cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I being restricted by BT?

nevetsecirp
Dabbler

Re: Am I being restricted by BT?

At the moment until the change takes affect then I will leave it in the test socket.
I guess it is then a case of fault finding until I find the cause. I have an issue that the internal phone cables are buryed behind the plaster.
So will have to look for other options
I have a networked printer and hardrive in the upstairs room where the modem/router used to be, and I need to connect them back in the router some how.
Its impractical to route CAT5 permantley. so was considering using HOMEPLUGS to get the network back in the upstairs room, then can I put another router/device on the end to connect the printer/ harddrive into? Again its impractical to move these to the modem/router as the master socket is in hall
cheers
itsme
Grafter

It could just be the bell wire causing the problem. http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Meaning that you don't need to do anything about the wires, just adjust the sockets.
nevetsecirp
Dabbler

It shouldn't be the bell wire as I removed that when I was fault finding with TT previously.
I guess it's going to be a slow process of putting the router back and keep changing things to find out once Ive prooved I can get faster speeds in the test socket
I Plan to start by putting the router modem in the master socket, trying a filter then working my way back until I hopefully find the culprit.
thanks for help and continued support
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Just by way of an example of the strange things that can happen, I once came across a computer (upstairs) that would cause a router (downstairs) to lose sync as soon as you switched the computer on.  I fixed the problem by replacing the computer power supply unit.  The old PSU must have been emitting a ton of high frequency electrical noise which found its way onto the mains and thence, somehow, onto the telephone wiring.   
nevetsecirp
Dabbler

Quote from: nevetsecirp
It shouldn't be the bell wire as I removed that when I was fault finding with TT previously.
I guess it's going to be a slow process of putting the router back and keep changing things to find out once Ive prooved I can get faster speeds in the test socket
I Plan to start by putting the router modem in the master socket, trying a filter then working my way back until I hopefully find the culprit.

Hi Guys my speed has drastically jumped up to about 3mb see results below
Today 17:33 3056 kbps (382kB/s) 171 kbps (21.4kB/s)
Yesterday 17:25 3232 kbps (404kB/s) 168 kbps (21kB/s)
Yesterday 17:24 3259 kbps (407kB/s) 163 kbps (20.4kB/s)
This is with the router still plugged into the TEST Socket, router readings as below
Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps) 4768Kb 448Kb

Noise Margin 8 19

Output power(dBm) 121 195

Attenuation(dB) 54 31

I have started fault finding my internal wiring, and when I plugged the faceplate back in and plugged in the MASTER socket the  Downstream Dta rate dropped down to 1344, therfore I believe the Master face plate may be at fault, what do you think?
If it is the master face plate, can I buy one and do I have to ask BT for it?
cheers
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

jim:post @Asterix187 I have split off your posts in this thread and merged them into this one http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,78891.0.html to keep everything in one place mod:end
nevetsecirp
Dabbler

Hi Guys my speed has drastically jumped up to about 3mb see results below
Today 17:33 3056 kbps (382kB/s) 171 kbps (21.4kB/s)
Yesterday 17:25 3232 kbps (404kB/s) 168 kbps (21kB/s)
Yesterday 17:24 3259 kbps (407kB/s) 163 kbps (20.4kB/s)
This is with the router still plugged into the TEST Socket, router readings as below
Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps) 4768Kb 448Kb

Noise Margin 8 19

Output power(dBm) 121 195

Attenuation(dB) 54 31

I have started fault finding my internal wiring, and when I plugged the faceplate back in and plugged in the MASTER socket the  Downstream Dta rate dropped down to 1344, therfore I believe the Master face plate may be at fault, what do you think?
If it is the master face plate, can I buy one and do I have to ask BT for it?
cheers

Can anybody    help with the Master Socket issue?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You can get one from here - I believe it is better than the BT one http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=105 don't forget one of these to go with it http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=93
However - when you plugged the faceplate back in were the internal wires connected to it. If so it could still be an internal wiring problem