Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative to Technicolor 582n Router for FTTC

karlhungus
Dabbler

Alternative to Technicolor 582n Router for FTTC

Hi,
New here, I know there's a lot of talk about this but its tricky to collate it all; I hate the supplied Fisher Price router, thinking of getting a Netgear WNR2200. Would this be suitable for the Unlimited Fibre package? Other alternatives around the £50 mark that people could recommend for FTTC?
Thanks,
8 REPLIES 8
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Alternative to Technicolor 582n Router for FTTC

Fisher Price router  Grin  Grin  Grin
Have a search of these forums as well as see what others suggest. I'm sure there are posts about that router, and there is http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114754.0.html and http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113213.0.html that may be of interest.
karlhungus
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply - I might stretch to the TP-Link, but the Asus is a bit rich for me. I do like my Netgears - good price, reliable, do the job (I know some will disagree).
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Netgears have a good reputation, but do check out the one you want to buy carefully to be sure it'll do what you want.  There was some issues last year IIRC, I believe resolved, but they were related to ADSL Modem/Routers. I don't think there was a specific problem with Routers but there are some very knowledgeable individuals about who I'm sure can provide some info.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

thinking of getting a Netgear WNR2200
From what I can see It gets a reasonable review but it's only single band ( 2.4ghz ) wireless. Whilst I suspect you don't have any wireless devices at the moment capable of operating on the 5ghz band, the main reason for replacing the TG582n, as I see it, is to get better wireless capability. So the WNR2200 might give better performance but it's not very future proof. If price is a big factor then the Tp Link range does give good value. If the WDR4300 is a bit pricey then the WDR3600 http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=14129 might be worth a more detailed look.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hooker1uk

I'm using a NETGEAR WNDR4500 N900 router. it works fantastically for me
karlhungus
Dabbler

Thanks MisterW, I may well take a look at that. Just a bit nervous of getting something that doesn't handle the FTTC throughput sufficiently (I'm new to FTTC). I've used BroadbandBuyer before, but they now have a "Fibre Routers" section (which has the expensive kit in it, mostly) but it seems that the routers under the "Broadband Routers" section are likely to be OK. Bit confusing.
Yes, Wireless - N would be nice but its more to do with detesting the Technicolor/Thomson routers (slow interface, prone to run hot, look good in a Wendy House, just... poor); I should probably also get myself a spare router *anyway* just to be on the safe side. Currently using an old Sky-branded Netgear DG834GT as a Wireless Access Point, seems OK.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

There's a review of the 2 TP link models here http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/3423/tp-link-tl-wdr3600-and-wdr4300-review-two-shades-of-black . I've no experience of either of them myself I'm afraid, but on paper, and according to the review, the WDR3600 should have no problem with FTTC throughput.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

karlhungus
Dabbler

Thanks again MisterW - does indeed look good  Wink
dick:quote