cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for on-and-off usage of the internet?

JoeStaines

Advice for on-and-off usage of the internet?

I've been using PlusNet for a few years now and i like the service, but for now and next year im often at University during my term time where im not using the internet at home, so it's not being used at all (my parents don't use it), so for the moment i've been using the value package. However i do come home for the holidays and im often home for a month or so and i've always been heavy user, so the the 10GB is a drop in the sea really. I guess the most obvious option is to leave it at the least expensive package when im away then switch it to the package i want just before the start of the billing day of the month.
But is there any more i could do just than to put it on the most basic package, without disconnecting the service entirely? Especially since that basic package has gone up in price a bit (uncontracted). Maybe have the rate limit set to 256kb/s like when you go over the limit and pay a few quid a month to keep the line running?
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Advice for on-and-off usage of the internet?

I think a call to the Customer Options Team might be useful in your circumstances to discuss what they can offer (0800 432 0200 weekdays 09:00 to 17:30 excluding public holidays).
If you do end up yo-yo-ing between products I think  you could do that under contract though a new 12-month one would start every time you swap. Would that concern you? Since product changes take place at next billing date  there is no need to wait to "just before billing date" to request it.
David
JoeStaines

Well i would need to change it before the billing date so that when i am home it's ready when im there. If i change it a week after the billing date and im home that week, then i'd probably be going back by the time the next billing date comes around.
Is it possible to switch between contracted products so easily? So is the contract just if you leave plusnet entirely?
godsell4
Rising Star

what account are you currently on? If it is a Broadband Your Way account you can change account each month. See my signature.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
JoeStaines

Nah i was on the service just before their current one. If i can freely switch between the current contracted services than thats a bit better, but i was wondering if there was more i could do. I'll have to maybe give em a ring at some point, but if anyone else has any other answers then im all ears.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: JoeStaines
Is it possible to switch between contracted products so easily? So is the contract just if you leave plusnet entirely?

Yes, switching shouldn't be a problem though a new 12 month contract will start whenever you switch. The Unlimited/Essentials FAQ says:
[quote=http://community.plus.net/unlimited-faq/#10]
I’m already part way through an annual/18 month contract, can I still upgrade?
Yes, you will be released from any existing contract and a new contract started based on the terms you agree to when upgrading.
(Changing from Unlimited to Essentials still counts as an 'upgrade'.) The contract is just concerned with taking your business elsewhere*. Within contract it is still possible to leave but there are penalty costs.
However I do recommend contacting the COT in your situation.
* Moving from fibre to non-fibre (not applicable in your case) might be a more complex issue.
David