cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice wanted - should I move to Value?

grahamt
Rising Star

Advice wanted - should I move to Value?

I'm currently on a BBYW1 deal with a bit of extra usage to give me 4GB/month, which has been enough for me so far as I download larger files overnight and don't do a lot of streaming. I've been on the ADSL2+ trial since April.
As some of you know (sorry for boring everyone about this during the last few months) my downstream sync speed hasn't improved since being on the trial. It did improve at first, but since the end of May my line has been banded  for 95% of the time so that I get a constant downstream sync of 3069kb/s. When the line occasionally gets unbanded the error rates shoot up, my SNR drops at night and the banding comes back within a day or two.
Recently my upstream line has also been banded. I don't know why, and it's very depressing, as the improvement in upstream speed (to around 775kb/s) was the one big plus of being on the trial. My upstream SNR was a constant 5dB, whatever was happening to my downstream line, so I don't know what the problem was. I fear that now that the DLM has decided to restrict my upstream speed it's not going to stop doing this.
So, it looks like it might be a good idea to move to Value (now that the 18 month contract nonsense has gone away), save some money and stop fretting about why I'm not getting a higher speed.
Can anyone see any reason why I shouldn't make this move? With the new contract arrangements I can always change to another option later if there's a good reason to do so.
If I do move to Value, presumably I'd still be on 21CN WBC, just with an 8mb downstream speed cap, which is still higher than anything I'm likely to get with my current wiring setup (another long story - I'll spare you that one). Ignoring the fact that my upstream line is currently banded, in principle is upstream speed capped on Value for someone on the 21CN? It wasn't clear from the recent announcements.
Graham
3 REPLIES 3
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Advice wanted - should I move to Value?

Hi Graham.
Think you also know of my tales of woe, with 21CN....  I have just done the same as you, and moved to value, which will take place on the 8th Nov.  I posted in my thread about the 21Cn issue on value, but not had a reply as yet. I was going to move to SKY, as I have home phone as well, and save a bit more cash, but in all honesty, I couldnt be bothered with the hassle of MAC codes and moving the phone.  Also sky has more expensive line rental, and all I would have saved would have been around 4quid, and the possibility of going through all the hassles again.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If I do move to Value, presumably I'd still be on 21CN WBC, just with an 8mb downstream speed cap, which is still higher than anything I'm likely to get with my current wiring setup (another long story - I'll spare you that one). Ignoring the fact that my upstream line is currently banded, in principle is upstream speed capped on Value for someone on the 21CN? It wasn't clear from the recent announcements.

Hi Graham,
That is indeed what would happen - and yes, your upstream would be the standard of 448kb/s on the value product. As to the move, you're right about the contracts so there's nothing keeping you there if you aren't happy.
Hope that helps,
grahamt
Rising Star

Thanks. I'll think about it for a few more days, as my upstream line seems to have been freed up again.
I guess I should have moved a week or two ago - then I could have stayed on ADSL2+. On the other hand, I hardly ever do big uploads, so the extra speed isn't much of an issue.
Graham