Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed !!

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Advice needed !!

I've been having problems with the broadband (  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,104358.0.html)  - so Ive removed the ringer wire attached to terminal 3 on all 3 BT sockets.
Now the Panasonic DECT phone only rings at my end once for an incoming call - and the person at the other end doesn't even hear it ring!!!  Both the sockets in use are filtered.-Have I dropped a major b*****ck?
Or is there something I could try ?? Sad
EDIT - The message I get when I try to phone home on mobile is " Home network terminated call"
6 REPLIES 6
x47c
Grafter

Re: Advice needed !!

The "phone rings once" is known as "ring trip"
The exchange thinks the phone is being answered so cuts off the ringing signal down the line to the phone
This normal happens when you lift the receiver and by doing so modify the line's charactriscis as measured from the exchange and which are detected by the exchange - whereupon it cuts the ringing signal
Externally it's (usually) caused by corrosion in a connection box bridging a something.   The higher voltage/power of the ringing signal causes this corrosion to break down and conducts enough extra power for the exchange to think instead that the phone has been lifted off the hook.  So you get a single ring and then it cuts out.
Can't think at the moment of typical miswires internally that can produce this - most likely a short somewhere.
The person dialling in never hears the actual ring tone - it's an exchange generated tone.  Your line can be totally out of action due to a break and anyone ringing in to it will still hear a ringing tone in their earpiece.
As ever the first advice is to test by just using the test socket behind the NTE5 to determine whether or not the problem is in your house internal wiring or whether it is an external BT fault.

davidj66
Aspiring Pro

@x47c - thanks for that -so removing the ringer wire on terminal 3 shouldn't be the cause?
x47c
Grafter

No I can't see it as being - I did it many years ago on mine:- removed the ring wire at the master and at all the outlets.
Might be worth checking that the now free hanging wire inside the tele sockets is not accidentally brushing against a contact - put a piece of masking/sellotape tape over the end to "insulate it"
Next stage is to chekc your line functionality from the master test socket and see definitively if/not is your internal wiring.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro

@ x47c -Unfortunately  I haven't got a modern NTE5 type master socket - my system is star wired - the ADSL router is in on the one "branch" with a mini master (no test socket) ;whilst the DECT phone is connected to another "branch" ( a third socket which is unused is also on this branch).
I'll try with a standard corded phone later on to see if it rings at all and I'll also open up the sockets again to make sure that the ring wire isn't shorting anywhere.
In your original answer you explained why the exchange would think that the phone had been answered -would this also explain why the call appears to be terminated from my end If I don't answer straight away?Huh
x47c
Grafter

Yes that would sound logical.
The exchange would stop the ringing signal and "open" the line for communication to commence.
Unfortunately of course the phone is in reality still on the hook.
So I guess it would look - from  the exchange's electronic sequencing viewpoint, as if you had hung up at the very instant it was removing the ringing signal.
You only get a chance to answer properely at/during the first ring until whatever is causing the problem breaks down its resistance 0.5 or so seconds later.
As I recall in normal circumstances the action of you picking up the phone operates a switch in the phone which switches in/out some resistance bank across the line inside the phone body and it is this change of resistance as sensed by the exchange which acts as its "command" that the phone has been answered.  By the time the phone is at your ear the line has then been opened for communication.
I 'think' this is all related to why phones have 'ren' numbers and you are only mean't to connect a total of 4 or 5 rens to the line at any one time - most modern phone have ren's of 1.  If you connect too many then it all upsets this system and then things start not ringing at all.
Anyone else any ideas'......?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

David, this is due to the "water in your line" that we've been discussing. As x47c has said, it is called "Ring-trip".
NOW is the time to ring BT as I have just indicated in the post I've just made in your other thread and referred back to post #7 in that thread.