cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I getting results that seem right???

bubbalicious
Grafter

Am I getting results that seem right???

I'm a bit confused and am hoping one of you kind peeps can help me before I go insane!! Huh Huh
I have a 4week old Windows Vista Toshiba Laptop, with a 802.11 b/g/n wireless, Norton Internet security, according to Bt a 4-8mbps line!
My Father has brought home from his work a Windows Xp Pro Dell Laptop (an old model), a 802.11b/g wireless McAfee security using the same BT line as me!
We are both connecting to a Belkin N-wireless Router (F5D8633-4 ver1000uk) I had to buy as I wanted the 'n' the BT Voyager from PlusNet didn't allow.  The Wireless mode is set to 802.11b&802.11g&802.11n and bandwidth 20/40mhz within the router settings, and security as 128bit wep! 
I was setting up my fathers laptop (the Xp machine) this morning, I set him up to connect to the Belkin Wireless and its all running fine!  I did a speedtest to see how  fast it was running, first noticed that my line still isn't meeting the 4-8mbps Bt say i have - they used to run a lot faster until start of January and now I can't find put why they don't! But then comparing the results from the Vista to Xp machine, I noticed the Upload speeds seem a bit odd to me? I have retested both using the link in the PlusNet pages several times and the results are always very similar!
The Vista results are : Today 14:14 Download Speed 3267 kbps (408kB/s) Upload speed 255 kbps (31.9kB/s)
The Xp results are : Today 14:14 Download Speed 2650 kbps (331kB/s) Upload speed 383 kbps (47.9kB/s)
I know that the download is from the Internet to My pc, and therefore the Vista is the quicker, but why then does the XP machine have faster speeds sending from the PC to the Internet???  The Vista machine is a much higher spec than the Fathers older Dell and shouldn't the 'n' allowance on the vista machine it faster??  I have had intermittent problems even connecting to wireless Networks using the Toshiba since I bought it 4weeks ago but thought it was all sorted??  The other problem is despite the 'n' capability looking at my network connections status I never get better than the 'g' but I do get a slightly broader coverage with it anyway, but am wondering could it be something to do with that?
Have I totally frazzled my brain and what I think seems wierd with the upload speeds in fact isn't! can someone please see if they can help me!  It doesn't seem to make any sense to me that I bought a &£1000 machine 4 weeks ago with all the duo core processors and upto date technology, and was told that was what i needed to pay to get the best of the best for the moment, my Father brings back a Dell that must be 3years old and these are the results? 
thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Am I getting results that seem right???

I can't be absolutely sure but I suspect it is Norton doing it.
I use Kaspersky  Internet Security on Vista 64 bit and I get a similar discrepancy between protection enabled and disabled
bubbalicious
Grafter

thanks oddjim,
Norton yet again! I should have guessed, they seem to be the culprit to lots of my problems-especially since moving to Vista!
I think that maybe its time I found myself a different security, so I'm going to run the Norton removal tool and then connect back up and fingers crossed!!
I appreciate your advice
Have a great weekend! Cheesy
puddy
Grafter

Dell make excellent computers so it could be down to that.
I have had used Dell computers for over 10 years and never been let down and no I dont work for them.
I buy them keep them for 3 years and then sell them.  (I always take out extra on site warranty) 
my last Desktop a dell 9150 with an intel pentium D 3.2ghz dual core chip sold for just over £300
I cannot build a system from the same spec any cheaper than Dell
Their buy now pay march 2009 interest free is good value.  They fax you an agreement you sign it and fax it back.  No posting to send it back they accept a fax copy
And Excellent build qualilty
puddy
ps
3 year warranty prices are not rip off like most other computer sellers
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: bubbalicious
The Vista results are : Today 14:14 Download Speed 3267 kbps (408kB/s) Upload speed 255 kbps (31.9kB/s)
The Xp results are : Today 14:14 Download Speed 2650 kbps (331kB/s) Upload speed 383 kbps (47.9kB/s)

Not withstanding the differences between the two machines wireless cards and the how you may have set them up, their speeds are way above what your ADSL Internet connection can achieve.  I would try the above tests when the contention on the line is low, say at 06:30 in the morning, one straight after the other.  Run the tests on both machines twice over.  Then compare and contrast.
--
Regards,
Mick
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

ADSL Max has a max of 8128Kbs down and 448Kbs up with Max premium having 832Kbs up so they are well within what the ADSL line can achieve.