cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please

urga

Advice please

Hi
I am new to plusnet, as I have just moved house to an area with no fibre and therefore I am on adsl. That problem aside, can anyone tell what I am doing wrong with my connections? I have a pc and xbox in one room with only one rj45 cable. I tried the cable splitters but that did not work so I purchased a Netgear FS108 switch. I plugged both the pc( windows XP) and the xbox into the switch and connected the switch,via the single cable to one of the ports on the modem supplied by Plusnet.This does not seem to work on either the pc or the xbox.  If I connect the pc directly to the cable without the switch I can get it to work. What am I doing wrong?
Any advice/insults will be most welcome.
Regards
Dave
11 REPLIES 11
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Advice please

What you're trying to (with the switch) is correct and should work.  Do you have link lights lit on all the ports on the switch that you've used for your cables?
urga

Yes the lights on those ports are on. They do blink a little every now and then ie they are not completely solid.
amcclean
Rising Star

Are you using a modem supplied by pn for fibre or a new one supplied for asdl.
The fibre modems are set up differently to those for adsl.

podman
pwatson
Rising Star

OK lights on, that's good.  Start with with just the PC, switch, router and two ethernet cables.  Plug the PC into the router using cable A and test.  Then use cable B and retest.  Now you have two known working cables, plug cable A from a LAN port on the router to a port on the switch.  Plug cable B from the switch to the PC and retest.
urga

It's the modem for adsl. I have already confirmed the integrity of the cable by simply using a cable link to connect the pc directly to the modem using the same cable. Likewise with the xbox. It's only when I use the switch that I have problems. Even If I only use it in place of the cable link.I get ' ' limited or no connectivity ' It seems to be a problem with the modem acquiring the network address
pwatson
Rising Star

You've confirmed the integrity of both cables?  Does the PC show the the network card as 'connected if you look at the adapter in control panel'?
avatastic
Grafter

Try connecting port 1 of the switch to port 1 of the modem. Most switches will detect there is a remote switch at the other end and use the port as an uplink port automatically.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

OK, cable from modem/router to switch works, have you positively tested the cable from the switch to the PC?
Have you connected just the PC (without the X-Box) to the switch (and tried an alternative cable from the switch to the PC)?  If so, it sounds like a faulty switch to be honest.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
urga

Sorry chaps
I have tried all these things to no avail.The switch is good because I have already had it downstairs at the modem with all 8 ports connected(from other rooms) and it worked fine. It is when I try to run two cables into the one I have from in the room in question,that the problems occur.  Like I said previously, I initially tried the cable splitters and when these failed I removed the switch from downstairs and took it upstairs to try . I have read that this should work fine,so I was surprised that I cannot get it to work.
I have tried both the PC and the xbox on their own ,and both failed to work. As soon as I remove the switch from the equation I can get both to work,but not at the same time,obviously
pwatson
Rising Star

Have you got a FS108 V1 or V2?  Does it have an 'Uplink' switch and if so, is it pressed in and have you used the right hand port to connect to the router?
urga

V2. It has auto uplink,so I assumed that it did not matter which port was used as it auto senses the ports?