handset and switch off the power to the base station, but don't do any thing else, and see what happens to the noise margin on the graph.
jjaycee1
Grafter

Didn't notice any real change beyond the regular type of continuous adjustment e.g. 6.5 to 6.8 to 6.7 to 6.5 to 6.8 etc (if that is normal).
Are you confirming that there was yet another resync to day whilst I was not using the PC and the router is never switched off?
jjaycee1
Grafter

Just changed the filter and RX is now 1120 vs 1088.    ????Huh
Anotherone
Champion

I hope you used the disconnect procedure!
I can't tell how many resyncs you may have had, only that one occurred at about 1310 based on the stats page you've posted and the time you posted it.
Can you look at the Uptime on the Internet section, near the "Disconnect" button and post that? but if you powered down using the disconnect procedure that probably won't be any help now.
Can you post the Noise Margin graph again - if the margin is creeping up again, that would have accounted for the improved sync speed.
jjaycee1
Grafter

Nope just ripped it out and quickly put a replacement in........ ! Feeling my frustration?
Anotherone
Champion

Are you not keeping Routerstats running? This is just the sort of time really when it needs to be. I'd really like to have seen what happened between the graph you posted at 1503 and the last one.
So that other uptime is?
Being on 20CN myself I fully understand your frustration when things aren't going right.
Anotherone
Champion

Can you edit post #99 and delete the uptime.jpg     I've noted the time of 2 days, 19:39:15,  but the jpg has you username and IP address in.
jjaycee1
Grafter

Edited but note it was viewed 7 times ! Am I now at risk of nasties?
Anotherone
Champion

I doubt it, I viewed it several times and you will have twice at least I guess.
It's unlikely to have been a power dip that caused the resync as I would have expected both times to be the same if the modem/router had rebooted due to a power dip. So it was either DLM (possible) or a burst of noise - also possible. Did you look at the RouterStats graph before you changed the filter? If so, what had happened to that downward trend that was there in the 3pm graph, had it gone back up and levelled off as per the latest graph?
jjaycee1
Grafter

It had levelled off to around the 6.5 mark. Currently at 6.8 but it really does vary a few points either way. Lowest I have seen it in last 24hrs is 5.8 and that was sometime this morning when PC was on for about 1-1.5 hrs. my p.m. start up showed it at around 6.1 thru 6.5 approx but momentarily touched 7.0